your views on the Patriot Act

hey all, im writing a Term paper for my Gov class, and im doing it on the Patriot Act...ofcourse i am against it...but what are your views on it? i just want some sources and some insight before i begin writing it, right now im just brainstorming...

o and if possible, try to back up your arguments =)

but how old was that, id liek to hear the views now, over a year after is has been passed...also i dont really want to bring back old topics, i kno the mods dont really like that hehe...

Well, much of the provisions in the PA had already existed before by the introduction of the Sedition Act of 1918 and numerous bills concerning the same matter after. However I do believe the Patriot Act has gone too far. The government can finally legally arrest you without a cause, hold you indefinitly without a trial and throw away the keys. They had already detained many "terroist suspects" without given them attorney and a trial.

Reichstag Fire Decree...Patriot Act....history will repeat itself over and over again.

but how old was that, id liek to hear the views now, over a year after is has been passed...also i dont really want to bring back old topics, i kno the mods dont really like that hehe...

Well, my views haven't changed.

Except that I now am aware that the Patriot Act seems to give the police similar powers against terrorism to what they already had available for the war on drugs. So it seems that the decline of civil liberties began actually with the war on drugs. You know it had to be a war of some sort to justify increased police powers and reduced judicial oversight.

Wow, a legal campaign telling you what you can and can't do with your own body was the beginning of the decline of civil liberties? :rolleyes:

Wow, a legal campaign telling you what you can and can't do with your own body was the beginning of the decline of civil liberties? :rolleyes:

I was saying that the decline in civil liberties began when they gave additional powers to the police to combat the war on drugs. I would approve of any educational compaign that discussed the dangers of drugs. I don't think we do enough education.

its like the government is Big Brother, all eyes on us...

many people want to check out stuff from libraries and research, yet they are afraid that if they do, the government will be on to them...

As an outsider my understanding of the patriot act is without directly saying so infringing on one of Americas most prized possessions, liberty. If you ask a politician if this is this case you'll get an around about no, but as in the UK where our new ‘anti-terror laws’ have been abused on at least one public occasion new laws can be allowed to creep and be used for purposes that they were not intended for. In this case when an 82 year old labour party member at a labour party conference dared shout ‘nonsense’ at our foreign secretary he was forcibly removed from the auditorium and then held under anti-terror laws. Link

I suppose what I am saying is even if people think (misguidedly) that the patriot act is a good thing they should still have their eyes open as to how it could be abused.

This is not the worst case scenario but to hold an 82 year old jewish survivor of the holocaust is not the best case either.

Wow, a legal campaign telling you what you can and can't do with your own body was the beginning of the decline of civil liberties?

Quite frankly, yes. Self-rule is the cornerstone of civil liberty. The only way to win a drug war (or a law enforcement approach to terrorism) is the annihilation of liberty.

thnx a lot...just one more thing, im ending the term paper right now, andi wanted to end it with an old quote that would reflect on the Patriot Act, so far i only have 1...any more would be greatly appreciated...

this is the one.."Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither."-- Benjamin Franklin

The Patriot Act by and large is by and large fine. Even the ACLU concedes that. There are specific portions that are highly controversial though. I'm not sure whether revision or repeal and rewrite is easier to achieve.

Well, my views haven't changed.

Except that I now am aware that the Patriot Act seems to give the police similar powers against terrorism to what they already had available for the war on drugs. So it seems that the decline of civil liberties began actually with the war on drugs. You know it had to be a war of some sort to justify increased police powers and reduced judicial oversight.

Yes and No, the 'war on drugs' made it so that National guards(note that national guards are not state controlled anymore, fyi: federal troops) could work with local police to combat drugs, and the federal government has more control over local police.