• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

PowerMac G5 Quad

AmericanConservative    0

maybe gaming, typical homework and later when i get Adobe CS2 then ill use that to help the schools cr*** IT section and ugly news letters basicly not much :p

you gotta be kidding me. YOu got a Quad mac for that? Makes me sick!

saxondale.    15

you gotta be kidding me. YOu got a Quad mac for that? Makes me sick!

Its very unlikely its his. Its probably a friends, or family member.

Chaoserver    0

PICTURES..... NOW!

My quagmire avatar is better than your quagmire avatar!

oh and nice mac

GoogleNinja    0

What size display do you have hooked up to that monster?

kiall    0

lol quite funny if it was a 12" mointer ehhhe and nice rig man

Chicane-UK    675

I'd be interested to know what work a 14 year old can do on a behmoth like that! Crazy.. and spoiled! :(

applemoto    0

hah, it has a 23" Cinema Display (bought it at educational discount) :D

Toastyone    0

:wacko: nice computer but did you really need a quad? I will trade you my maxed out ibook and maxed out Dual Quicksilver for it...since you know two is better than one :p

applemoto    0

nah not really, but i wanted it because it was the fastest PPC Mac ever (maybe) and it can be expandabe (yeah i could of got a Dual Core 2GHz or other Macs) but i prefered this mac because it wont need to be expandable for a long time. (PS. I agree that im spoilt, infact toooo spoilt :()

Toastyone, no thanks ill stick to a Quad :D

sn00pie    2

:|

That's all I can say.

Yvo    0

Big whoop. With what your doing, there really is no point and considering your age you're then a spoiled kid who gets everything from their parents.

my workplace just bought 10x dp 2.0ghz G5s... we could've easily afforded quads but there just is no point. it would be a waste.

Syphonic    0
Big whoop. With what your doing, there really is no point and considering your age you're then a spoiled kid who gets everything from their parents.

my workplace just bought 10x dp 2.0ghz G5s... we could've easily afforded quads but there just is no point. it would be a waste.

Exactly. For my line of work I'd be running Aperture intensively but even that doesn't need something this powerful.

Waste of resources, waste of money? You could have got top of the line PC for less than you paid for this, you'd be able to actually game and you'd be able to run CS2.

I'm going to pray that this is actually a wind up and that it belongs to a family member as others have suggested.

GoogleNinja    0

You could have got top of the line PC for less than you paid for this, you'd be able to actually game and you'd be able to run CS2.

OMFG CS2!?!!? NO WAYZ. TOP OF THE LIEN PC FOR LESSS?!? WAT?!!!?

Joswin    25

OMFG WHAT A WASTE!!! YOU SUCK0RS!!! :no: :no:

Really who cares what he bought it for or if he needs it? He bought it, its his, live with it. Whats with all the bitching "OMFG HE IS SPOILT' and such... if he is, who cares? :whistle: If somone gets an Athlon X2 4800+, 4GB of RAM and SLI 7800 GTX's so they can play solitare.. who gives a ****? lol

Nice machine there applemoto, im actually selling my Dual-Core powermac because i ended up doing what you said you will be doing, surfing the interweb ;) and occasional game and photoshop. I don't need a 2.3Ghz G5 & 20" ACD for that. It was only because i wanted to try MAC and also wanted something DECENT that i went down this road. Still have fun!!

ph3412t3h13    0

just dont start complaining 2 years from now

Joswin    25

Why what happens 2 years from now? Apart from partying like its 2007?

GoogleNinja    0

Why what happens 2 years from now? Apart from partying like its 2007?

I think some people are still crying because Apple is shifting from PowerPC to x86 and they think we'll all be crying in a couple years because Apple will drop support for PPC.

am_fek    0

Ha, maybe he does need it. He could be a very talented 14yr old. Me thinks its probably daddy's PowerMac.

I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you had to get permission from your parents before getting your iMac - maybe you shouldn't be quite so outspoken on this particular issue?

And WTF is with all negative the reaction here? It's a waste? What? Unless he stole it then he deserves it just as much as anybody else deserves anything they own. What's it to any of you how it was acquired or what it's being used for? He's not in some kind of communist cooperative where people can only have what they need or where people have to justify what they own.

I'm going to pray that this is actually a wind up and that it belongs to a family member as others have suggested.

Good god. Firstly, it's none of your business, and secondly: get something better to pray about.

Bro, that's a nice machine you've got. If you're really 14 years old, then damn, that's one hell of a score :D

Matt T    0

nah im just a 14 year old boy who justy got lucky, well a super early Christmas Present

Can you buy me an iPod? :p

Congrats on your present, but personally I believe it's a waste. Even the low end PowerMac would be more than enough for what you want to do.

notuptome2004    173

nice machine man but maby you should have waited for a Mactel machine Quade system so ya cna run both XP in real form nd OSX. or rather just pay 400 for a Xbox360 and have more power then ya got now he he. but all in all nice machine

Lighthalzen    62

Nice Rig.... but unless you are doing hardcore 3D rendering or video editing.... seems a waste of computer power. Nonetheless, NICE RIG.

Joswin    25

Even the low end PowerMac would be more than enough for what you want to do.

Possibly, but if he can afford it, why not eh. :)

I think some people are still crying because Apple is shifting from PowerPC to x86 and they think we'll all be crying in a couple years because Apple will drop support for PPC.

Oh that, hmmm well while i personally am not a fan of the whole moving to Intel thing, as much as there are some really nice x86 CPU's and Apple are in an awkward position with their mobile range -- I think they should have stuck out with PPC a bit longer. They really did have something to 'Think Different' about other than the OS, the only consumer PPC systems... though i guess it does not matter.

saxondale.    15

I'm pretty sure I remember you saying you had to get permission from your parents before getting your iMac - maybe you shouldn't be quite so outspoken on this particular issue?

What the hell you on with

:wacko:

All im saying is that i think its his dads, not his. Not quite the same thing boyo.

Edited by saxondale.

raskren    0

Bare Feats just ran a test of Virtual PC 7 on a quad G5. They called it "no speed demon..." Virtual PC is not a multithreaded app. I guess a good rule of thumb is: In this day and age, if you don't know the difference between "SMP" and your elbow, you probably don't need anything dual/multicore.

KXH    0

My Buddy got one with and pumped in 8GB of RAM and bought Logic Pro and Final Cut studio. It does the Final Cut studio stuff very fast. He did however pony up some obscene amount of money for the system and the Apple 20" display and the software. Then he bought something called a firebox(i'm not sure what this does for you exactly) and Blue Mountain Speakers(yeah thats the first time i heard of them too but Guitar center sold him on them). I helped him a little by getting the RAM for him from Crucial and the Quad Unit from macmall where they had a rebate for money back; a free epson all in one, and a free 2GB Nano. He tells me he is learning final cut so he can make a movie; who am i to $#!T on somone's dream?! But it was a lot of money possibly wasted.