Any of these a good system for under $300?

jackwanders

So after some research, I've decided to abandon the idea of wireless surround for my parents' living room. Instead, to avoid the 'wiring all over the room' issue, I'm just going to buy a standard HTIB, run the wires from the receiver to a faceplate on the wall, down the wall to the basement, along the ceiling (under the living room floor) and back up into the wall behind the couch. Another faceplate, and the speaker wire to the rear surrounds. A little big more work, but worth the time, I think.

So now, I'm looking for a standard HTIB system, under or around $300, no dvd player. And my parents are NOT audiophiles and not fans of super-loud audio, so as long as it delivers decent sound at a reasonable volume, they'll be pretty much blown away.

Anyway, here are three systems I'm looking at (click to open product page):

Onkyo HT-S580

Panasonic HT-15

Yamaha YHT-150

From what I've read, these seen to be pretty well reviewed, at least on the retail sites. Also, because the goal is to have all four speakers on stands, the panasonic model has the extra bonus of including stands for the front speakers.

But I'm interested to hear what some of you guys think. Some of you seem to really know your stuff, so I'd appreciate your input. And if you have a suggestion for a system I haven't listed, please, let me know. I'm all ears.

bangbang023

I'd go with the Yamaha or Onkyo. I'd lean on the Yamaha since I haven't heard the Onkyo, but I know the Onkyo gets good reviews.

jackwanders

Oh, and another question while I'm here. Anyone know of some 'bang-for-your-buck' speaker stands. If I get a system w/o stands, I'll need a set of four. As long as they allow the speaker wire to run inside the tube of the stand, that's good enough for me.

bangbang023

The one's BB sell are nice but are also expensive and since they don't have some crazy technology in them, I've never paid much attention to stands. Can't help you there, sorry.

jackwanders

Well, ZDNet rates the Yamaha YHT-150 an 8.6, with an average user rating of 8.6 as well. Sounds pretty good to me.

I"ll give this thread a day or so, see if anyone has any suggestions, but this system looks to be what I'm looking for and what my parents will enjoy.