.NET runtime error

I posted this question on the MSFN forum about a week ago, but have had no replies, so I thought I'd try here.

I have a stand alone PC, XP SP2, all updates. Windows updates offered .NET framework 2. After installing it, I get about twice a day an event error log:

Source .NET Runtime

Category None

Event ID 0

The description for Event ID(0) in source (.NET Runtime) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE=flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to open shim database version registry key-v2.0.50727.0000

I do not understand this description. What Help and Support is being referred to? With what should I use the /AUXSOURCE=flag switch, and how/where do I set the value of flag? What is the shim database version registry key? How can I determine what app, if any, is causing this message to appear?

I don't connect to remote computers (except, of course when browsing, or to my ISP servers for email). I don't use any instant messaging or Windows messenger (disabled), etc. Services such as Alerter, Messenger, Net Logon, are disabled.

I have about four or five apps that need .NET framework 1.1, which is also installed (with updates). These apps run OK and I never got .NET runtime errors with just .NET framework 1.1 installed. None of these were running at the time the error was recorded.

I have not been able to correlate the time of these error messages with the use of any particular app or process. There are no other events logged (info, warning or error) either in application or service, that are anywhere close to the .NET runtime error in time.

I have set the .NET Runtime optimization service to manual, but the errors occur whether that service is running or not. I also tried disabling it, no difference

I am not into developmemt of software, whether based on .NET or any other platform.

As far as I have been able to fix them automatic update is switched off for all apps and I have no scheduled tasks enabled. (I prefer to check for updates and do routine scans, etc. manually in my own time).

I tried uninstalling .NET framework 2, and of course then the errors did not occur, but reinstalling it they are back. I realise that I don't really need .NET framework 2 at present, but no doubt as apps get updated I will need it later, so would like to find a fix for this now.

Any help, information or advice would be most welcome.

did you get this error with .net 1.1?you don't need .net 2.0 or 1.1 unless you run an app that needs it.

No, as I said, I never got or get these errors with .NET framework 1.1. and the apps needing 1.1 work fine, with or without addition of .Net framework 2 (all but one also work if only .NET 2 is installed).

I know that I don't need .NET framework 2 at present, and I could uninstall it. It's just that I'd like to find out what's causing this error message and if possible fix it. Sooner or later I will need .NET framework 2. Meantime, apart from the irritating error log, it does not seem to affect anything. All apps and system work normally.