PowerMac G5 Quad

Vice

Why are you all digging him for having a nice computer. All you people saying he is a spoilt kid who gets all his stuff from his parents and did not deserve this computer need to take a look at yourselves because your acting very childish and he a 14 year-old has yet to say a bad thing to you, showing restraint well beyond he's years.

And congrats on the purchase :) Enjoy it.

shawn

Imma spoilt kiddy too...but only when I do well in studies :D

Prosidius

How is a 14 year old kid getting a $5000 computer?

S550

parents

kiall

me thinks it just a boy kiddening on his fathers new mac is him

sn00pie

I think most of us are jealous at the fact that we would probably kill for one of those. :p

kiall

am waiting for the intel one to come and i have got the 30" mointer and that for mines waiting

Shuu

woa.. i can't breathe.. too much jealousy in the air.

calm down, ya silly people.

nice machine, my man. :yes:

Blackice

actually, I agree that getting a quad G5 probably isn't the smartest idea... 6 months before the first Intel macs are getting released :p

The Intel macs are faster (as reports from people using leaked builds/DTKs have shown), cheaper (intel chips again), and can dual-boot with windows natively (no need for VPC). I mean, what on earth is anybody buying a PPC mac thinking?

Add all that to the new architectures Intel are showing off (providing more efficient processors, closer to AMD's standard), with better power saving, and you really have to wonder if the macs appearing after 06/06 won't be at least 1,5x the speed of their PPC equivalents.

applemoto

ya i know that, i just prefer the PowerPC architecture over the Intel one :), oo and im not joking that its mine, because its mine and not anyone elses . :wacko:

GoogleNinja

actually, I agree that getting a quad G5 probably isn't the smartest idea... 6 months before the first Intel macs are getting released :p

The Intel macs are faster (as reports from people using leaked builds/DTKs have shown), cheaper (intel chips again), and can dual-boot with windows natively (no need for VPC). I mean, what on earth is anybody buying a PPC mac thinking?

Add all that to the new architectures Intel are showing off (providing more efficient processors, closer to AMD's standard), with better power saving, and you really have to wonder if the macs appearing after 06/06 won't be at least 1,5x the speed of their PPC equivalents.

It's nice to say "OMG WHY ARE YOU BUYING POWERPC APPLE IS MOVING TO INTEL OH NO!!!!" but please shut up and let the person buy what they want.

kitchenutensils

depedns what u want - if ur just going to be clean using PS and the apple software you can expect continued support but if your into using free software and stuff then ur better with the intel becos in the ened its developer support you need and theres little doubt developers will be mainly interested in the newest platform

Rudy

i have to agree with you, one of the reasons i sold my dual 2.0 was because i installed OSX86 on my P4 2.6 and it would boot twice as fast as the dual :( i figure i would upgrade my pc with the money from the dual and get proper hardware for osx86 (sse3 cpu etc)

applemoto

ah, nevermind i love my G5 Quad anyway, im sure ill live with some oldish Apps which would be PowerPC opimized if they ditch PPC support in their newer apps.

Prosidius

If your not even using it's power, its like buying a GeForce 7700 and only playing tetris on it.

kiall

If your not even using it's power, its like buying a GeForce 7700 and only playing tetris on it.

thats quite a gd point i only use my ibook for browsing and palying with apps and id say i use qabout 1% or the power on it

Coolme

wow, that's really nice.

I bet you that you can probably run PearPC on Win XP on Virtual PC and it'd still be insanly fast. lol :woot:

cchasem

Is it really a waste of money as some of you are saying? His parents wont have to buy him a new computer for at least 35 years. at least.

gogosama

im a lukcy 14 year old boy who got a mac for christm\a but atleast im gna use it to its fullest potential and im gonna use it for graphic design and video editing

semaja2.net

i hate these stupid arguments about intel and ppc, does anyone really know why the ppc was better to start with and why it gave a mac the power of video editing and stuff like that over a intel cpu, imo the ppc will still be around for a long time and if anycompany ditches support for it all ill be doing is laughing cuz they would of lost so many customers.

anywho good work kid all i managed to get was a ibook 12" for chrissie :(

DarkPhantasmo

It seems people are so worried about where his (or his parents) money went towards. Some say he's spoiled, etc. Usually talk like that comes from those who are a bit jealous of what someone else has. It was a good purchase, the dual, dual-core G5's are awesome machines.

Yes, Intel based Mac's are 6months (or so) out... but from what I understand, they will start with some of the lower end equipment (iBooks, mac minis, etc) ... the G5's will probably be the last machines that get converted over to Intel.

I have recently aquired a 17" Powerbook and a dual 2GHz G5... I love them both, and my only regret is that I didnt make the switch sooner. OS X is an awesome OS.

thetechroom

It seems people are so worried about where his (or his parents) money went towards. Some say he's spoiled, etc. Usually talk like that comes from those who are a bit jealous of what someone else has. It was a good purchase, the dual, dual-core G5's are awesome machines.

Yes, Intel based Mac's are 6months (or so) out... but from what I understand, they will start with some of the lower end equipment (iBooks, mac minis, etc) ... the G5's will probably be the last machines that get converted over to Intel.

I have recently aquired a 17" Powerbook and a dual 2GHz G5... I love them both, and my only regret is that I didnt make the switch sooner. OS X is an awesome OS.

Well said buddy, oh and congrats to the thread starter, once you go mac, you are never going to go mac ;)

robniep

Why are some of you saying that he doesn't need all that power? Who are you to tell him what he needs. If he wants to spend his money on a faster computer, so be it. Who cares what hes doing. It's not a waste because he wants it and it makes him happy.

As for PPC vs Intel... Something new always comes out, deal with it. You're not going to have the best machine because something new always comes out. You cannot keep up with it and if he wants it now, let him buy it now. What everyone does with their money is their business.