[help] What is a lens adapter

Hello,

I am quite new to photography. I want to know the difference between a lens adapter and an add on lens e.g. tele lens or wide lens.

I have recently bought a S2IS and want to know if there is anyway I can protect the lens. Yesterday I was shooting in a tall building and becuase of the wind, a lot of dust stuck on the lens. i am scared to touch any cloth on it as some guys do not recommend it.

Kalpesh

I don't think you can fix a filter on your S2 like you can do on SLRs cameras. Search for 1.x tele for your S2 and look if there is also a filter that can be fixed on the 1.x tele. that could be possible

what you want is a lens filter. those are typically just pieces of glass, the same diameter as your lens, say like 52mm. so you buy a 52mm filter and you screw that on to the front of your lens to protect it. filters also serve other purposes such as adding tones, like sepia etc. HOYA is a good brand of filter. i use a standard clear UV filter on all my lenses to protect them. if something bad happens, you wreck a $50 filter instead of a $500 lens etc.

to clean a lens, you probably want to get special microfiber cloth, and a can of compressed air or blower. do NOT use any sort of fluid on a filter, because they have special coating that you'll just wash away (i know, i did it to my first filter).

a lens adapter, sometimes called a step-ring, adapts your lens to other size filters. for example. you have a 52mm lens, and a 70mm sepia filter, you can use a lens adapter in between to put those together. this is completely different from another lens, such as a wide or telezoom lens like you mentioned.

hope that helps.