A Neowin Guide to Linux Distributions

nice, im a n00b to nix's.

WTF!?!?!?!?

:| :huh:

For a nOOb like me which distro would be a good fit for me? I am a windows enthusiast but am looking for something different maybe to use but it has to support wireless because I have wireless cards like Linksys and D-Link so I need supported drivers for them. e-mail me back at my e-mail address KPark214@netzero.net

• 1 month later...

For a nOOb like me which distro would be a good fit for me? I am a windows enthusiast but am looking for something different maybe to use but it has to support wireless because I have wireless cards like Linksys and D-Link so I need supported drivers for them. e-mail me back at my e-mail address KPark214@netzero.net

I would suggest you try out openSUSE 10.2, you can download the ISO image from opensuse.org or order the boxed product from shop.novell.com for $55 if you live in the US, Japan or Austraila, I'm not sure where you would get it in Europe though, I think they said it was going to be available in Tech shops around Europe.

• 4 months later...
Cool !

Ummm... That post you quoted was from 2002.

If he hasn't written those "HowTo"s by now, I wouldn't hold my breath! :rofl:

• 1 month later...

Could update the RedHat section:

Fedora (not core anymore), RedHat Enterprise and CentOS

RedHat Linux did not cease development but is now broken into RedHat Enterprise (paid for stable version) and Fedora (bleeding edge, free and still pretty stable)

Also, CentOS is available as the free version of RedHat Enterprise.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

i started out on ubuntu, and then i bought myself a laptop Compaq 610. hoping to install ubuntu onit.. but due to overheating issues i had to remove it.. I dunno if any of uhave faced this problem.. pls let me know.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Do any of you guys know what happened to Elementary Unleashed? I got the Dorian 1.1 iso a few weeks ago and I tried downloading it again today. Seems that the site is gone (or down). :(

Hey all. I've decided to give Slackware a whirl, and have it downloading now.

I've conquered Arch, created a franken-Ubuntu, and have worked extensively with Fedora - but I still feel like I'm a noob.

Any suggestions/things I should know?

• 11 months later...

The guide in the first topico should be updated with the following:

Mint

Ubuntu

Fedora

Debian GNU/Linux

openSUSE

Arch Linux

PCLinuxOS

Mageia

Slackware

The Popular Matter : my first would be a major food production company, 2-3 energy companies, including alternative energy. A specific one for oil would be Exxon Mobil. Miscellaneous could be either gold or silver, a "drug" medicine stock, and foreign stocks. I will also take a few percent of the 100,000 and put into penny stock.

The Popular Question : What is an issue or something interesting about the solar panel technology?</br> : I'm hoping to do a science fair project on solar panels. Since energy has been a big issue lately, I was hoping to research on this topic! What are some things that I can possibly do or experiment on?Thank you!P.S. Any science fair related tips are also greatly appreciated!!!

The Popular Matter : my first would be a major food production company, 2-3 energy companies, including alternative energy. A specific one for oil would be Exxon Mobil. Miscellaneous could be either gold or silver, a "drug" medicine stock, and foreign stocks. I will also take a few percent of the 100,000 and put into penny stock.

The Popular Question : What is an issue or something interesting about the solar panel technology?</br> : I'm hoping to do a science fair project on solar panels. Since energy has been a big issue lately, I was hoping to research on this topic! What are some things that I can possibly do or experiment on?Thank you!P.S. Any science fair related tips are also greatly appreciated!!!

Huh? I think you may have posted in the wrong forum old chap!

• 2 weeks later...

You guys missed the Damn Small Linux.. Pretty much worth it for 50MB OS who would like to begin their experience with linux distros :D

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Btw guys!! It's a quiet impressive article I'd say.. keep it up ;)

Hey all. I've decided to give Slackware a whirl, and have it downloading now.

I've conquered Arch, created a franken-Ubuntu, and have worked extensively with Fedora - but I still feel like I'm a noob.

Any suggestions/things I should know?

Stage 1 installation of Gentoo if you're feeling brave ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm looking for a bit of advice really. Im getting to the stage where I feel like I know Ubuntu and the like quite well. I want to have a distro that makes me have to work to get it installed and stuff. Now I don't mean as challenging as compiling the whole system from source (Linux from Scratch etc.) but something that gives me just a kernel and a basic x server which I can then add on to.

Anyone got any ideas?

I love DSL and Puppy Linux ;)

I +1 this, they have been very helpful when I need to recover stuff from a hosed Windows installation.

• 2 years later...

Linux is a maze and finding the right distro may take years. Guides like this are very useful and certainly help to narrow it down.  Thank you for putting it up.

Btw - I am a fan of LM Mate for which I settled after 5 years of experimenting.

• 7 months later...

Hi all, I'm a total rookie to Linux, I'm also a bit of a gamer, quite into Elder Scrolls Online, and TF2.  Quite fancy the move to a more privacy focused open sourced environment.  What distro is the best for me? for just out of the box go, and gaming capabilities?

Pc is in my signature.

Hi all, I'm a total rookie to Linux, I'm also a bit of a gamer, quite into Elder Scrolls Online, and TF2.  Quite fancy the move to a more privacy focused open sourced environment.  What distro is the best for me? for just out of the box go, and gaming capabilities?

Pc is in my signature.

Ubuntu, Mint (MATE/Cinnamon), Xubuntu, or Elementary OS would be my suggestions. XFCE/MATE desktops are the leanest while still remaining user-friendly.