Worth the update

Hey guys i was wondering is it worth updating to the latest mac update thingo seeing as people are having so much troulbe with it

It's always a good idea to update to the latest. Currently at 10.4.3. What trouble are you talking about?

Unless by "mac update thingo" you mean 15" High-definition PowerBooks with the "lines".

well like people are complaing about some things arnt working and fans spinning more and stuff like that, i mean every update has its good and bad sides

Don't "rest assured" of anything. If your computer works fine now, then don't risk updating it until after you've checked it out. Browse a few forums, read some reviews, then make your decision. Seems like this is what you're doing, good job :D

I'm surprised by how many people just install whatever pops up on Software Update without even giving it a second thought. Apple has released some monumental clangers over the last few years, yet people still trust every update blindly. Still, bless 'em, it's people like that who do the final open beta test for the rest of us.

ya, the update works fine for me. Sure my computer was working 'good enough' before the update, but after the update I guess you could say that it's now working better than 'good enough'. Keeping up with the latest updates is, more often than not, a good thing to do. Even forthose people who do update and find an issue, it's not long before it's fixed.

Remember that an update patches up security holes and is designed to make a more stable and compatible OS. This fact alone should encourage people to take the free updates.

Don't "rest assured" of anything. If your computer works fine now, then don't risk updating it until after you've checked it out. Browse a few forums, read some reviews, then make your decision. Seems like this is what you're doing, good job :D

I'm surprised by how many people just install whatever pops up on Software Update without even giving it a second thought. Apple has released some monumental clangers over the last few years, yet people still trust every update blindly. Still, bless 'em, it's people like that who do the final open beta test for the rest of us.

You will find that these problems only effect like -1% of there user-base.

I have been using Macs for a few years now and I have installed every update without incident so far.

Well that's obviously not true. I can think of a couple of major OS X updates that had to be pulled completely because they were hosing people's systems. It's not just restricted to major OS X updates either... hell, Apple was forced to release a downgrader to remove Quicktime 7.0.3 and take it back to 7.0.1 because of bugs, and that was only a couple of months ago.

You are being quite generous to say 1%, that's an understatement. Sure, on average most updates are fine. But installing every update as soon as it appears on Software Update is just asking for trouble sooner or later.