World Cup 2006

FIFA Organising Committee approves team classifications and final draw procedure

Brazil, England, Spain, Mexico, France, Argentina, Italy, Germany are the eight seeded teams heading the groups for the final draw of the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ in Leipzig on Friday, 9 December. The FIFA Organising Committee, chaired by Lennart Johansson (Sweden), reached this decision at its meeting today. The committee also approved the composition of the names in the other pots as well as the procedure for the final draw.

The committee based its criteria for seeding the teams on the 32 finalists' performances at the FIFA World Cup finals in 2002 and 1998 (ratio 2:1) and the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking in the years 2005, 2004 and 2003 (ratio 1:1:1). Brazil consequently attained the maximum of 64 points. Italy with 44 points – a one-point lead over the USA (43) and six points ahead of the Netherlands (38) – also heads a group (cf. the complete tables).

The FIFA World Cup regulations stipulate that geographical criteria must also be taken into account in the draw. Each group may not include more than one team per confederation, with the exception of Europe, which has 14 representatives. Consequently, six of the eight groups will comprise two European teams. Serbia and Montenegro were allocated to a special pot to avoid drawing three European teams into one group. The reason for the decision allocating one of the nine remaining European representatives into this bowl was the FIFA/Coca-Cola Ranking in November 2005, in which Serbia and Montenegro occupied 47th place – the lowest position of the teams in question.

At the draw, Serbia and Montenegro will be allocated to one of the three groups that are headed by a non-European team, in other words, either Brazil, Argentina or Mexico.

Cant miss that.

Yes, im a football ######. :laugh:

Go BR !!!

How England were second seed after Brazil I'll never know. Seems like the losses to both Northern Ireland and Denmark have been forgotten about.

Why do you say that ? :huh:

Go BR !!!

:woot:

Because England have won everything they needed, which is pretty sad I know. They should win everything not just the ones they need. That IMO is World Class.

but in other news GO ENGLAND!

it something to do about previous world cup rankings like the last four world cups we have qualifed for.

something like that.

Not really suprised at the seedings. Seems like it's going to be a tough world cup

And also in january there is the african cup and there is going to be quite alot of players going missing because they have chosen to play for there countrys then clubs. which is far

I see.

Well, Mexico got there because they had excellent resulst lately too. They are 7th in the FIFA ranking, ahead Italy, Germany England and other big countries.

Im sure they will do a great world cup in 06. Was a great pleasure to see them playing in the last confederations cup (they even won against Brazil, arghhhhh).

Anyway.

Go BR !!!

:-P

How England were second seed after Brazil I'll never know. Seems like the losses to both Northern Ireland and Denmark have been forgotten about.

The game with Denmark was just a friendly defeat. England was still on top in their group.

Germany are already assigned to Group A so that leaves the other seven teams which get put through a kinda lottery system. So what FIFA will do is as they did in the 2002 World Cup, they'll use the teams last two grades from Word Cup matches along with its ranking over the last three years to determine who makes it into the first pot, as there is four pots (32 teams divided by 4 = 8)

So whoever wants to do the maths go ahead. lol But that's how it's done.

What i found an absurd is that the last world champion has to qualify for the WC too...imo, the chmapion should have the place assured.

Till today i dont understand why they create this stupid rule.

About the referees

You know what they use in the brazilian championship ?

A small spray which they use to mark the ground for the ball and players wall, so like that in the free kicks nothing can move (yes, you can but the referee will see it and give an yellow, this work great there).

Its has a very weak white color (you can only notice if the camera is zoomed in) and it will vanish few mins after used.

I hope England do well, I aint building my hopes up too much but I know we can get to the semis at least if we try hard enough

sure we've had our bad games but we do play well in world cups, i mean we only got out last time because we faced brazil and with a team like that what can you expect ;)

My support goes as follows ( and in that order ) if a team at the top goes, I follow the one directly below it :D

USA - because I'm American

England - because I follow the EPL religiously

Portugal - because Cristiano Ronaldo & Rui Costa rock!

Italy - because I'm part Italian

I really hope the US go far, but I can't see them making it all the way to the final.

Ryan

---------------

Come on the Red, White & Blue

Ronaldo was an ###### in today's game versus Benfica. :crazy: But, yes... PORTUGAL!!!!!!

Yeah, he did act like a little kid today, very disappointing. He even flipped off the home crowd

when he got substituted!

I also liked him better with his hair cut shorter!

Because England have won everything they needed, which is pretty sad I know. They should win everything not just the ones they need. That IMO is World Class.

but in other news GO ENGLAND!

I agree, England have a very good chance of winning the World Cup next year. With players like Rooney, Gerrard, Owen, Beckham, Lampard, Terry, Carragher any team would have a fantastic chance. 2006 is the year that most of the players should be close to their peak in terms of performance.

But at the same time I would prefer Liverpool to win the Champions League again than England win the World Cup ;)

What can I say, he doesn't like to lose and when he does, he takes it like a sore loser. Nonetheless, lets go Portugal :D

Yes he is a sore loser, anyone remember his face and the tears after Euro 2004? That was funny.