MOTORAZR V3 Review

Alright, this is my first hardware review, so please bear with me. I know that the Razr has been out in the world for quite some time now, however only recently has it been available in Canada. So, in joining with the fad that this phone presents, I purchased one for myself as an early Christmas Gift. In general I was looking for just a phone; not one with all the extra gizmos like and MP3 player, video recorder, or camera. So those features, for me are a bonus on this phone.

2.jpg

General Specifications

Integrated Camera (640x480)

Dual colour displays (Internal 4K Colour CSN Display)

Quad Band GSM

Bluetooth Wireless Technology

Ultra-thin profile

Anodized Aluminum Exterior Finish

7.jpg

Box Contents

Motorola V3 RAZR handset

Fido SIM Card

Charger

Leather Holster and belt clip

Network and User Manuals

1.jpg

General Comments

Build Quality

The exterior shell of the RAZR is a combination of aluminum and plastic. Most of the backside is taken up by the battery cover so the only real metal part of the phone is the top part of the flip. Even though the exterior is mostly plastic, it feels solid. There is no flexing of the materials if you apply pressure to it. On the interior, the keypad is made of an interesting thin, ?precision cut metal? that took a little getting used to at first. Once used to it, however, it is very usable; and doesn?t slow down sending SMS messages all that much. Overall, the phone feels good in the hand, and is relatively easy to hold while talking. The only thing I notice is that the RAZR is a bit wide, measuring 55mm, so it?s rather like holding a credit card up to your ear.

5.jpg

6.jpg

P.S. I'll post more pictures later... after my camera's battery recharges...

Edited by trek.

hmm it seems that everywhere around the world they give different boxes for the V3. Mine came in the original (i think) aluminum or some metal case that slides open.

anyway having used it for a while i can tell you that the keypad wears out very easily especially if you text a lot.

post-60049-1133657524_thumb.jpg

post-60049-1133657553_thumb.jpg

post-60049-1133657567_thumb.jpg

anyway its still a nice phone :) nice review and pictures

For those, like me who just want a sleek, lightweight phone, and don?t mind carrying around a separate iPod, then I?d recommend the Motorola RAZR V3.
i rather carry an ipod around :laugh:ugh:

Yeah I want to get one from Rogers (only $99) but I don't have enough money lol. I hope I can make some money quick and get it before christmas.

Yea, I saw that from Rogers, but if you do get theirs, you're stuck with it for 3 years. That, in terms of a cellphone is a pretty long time ;)

Yea, I saw that from Rogers, but if you do get theirs, you're stuck with it for 3 years. That, in terms of a cellphone is a pretty long time ;)

Well, you could upgrade the phone... Or least I was able to on an existing contract

Or you could give it to a family member... That's never failed me

By the way, nice review :)

Edited by planetik

My Z520a is better. ;) Width is shorter than yours. Replacable style covers. Menu interface more asthetically pleasing. OS performs better. The list goes on. But the pictures look really nice tho, I must admit.

dL

this is completely different from nokia 9500, sony ericsson p910i in terms of size (and maybe even features).

those two phones (me having a p910i) are BULKY!

nokia 9500 looks like a pencil box.

My dad has one and he loves it (got it in the metal box also), got the motorola bluetooth car kit also, his doesn't shoot video though :(

I am guessing i would have to take it to a motorla store for them to upgrade the firmware to shoot video, but then they would charge alot of money and i don't think my dad really cares any way.

He has had it for about a year, and besides the one time he had to return it he has had no problems, he had the T720 before so this is a big step up, i think its a great phone bar the address book with quick dial and wateva, the v3i looks like a nice revised model of the v3, why can't nokia make phones as thin as this

My Z520a is better. ;) Width is shorter than yours. Replacable style covers. Menu interface more asthetically pleasing. OS performs better. The list goes on. But the pictures look really nice tho, I must admit.

dL

I wont touch sony's after experiencing their DRM! :|

I wont touch sony's after experiencing their DRM! :|

What does DRM have to do with phones? :huh: And also, it's Sony Ericsson. Not JUST Sony. And Ericsson does the technology and stuff for it I believe. I have to agree though, Sony's quality is degrading year after year, but anything is better than Motorola in terms of... well everything.

dL

What does DRM have to do with phones?

Quite a bit :rolleyes: , considering the drm was the reason i sold my PHONE in the first place. My nokia doesnt give me that crap when i want a ringtone to work.

And also, it's Sony Ericsson. Not JUST Sony

Ok mate, lets not split hairs :p

I love how the desing on this phone, IMO this phone gets:

Design: 10/10

Features 5 /10 ( has the same as most triplets)

price: 10/10 ( as a contract phone that is, if purchased with no contract it's a HELL NO )

So until Motorola UPs the features in the razr, which should be in the v3i, then it would be a phone worth considering... My 2 cents anyway...

Edited by maudit
  • Like 1

is it me, or do all motorolas feel cheap in your hand? i owned a v120c and tried a e815 and both phones, past and present felt like i was holding a peice of crap. no substance. dont get me wrong... call quality on them is awesome, features are nice, the UI is excellent (when it doesn't freeze) and they have good features, but I use my phone a LOT and having something that is "fashionable" and not durable is a big no no. Even my rubberized nextel from work began to feel like garbage after a few months of use.

Quite a bit :rolleyes: , considering the drm was the reason i sold my PHONE in the first place. My nokia doesnt give me that crap when i want a ringtone to work.

Ok mate, lets not split hairs :p

Neither does my SE k750 :rolleyes:

I've been wanting this phone for the reason of it being slim and makes you look cool :x At BestBuy I can get it for $99+2yr contract, but sadly I have to stay on my parents contract until 2007 because Cingular made us upgrade from AT&T :\