AIM Triton Beta 1.1.4

SULAX50

Ok, i feel like this post is not in the right place, but i really need some help here w/ Nero.

I just installed Nero 7 Ultra on my computer. Now, the first thing that went wrong was that I associated every file extentstion w/ Nero and i really didnt want to do that. (Is there a way to reverse this?)

So, my next problem is that I now get the Validating Hang. I heard that upgrading to 1.1.4b (or whatever the version number is) fixes the problem. Well, i downloaded the upgrade, and while i run the upgrade and its extracting the .cab files, it gets a CRC error at the end.

So, my next option here would be to just uninstall Nero. When I uninstall Nero, it doesnt completely remove from my pc. There are still soo many instances of it in the registry. And on top of that.. Triton still does not work completely.

So as i stand now.. I have Nero 7 Ultra installed on my pc. I cant upgrade it, and i cant really delete it.

Can someone pleasssseee help me here.

Either help me to upgrade it, OR completely delete all instances.

Thanks.

Yes upgrading fixes the problem. What would be interesting is if you reinstall 7 Ultra and can tell me what version of msvcr71.dll and msvcrt.dll you have that would be awesome. Please don't upgrade until you tell me that info if you can...once you give me that data, can you try installing the upgrade and seeing if that fixes your problems. I am by no means a Nero expert, but one theory I am working on is that Nero may actually do something bad to your windows\system32 runtime, like installing an incorrect version. Thanks to anyone who can help me with this task.

KGHtheII

Yes upgrading fixes the problem. What would be interesting is if you reinstall 7 Ultra and can tell me what version of msvcr71.dll and msvcrt.dll you have that would be awesome. Please don't upgrade until you tell me that info if you can...once you give me that data, can you try installing the upgrade and seeing if that fixes your problems. I am by no means a Nero expert, but one theory I am working on is that Nero may actually do something bad to your windows\system32 runtime, like installing an incorrect version. Thanks to anyone who can help me with this task.

I'm really sorry Greg, but i already updated the software... but, my roomate did just install Nero on his pc, so i can get that information for you off his computer.

First of all.. there are multiple instances of the msvcr71.dll all over the place in the nero directory and there is also a msvcrp71.dll, but here is the one from the Nero Burning folder:

msvcr71.dll = 7.10.3052.4

msvcp71.dll = 7.10.3077.0

I could only find msvcrt.dll in the Photosnap folder, but here it is:

msvcrt.dll = 6.1.8024.0

Hope this helps.

BTW, i got my Nero working fine now with Triton.

ASIDE:

I just created a new screen name. I linked my old screen name to the new one. Is there a way that i could get everyone from my old buddy list onto my new one without manually adding them all? I know you used to be able to import buddy lists on 5.9 and before. Am i just missing this feature? If so, could someone give me details of where it is and how to go about this.

Thanks,

Kenny

SULAX50

I'm really sorry Greg, but i already updated the software... but, my roomate did just install Nero on his pc, so i can get that information for you off his computer.

First of all.. there are multiple instances of the msvcr71.dll all over the place in the nero directory and there is also a msvcrp71.dll, but here is the one from the Nero Burning folder:

msvcrt.dll = 6.1.8024.0

Hope this helps.

ASIDE:

I just created a new screen name. I linked my old screen name to the new one. Is there a way that i could get everyone from my old buddy list onto my new one without manually adding them all? I know you used to be able to import buddy lists on 5.9 and before. Am i just missing this feature? If so, could someone give me details of where it is and how to go about this.

Thanks,

Kenny

Thanks for the info. My chief architect and I are going to look into this today. For your question on import/export the buddy list you can do that easily. JAMS allows for importing and exporting the buddy list from Triton. You can access these functions from the action menu at the bottom of the buddy list. If you need further info on how to do this let me know. JAMS can be downloaded from my blog. My blog url is in my signature.

cybermagellan

all i want is font support, thats my main goal. that and a working buddy profile and i would be happy to dl. oh and non of that aol explorer.

taking a look at strings.xml (If I remember correctly) the font support is host based so I dunno (I have to look again) so everyone you want to to see your font has to have that setting in strings.xml as well...making it a plugin issue. If I remember correctly.

tlogank

Greg, we still looking @ a possible new BETA before the end of January?

SULAX50

msvcrt.dll = 6.1.8024.0

Hope this helps.

ASIDE:

Thanks,

Kenny

Any chance you can get me the versions of those same files after you upgraded?

SULAX50

Greg, we still looking @ a possible new BETA before the end of January?

All I can say is really really soon. I am out of the office this week as you can see on my blog, so I have not been in the "release" loop...I will try and get an update and post about it on my blog tonight or tomorrow.

b_pizzle

SULAX: I know this probably isn't the appropriate place for bug submissions but I found one the other day while using 1.1.4:

I was sending someone a folder full of files. Somehow the send got canceled near the end (I think he closed the window or something but thats not important). When I dragged the folder into the window again to resume it, it got back to the point it was supposed to but the "estimated time till it finished" was for the entire folder and not representative of how much time was actually remaining. Like, it said "30 minuts left" instead of the actual 5 minutes it really took. Just a minor thing.

Keep up the good progress on Triton. I've gotten quite a few people to switch to the 1.1.4 version as many disliked the betas. Thanks! :D

KGHtheII

Any chance you can get me the versions of those same files after you upgraded?

I hate to burst ur bubble so to speak, but after looking in the save folders, at the same .dlls after the update, all the version numbers have stayed the same.

Also, as i said before, that msvcrt.dll file was only found in the photo folder.. but after i updated i uninstalled the photo thing. so i couldnt tell u that version number. But i would guess that too has stayed the same, as the other 2 .dll files did.

Hope everything works out for you.

batbeef

I hate to burst ur bubble so to speak, but after looking in the save folders, at the same .dlls after the update, all the version numbers have stayed the same.

Also, as i said before, that msvcrt.dll file was only found in the photo folder.. but after i updated i uninstalled the photo thing. so i couldnt tell u that version number. But i would guess that too has stayed the same, as the other 2 .dll files did.

Hope everything works out for you.

I can also confirm this, i checked the version numbers on the files before i reintsalled nero and they are still the same after the update. I'm just glad that my AIM is working again.

SULAX50

I can also confirm this, i checked the version numbers on the files before i reintsalled nero and they are still the same after the update. I'm just glad that my AIM is working again.

Thanks for the help with this. This week I will be trying to make contact with Nero to see if we can start figuring out what Nero Ultra installs and what Nero update installs.

-=SD=-

Just an odd thing I've been seeing lately.. why is it that when you edit your buddy info it shows up as having over 2048 characters when it shouldn't be? Is it storing things behind the scenes so that when you edit it again the previous stuff is still there? This is just an example, it's nowhere near what the limit should be yet it is..?

post-24639-1137827612.png

f0rbez

There must be some left over html tags in there. I'd try clearing the entire thing. Also, 2048 is pretty weak.

yayaba

Wow... I haven't used Triton since 0.1 and I have to say this is wayyy better than before =).

One thing that stood out to me... the fatty red AIM icon on the top left of IM windows. I know it's purely aesthetical but I'm not really a big fan of that :sleep:.

Also, I have a red X like a broken image link in IE where my buddy icon is supposed to be I assume (to the right of the area where I type in an IM box). My friends can still see my own buddy icon which I think carried over from AIM 5.x but I can't see it myself. If I navigate to the AIM Expressions page my buddy icon is blank. Anyone know how to fix this...? :huh:

Edited by yayaba
-=SD=-

There must be some left over html tags in there. I'd try clearing the entire thing. Also, 2048 is pretty weak.

Yeah, I tried that.. cleared it so there would be nothing, exiting AIM then starting again but it does the same. Not sure if it's saved elsewhere or not.

cybermagellan

Wow... I haven't used Triton since 0.1 and I have to say this is wayyy better than before =).

One thing that stood out to me... the fatty red AIM icon on the top left of IM windows. I know it's purely aesthetical but I'm not really a big fan of that :sleep:.

Sometimes marketing has bigger pull than we'd like ;)

Also, I have a red X like a broken image link in IE where my buddy icon is supposed to be I assume (to the right of the area where I type in an IM box). My friends can still see my own buddy icon which I think carried over from AIM 5.x but I can't see it myself. If I navigate to the AIM Expressions page my buddy icon is blank. Anyone know how to fix this...? :huh::

Are you supposed to have a Superbuddy or a standard buddy icon? Perhaps if it is an old custom icon it doesn't exist on the server any longer...

yayaba

I believe it was an old custom icon so that's probably why.

I'm assuming it was just cached on everyone's computer who had an IM conversation with me.

S550

Has there been any improvement in letting it use less memory or removing the Browser from the install?

(dont wanna read the whole 12pgs)

KGHtheII

Has there been any improvement in letting it use less memory or removing the Browser from the install?

(dont wanna read the whole 12pgs)

While some improvement has been made on the memory issue, there has not been any substantial decrease in memory usage... Right now, with just the buddy list loaded, I am using 147,844K on the aim6.exe and 11,688K on aolsoftware.exe.

As for your question about removing the Browser from the install, You could use AIM Ad Hack to install the program. You can choose what you would like to block (including the browser). It also gives you the option to remove ads, among other things.

Found here:

AIM Ad Hack

I always use Ad Hack to install the new releases of Triton, and recommend you do the same if you dont want the browser installed.

S550

thats.......thats a LOT of memory jesus.

bangbang023

aim6.exe is using 28,716K for me right now with the buddy list open. closing the buddy list reduces it further.

micwa

Just to let you guys know. AIM Triton 1.1.11.2 has been released only to the AOL Suite Refresh. So therefore, there *should* be a new standalone beta build for Triton very soon.

PS. This build of Triton now lets me sign in! Hopefully the validating bug is gone.

SULAX50

Just to let you guys know. AIM Triton 1.1.11.2 has been released only to the AOL Suite Refresh. So therefore, there *should* be a new standalone beta build for Triton very soon.

PS. This build of Triton now lets me sign in! Hopefully the validating bug is gone.

Really...now you have my attention, so you were suffering from the validating hang starting with which build? Did you have Nero installed? If so which version? Thanks for any additional details. The reason I keep asking the same questions is that everyone has slightly different configs that are suffering from this issue, and I am trying to find the common thread.

In addition, we are getting closer to a "standalone" AIM release, I can't pinpoint it quite yet since we still have a stopper bug, but we're close. I am hoping that we can close this 12 pg thread and start a new one very soon where we can get some much needed new feedback.

KGHtheII

aim6.exe is using 28,716K for me right now with the buddy list open. closing the buddy list reduces it further.

Well there must be a memory leak somewhere. Maybe someone should take a look at that. I have noticed that while having AIM running for a long time, It gets EXTREMELY laggy.

Hope this is fixed or at least somewhat controlled in the next release.

S550

after about 3hrs use im still at 27MB where it started