[article] Why MP and pricey equip doesnt matter

Appreciate you posting this article. I personally am tired of explaining this concept to people who are wowed by cheap 12MP interpolated digicams... hopefully it will serve good purpose on this forum...

12MP would be really great if you are doing trimming and printing of LARGE images :)

but the most important is to get a decent camera with decent image sensor and lens, else there will always be problem with the pics. and 1 more, its the skill and creativity that counts

12MP would be really great if you are doing trimming and printing of LARGE images :)

but the most important is to get a decent camera with decent image sensor and lens, else there will always be problem with the pics. and 1 more, its the skill and creativity that counts

Not necessarially. A consumer level 12mp camera (actually highest now is 8MP) wouldnt print near the quality of a prosumer (not full fledge professional, but still a SLR camera) 6-8MP camera. Detail in the image would be lost, and with the consumer camera, you couldnt shoot in low light due to the noise, plus no RAW mode

i have a 5mp sony and i love it - you cannot take good photos with just a good camera no but you cannot take perfect photos with a cheap VGA/1-2 mp camera

i have a 5mp sony and i love it - you cannot take good photos with just a good camera no but you cannot take perfect photos with a cheap VGA/1-2 mp camera

did you read the link at all?

Maybe because it's entirely an artist's eye, patience and skill that makes an image and not his tools... The more expensive cameras and lenses don't do much of anything significant for the huge increases in price.

but i find this quote the best:

Better gear will not make you any better photos, since the gear can't make you a better photographer.

Photographers make photos, not cameras.

that can be applied to almost everything. What good is Photoshop if your not good at using it. When i see threads with people telling a person who wants to get into digital art that they have to buy Photoshop because its the "standard" im :wacko: . Thats a really expensive buy to see if you want to do something. Go with the cheaper software or the free programs out there on the net. The program doesnt make the artist. I wanted to play with 3D graphics im not going to buy a program to see if it grows on me and thats why Maya Personal Learning Edition and Blender (which has grown on me more) were perfect.

I agree with this article a little, but:

I'm a sports photographer, so quality equipment means higher quality photos (when shot right). I shoot with a Nikon D2X, along with various lenses; (and im not bragging) but some of those lenses are $1500+. Usually, higher priced lenses are longer telephoto style lenses. Now don't get me wrong, I have some nice lenses that were a fraction of that price and they work for certain situations.

Seriously, in the professional industry, sometimes higher-priced equipment gets you better features. Again, like he said "Better gear will not make you any better photos, since the gear can't make you a better photographer. Photographers make photos, not cameras." So if you cant use your equipment right, then there's no use in spending the money.

i'm guessing the article was targeted at new users to the photography industry and those who just started picking up the hobby ( like myself ).

i do agree with IanD on some of his points though. Most professionals who work with the news, ngc photo journalists etc. do use high end equipment for their work, i guess because there is an important need for it...

i'm guessing the article was targeted at new users to the photography industry and those who just started picking up the hobby ( like myself ).

i do agree with IanD on some of his points though. Most professionals who work with the news, ngc photo journalists etc. do use high end equipment for their work, i guess because there is an important need for it...

Well truthfully im still a "newb" to photography, but i needed some christmas present, and although i was happy with *most* of my Canon A510's shots, there were a few which were of my grandmothers christmas party which came out crappy due to the small sensor and low light that it would have been nice to have

Which is why i bought the Nikon D50 SLR for $580 After Rebates

well the article is aimed to people that think with better and higher MP body, they will make better photos

I simple exemple is only Nikon D50 vs Canon Rebel XT.

I saw many of my friends and other people saying they want the rebel because for almost the same price, they have the 8MP canon instead of the 6.1 D50/D70/D70s.

the most important equipement anyway is the rock and not the body!

Pink: I agree. I think the Cannon camera is a better value when compared with the Nikon D70s. The D70s has lower resolution than the cannon for around the same price. Although the shutter speed is a little higher on the Nikon, the Cannon could still whoop some ass.

well you must misreading me because I've never said canon is better than nikon. There are plenty comparisons you can make with nikon and canon like D50 and XT, like D70s and 20D, like D200 and 5D, etc

they all compare and it's all a matter of the feeling in your hand, and the lil features that some has and others don't (not very important usually).

And about the shutter speed? what model is faster?

D70s=1/8000s as the 20D

D50=1/4000s as the XT

you need to compare apple with apple

That's just silly. Give someone with a bit of photography knowledge... a SD300 and a 20D. The pictures taken by the D20 will look 10x better.

When it comes to D50 vs 350D and D70 vs. 20D, their resolutions do not play a huge role. It's the lenses that do ;)

That's just silly. Give someone with a bit of photography knowledge... a SD300 and a 20D. The pictures taken by the D20 will look 10x better.

When it comes to D50 vs 350D and D70 vs. 20D, their resolutions do not play a huge role. It's the lenses that do ;)

But in order to get those pictures that look better you have to know how to take a picture.

I want the D50 over the XT just because of it's feel in my hand. Starting to save for it today.