Science Question...

Ok, this may sound a little stupid, but I've ofen wondered about this, so here goes.

Say we are in a controlled enviroment, say a room, where the temprature is kept 100% at the same level all the time, and we have a tub with both hot and cold water pouring in at the same time, rate, everything exactly the same.

Both of them the exact opposite temprature to each other, so warm water is +10c and cold water is -10c?

Now my question is, which would the victor? Would the watter graduly get colder or warmer?

He means 10 degrees less than a set number, and 10 degrees more. I don't know the answer, but I imagine the temperatures would equal out if there was the same amount of both temps of water. So in answer, once mixed the hot would get colder and the cold would get hotter.

if it were possible lets say another substance not water then the cold liquid wouuld absorb energy from the hotter liquid untill they reach thermal equilibrium which would be 0. As u said asuming no energy can be lost from the system, other than being transferd bewteen the liquid, this will hold.

Edited by Spyker

:huh: Assuming the water didn't drain out, and that you kept adding heat energy to the room, the water would reach something close to room temperature.

That's a horrible question because its far too full of holes and even the "right answer" is going to be wrong.

Water, ice, gas, etc. all have different "specific heat" and thermal conductivities. Constantly adding water to the system screws up the energy in this "closed system". Not to mention that the heat/cold is being added to make the room temperature constant. There's way too much else going to affect the answer.

the further the hot or cold water get from the source and closer to each other, they would "even" themselve but only far from the source. it's called Thermal Equilibrium. In other words.

#1 Hot water = the further from the pouring source and closer to the cold water will equals to the water getting colder

#2 The cold water = the further from the pouring source and closer to the hot will equals to the water getting hoter

So at a mid point there would be an average temperature between them

• Like 1

Read up on the thermodynamic equilibrium in any physics book and its states that the hotter object will always transfer heat to the colder object. Read up on the zeroth law and 1st law of thermodynamics and also fluid mechanics that should answer mostof your questions.