• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

PowerMac G5 Quad

MonkeyClaw    9

Also for the time being, it is probably best to stick with a PPC Mac rather than be an early adopter and have to put up with a lack of Intel native software. I know there will be Rosetta for PPC software but still, it is always hell on an early adopter. The G5 Quad is a beastly fast machine and will serve any user for a long time very well.

.Jacob.    0

wow!!!!!!!actually my father was thinking of getting me this once we went to the apple store but then I said dont waste your money I wouldnt even use 3quarters of the power that thing has :p

sundayx    127

i feel sorry for the four g5s, its like hiring einstein, darwin, newton and karl marx to make coffee for you. nevertheless, congrads

MonkeyClaw    9

mmm that would be an awesome cup of coffee I bet...

So where are the pics m8, lets get them up in the Apple Hardware thread!

DarkPhantasmo    0

i feel sorry for the four g5s, its like hiring einstein, darwin, newton and karl marx to make coffee for you. nevertheless, congrads

Well, techinically its two, dual-core G5 processors, not 4 physical processors.

MonkeyClaw    9

No but u see, it is physically 4 cores, aka 4 processors. The cores just aren't on separate dies.

Trancosrt    0

Maybe Einstein sharing a brain with Sir Isaac Newton and Darwin sharing a brain with Marx (that wouldn't be a smart thing to do IMHO, but hey, the combo might be good!)??

Congrats in the new rig. if i had the money, I might buy it. It is a VERY nice rig indeed. I know my G4 iBook is, so womthing with like 8 times the power has to be good indeed!!!

Matt T    0

It seems people are so worried about where his (or his parents) money went towards. Some say he's spoiled, etc. Usually talk like that comes from those who are a bit jealous of what someone else has.

Of course he's spoilt. Name one present that you've gotten in your entire life that cost more than $5000. I certainly can't, and I'm sure 99% of Neowin's members haven't either. And I think we're all jealous - hands up anyone who wouldn't want a G5 Quad.

I just hate kids like this guy - kids who are spoilt beyond belief or reason. The Quad's are the type of machines designed for making professional films and advanced graphics - he got it to play games, chat with friends and make a newsletter. Heck, a Mac mini would have been enough for him. That money could have gone towards people in need over in Africa, or New Orleans, or some other sort of charity. What a waste :crazy:

yudi_lks    1

His parents have bought it for him.. Nothing much we can do now...

Damian    119

Also for the time being, it is probably best to stick with a PPC Mac rather than be an early adopter and have to put up with a lack of Intel native software. I know there will be Rosetta for PPC software but still, it is always hell on an early adopter. The G5 Quad is a beastly fast machine and will serve any user for a long time very well.

Yeah, It's not smart to buy the first Intels. atleast wait voor the second revs, That's what i'm doing, no doubt :yes:

Of course he's spoilt. Name one present that you've gotten in your entire life that cost more than $5000. I certainly can't, and I'm sure 99% of Neowin's members haven't either. And I think we're all jealous - hands up anyone who wouldn't want a G5 Quad.

I just hate kids like this guy - kids who are spoilt beyond belief or reason. The Quad's are the type of machines designed for making professional films and advanced graphics - he got it to play games, chat with friends and make a newsletter. Heck, a Mac mini would have been enough for him. That money could have gone towards people in need over in Africa, or New Orleans, or some other sort of charity. What a waste :crazy:

Leave him alone, he may be needing it over a couple of years for Work and School.

I think some of you are just jealous!

Matt T    0

Leave him alone, he may be needing it over a couple of years for Work and School.

Who the hell needs that much power for work and school? The Quads are really for Hollywood film editors and rich people who design graphics. A 14 year-old doesn't need a Quad.

I think some of you are just jealous!

You didn't read my previous post properly, did you?

Syphonic    0

OMFG CS2!?!!? NO WAYZ. TOP OF THE LIEN PC FOR LESSS?!? WAT?!!!?

Again in English this time please?

CS2 = Adobe Creative Suite 2, not Counter Strike of some sort if you managed to get the wrong end of the stick as I suspect you did.

If you think I was making the typical 'PCs are better' mac-bashing argument you should get a grip and open your eyes. Then you might realise I own a mac, I love it and would recommend one anyday. In this case I was suggesting that since he wants gaming, a PC would be better suited to his needs and he would still be able to run most design applications for his design needs.

Vice    1,593

Who the hell needs that much power for work and school? The Quads are really for Hollywood film editors and rich people who design graphics. A 14 year-old doesn't need a Quad.

You didn't read my previous post properly, did you?

:huh: Letting your jealousy consume you. I think you should leave this thread and never come back cause your making it real ugly with your hateful comments.

Syphonic    0

Admittedly I think quite a few of us lost our heads when we first saw this thread. Like Matt T said, of course it's jealousy, exacerbated by the guy's circumstances.

What we should do is congratulate him on such a nice machine and welcome him to the mac club.

applemoto post some shots of this baby up and running!

stereopixels    23

Show us more! Hardware pics please! :)

applemoto    0

if you turn to page one of this topic, you can see the pics :)

[bear]    0

thats the biggest g5 processor enclosing ive ever seen. haha. NICE.

DirtyLarry    2,097

Beautiful Mac. Congrats.

Not only that, but I seriously must commend you applemoto for being person in this thread who has by far acted the most mature.

You could have easily said childish comments based off of everyone else's childish and negative reactions.

Instead you carried yourself like a mature person. Good going. (Y)

Just based on your reaction, or should I say lack of, you deserve this Quad G5 in my book.

If only these other supposedly "older more mature" members would follow in your footsteps, we would not have a 7 page thread in which 75% of it is nonsense.

Enjoy It. (Y)

Xephian    0

Why are people always saying it's $5,000 throughout the thread? He said he used educational discounts, so that would be ~$3,000.

Matt T    0

:huh: Letting your jealousy consume you.

:rolleyes:

I think you should leave this thread and never come back cause your making it real ugly with your hateful comments.

I'm not trying to be "hateful" - I just hate spoilt kids. If you read the first post I made (page 2, post #44) you'll see I congratulated him. The point I was trying to make in my "hateful comments" was that the money his parents wasted could have gone towards something much more worthwhile.

sn00pie    2

Nothing against the kid of course, I would kill to own a Quad at his age. :p

But if you think about it, most graphics designers don't even have Quads yet, there still probably using Dual G5's! :pinch:

am_fek    0

:rolleyes:

I'm not trying to be "hateful" - I just hate spoilt kids. If you read the first post I made (page 2, post #44) you'll see I congratulated him. The point I was trying to make in my "hateful comments" was that the money his parents wasted could have gone towards something much more worthwhile.

Not trying to be hateful, you just hate spoiled kids. So you tried not to be hateful, and failed.

It's interesting to encounter someone who says he hates spoiled kids, before proceeding immediately to do a pretty good impression of a spoiled kid himself. What the hell makes you think it's okay to judge what other people do with what's theirs? Soviet Russia called, they want their ideology back.

Matt T    0

Not trying to be hateful, you just hate spoiled kids. So you tried not to be hateful, and failed.

It's interesting to encounter someone who says he hates spoiled kids, before proceeding immediately to do a pretty good impression of a spoiled kid himself. What the hell makes you think it's okay to judge what other people do with what's theirs? Soviet Russia called, they want their ideology back.

Jesus christ, do people here read?! :crazy: Re-read all my previous posts and think carefully about what you're typing.

am_fek    0

Of course I did. What's your point? You are judging what other people have done with their own money, and I want you to explain why you think that's appropriate when you know damn well that it's absolutely none of your business.