AIM Triton Beta 1.1.4

KGHtheII

I guess this could be classified as a glitch..

I'm sitting here, and i look down at my taskbar to find that my AIM icon is gone (the one w/ the running guy). In its place is the AOL icon, shaded grey. I had previously had this AOL icon disabled so i dont understand why its there in the first place.. and what happened to my other icon?

My first thought was that i got kicked offline, so i went to my buddy list, and i was still able to check away messages. I even IMed someone. So, that proves im still online. I set an away message thinking that it would invoke the icon to reappear. However, the icon is still MIA.

Just thought I'd point it out.

cybermagellan

I guess this could be classified as a glitch..

I'm sitting here, and i look down at my taskbar to find that my AIM icon is gone (the one w/ the running guy). In its place is the AOL icon, shaded grey. I had previously had this AOL icon disabled so i dont understand why its there in the first place.. and what happened to my other icon?

My first thought was that i got kicked offline, so i went to my buddy list, and i was still able to check away messages. I even IMed someone. So, that proves im still online. I set an away message thinking that it would invoke the icon to reappear. However, the icon is still MIA.

Just thought I'd point it out.

Check to make sure that Windows Taskbar cleanup (Can't remember the name) didn't hide it on you...also did you download any other AOL software? That is the way it works...the AOL logo is now unified instead of putting 10+ icons down there it is just the one. If you right click on the AOL icon what are your options?

Sucks about #1, really wish they'd change their position on that..

If you read the thread "chicken" posted about this...probably without realizing it. The AOL Tray icon "feeds" off of the aolsoftware.exe process. If you sign into triton and then open AOL Explorer (I know I know...) and check in the upper right hand corner of explorer your screen name should be there with a green dot (if signed in).

AOL is making the 10 programs, 1 login tactic with the software in an effort to helping out members. For AIM users it still works...Sign into Triton then goto AOL.com the webpage should sign you in...

S550

you should still have the ability to disable all of that crap if you only want Triton, other wise its just a crapload of unwanted **** running on your system.

Unless they get rid of it I'll never use Triton.

KGHtheII

Check to make sure that Windows Taskbar cleanup (Can't remember the name) didn't hide it on you...also did you download any other AOL software? That is the way it works...the AOL logo is now unified instead of putting 10+ icons down there it is just the one. If you right click on the AOL icon what are your options?

I had already checked that there wasnt a taskbar cleanup... there wasnt.

I didnt download any other AOL software... i didnt download any software around the time this happened period.

I dont have AOL Explorer installed because I used Ad Hack.

My options after clicking on the AOL icon are the same as it was previous to me hiding it the first time. Hide Systray Icon, and View Notification History. If i just hover my mouse over over the icon, the tooltip says "Connection Available".

I dont see any reason why that AIM icon should have disappeared like that. I think its a glitch.

KGHtheII

For some reason i couldnt edit my previous post, so heres an update...

I have noticed that the toasters are not popping up anymore either.

(Yes i have checked to make sure they are still enabled)

CrowaX

Might want to head to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL Downloads and delete whatever the Triton file is called...and delete resume.ini and redownload again and try. The installer may not have downloaded a file it needed.

Sounded good, but didnt fix the problem. Stops at the same place as always, bottom bar at 21%, top bar around 80% (not positive, it goes so fast).

Also, where does Triton install to? Ive started the install, and looked around program files for new files or folders to be added, but nothing appears. Thanks in advance.

SULAX50

Sounded good, but didnt fix the problem. Stops at the same place as always, bottom bar at 21%, top bar around 80% (not positive, it goes so fast).

Also, where does Triton install to? Ive started the install, and looked around program files for new files or folders to be added, but nothing appears. Thanks in advance.

Check $PROGRAMFILES\Common Files\AOL\< 10 digit number >\

We also dump an install log on your machine that would tell us why it is failing (most recent non-0-byte file in "C:\Program Files\AOL\Installers"). If you don't want to post the output of the file here on neowin you can PM me or send me email. Either way I will be happy to take a look and see if I can help you out.

For those who are experiencing glitchy behavior with the systray, we are still working out some kinks.

CrowaX

The 10 digit number folder gets about 18mb worth of file installed before the error.

The install log says:

12/12/2005 13:55:09 Attempt to launch installer: [C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\AOLDOW~1\TRITON~2.6\muinst.exe /S]

12/12/2005 13:55:09 Installation completed.

12/12/2005 13:55:09 Attempt to launch installer: [C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\AOLDOW~1\TRITON~2.6\alsetup.exe]

12/12/2005 13:55:10 Installation completed.

12/12/2005 13:55:10 Attempt to launch installer: [C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\AOLDOW~1\TRITON~2.6\ocpinst.exe /localestr=en-US]

12/12/2005 13:55:19 Installer launch failed: [8] : ProcExit: [-1073741819]

cybermagellan

The 10 digit number folder gets about 18mb worth of file installed before the error.

The install log says:

12/12/2005 13:55:09 Attempt to launch installer: [C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\AOLDOW~1\TRITON~2.6\muinst.exe /S]

12/12/2005 13:55:09 Attempt to launch installer: [C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\AOLDOW~1\TRITON~2.6\alsetup.exe]

12/12/2005 13:55:10 Attempt to launch installer: [C:\DOCUME~1\ALLUSE~1\APPLIC~1\AOLDOW~1\TRITON~2.6\ocpinst.exe /localestr=en-US]

Hmmm, looks like the platform installer fails..."I" would try unless SULAX50 suggest something else...

1. Goto C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL Downloads\

and delete the triton folder listed there....then goto

2. C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\<10 digit number>

and delete the ee folder....then back to AIM.com and redownload and reinstall.

SULAX50 might have a better recommendation. OCPINST is the installer for the platform that Triton runs on.

CrowaX

Tried that this last time, still got the error. But thanks for the suggestion.

cybermagellan

Tried that this last time, still got the error. But thanks for the suggestion.

Try to manually run the "ocpinst.exe" installer at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL Downloads\<Triton Folder>\

Besides that do you have any registry or file monitoring software that could be blocking it?

ATLien_0

love this new version, really starting to come together. only problem im having is typing delay/lag. Ill type a few words then aim freezes for a few seconds

bangbang023

love this new version, really starting to come together. only problem im having is typing delay/lag. Ill type a few words then aim freezes for a few seconds

That seems to happen when it's loading a new tab or taoster for me.

CrowaX

Try to manually run the "ocpinst.exe" installer at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AOL Downloads\<Triton Folder>\

Besides that do you have any registry or file monitoring software that could be blocking it?

Nothing blocking the registry that I know of. I shut down MS Antispyware just in case, but didnt help. Running the ocpinst.exe puts the file in my taskmager at about 8mb ram usage, then jumps to 13, then just vanishes from the list. Takes about 20 seconds total.

SULAX50

The install log says:

Sending mail to install QA and install developers now...I will report back when I know something...thanks for the info.

troGGers

I haven't had a problem with the latest triton until today...now all of the sudden it gets stuck on validating like I had heard some others complain about. Anyone else receiving the same troubles?

CrowaX

Sending mail to install QA and install developers now...I will report back when I know something...thanks for the info.

I tried installing in safe mode 4 times, the latest was successful. For that one, I ran the install in normal mode, after it failed, I copied the downloaded install files to my desktop, booted into safe mode, ran the setup.exe from there, and it insatlled. I will also add that running the setup.exe from the AOL Downloads folder while in safe mode also failed. No idea why it worked this time, but it did, so I'm happy.

cybermagellan

For what it matters I've started a blog as well... SavedCase. I'll try to take some of the things I notice here and post them there...maybe it'll help a few people.

troGGers

Did anyone ever come up with a way to circumvent the validation issue? I've tried reinstalling and clearing registry stuff, but to no avail.

ATLien_0

finally they added a feature to completley turn Ads off

bangbang023

finally they added a feature to completley turn Ads off

Ad Hack puts that option there. It's not in the vanilla AIM install.

SULAX50

bangbang the bug you reported with monitor power saver mode and triton has been filed by our QA to be fixed by our Notifications service. I will let you know when I see a fix. Thanks for finding that bug.

Also for those plagued by the validating bug, we now know of another case where you will get stuck in that state. If you connect via proxy you will hang. This case goes along with people who are using non-English US as people who are having the hang during validating. Fixes for these two issues are coming, no eta as only of the issues I can fix myself, the other is dependent upon a backend fix.

For those who all of a sudden are being plague by the validating bug since upgrading to Triton are you connecting with the default out of the box settings? If so are you connecting with an AIM only SN? And are you cleaning up the aim6 and aolsoftware processes? Finally, if you roll back to a previous version does it hang?

troGGers

I'm using the latest adhack version, but hadn't had a problem until today specifically. AIM only SN. I've tried cleaning up aim6 and aolsoftware processes. Have not tried rolling back to a previous version.

SULAX50

I'm using the latest adhack version, but hadn't had a problem until today specifically. AIM only SN. I've tried cleaning up aim6 and aolsoftware processes. Have not tried rolling back to a previous version.

And did you just upgrade today? Any chance you can get me an ethereal trace of just the aim traffic on your machine? For that matter, does anyone want to get me trace? If this is happening to people as soon as they upgrade their client please let me know ASAP.

Randolph

Any notice on the Validating bug for people using the US-EN version of Triton? I think thats where its mostly occuring.