Microsoft confirms 360 hard drive shortfall

anyone who's unhappy with their system, please let me know the store location you will be returning it to so i can buy it...since you're so dejected by microsoft, and you're SO ripped off...

also, apparently "smart" consumer = whiny as hell and that makes me like the "dumb" ones.

seems reasonable, dashboard needs some space as well so eh...

While I agree that it isn't a big deal, no, dashboard does not need any space. If it did, how would the core system (without the hard drive) be able to do anything? The hard drive does not store any OS content.

While I agree that it isn't a big deal, no, dashboard does not need any space. If it did, how would the core system (without the hard drive) be able to do anything? The hard drive does not store any OS content.

Hmmm, I suppose that is true if you are not going to go online with the console at all. I'm pretty sure XBL Gold requires the hard drive for the dashboard updates, as they reside on the hard drive, pretty sure they don't get updated to what ever chip is running the default dashboard.

I really don't care I only have 13GB to play with, that's fine. Plenty of space to download demos, play them, get bored of them and delete them.

Hmmm, I suppose that is true if you are not going to go online with the console at all. I'm pretty sure XBL Gold requires the hard drive for the dashboard updates, as they reside on the hard drive, pretty sure they don't get updated to what ever chip is running the default dashboard.

I had a memory card when I first signed up to XBL (Gold) and it downloaded an update then with no problems. XBL requires either a hard drive or a memory card for the profile, not the hard drive only. If I check the system info on my Xbox, it reports two versions of dashboard, one beginning with BK: so I assume that's a backup copy :) It also reports the same information without the memory card or HD so it must be stored in EEPROM.

However, partitions for game cache? That must mean game cache for Xbox games since there's no point having cache for 360 games - all games have to be playable on the core system. I have a core machine with a hard drive that I bought seperately and have noticed no difference in loading times since I added the hard drive.

No.

The Xbox 360 allows developers to use the HDD for caching if it's present. The game has to work fine without the HDD, but it can work better (ie. load faster) using the HDD if it's there. And I've heard several launch games do just that.

The Xbox 360 allows developers to use the HDD for caching if it's present. The game has to work fine without the HDD, but it can work better (ie. load faster) using the HDD if it's there. And I've heard several launch games do just that.

Fair enough, it does make sense, I've just not seen any difference with the drive on any of the 3 games I have. Of course, I know that doesn't mean no game can make use of it :)

If a save game took up 1GB of space and you thought you'd have 20 saves and it's only 13 then yeah sure. But that's not the case. They sold you a 20GB drive. You never expected to actually fill it up anyways. I've had my xbox now for 3yrs and the 10GB drive on it i doubt is anywhere near full and i've downloaded like ever multiplayer map there is to download.

If MS told me with the 360 that i'll be able to download X amount of stuff and i got only half then yea i'd complain but 20GB is what you bought and what you got. I'm sure you never planned on having 20GB of data on the drive anyways.. Sure you can stuff it with MP3s till it's full why bother when you can stream em from a PC?

C'mon people. compairing HDs in the typical sense doesn't apply here. Buying a 160GB drive and only actually having 149GB when formatted sure is a pain but nobody bitches cuz they did actually have a 160Gb drive in the first place. Just not what we expected and those guys should be whupped for that. But this stuff about not having 20GB of user accessible storage space is rediculous.

Actually, 360 demos take up to a gig in some instances, so that would be come an issue of space available real quick...

I just want to know why MS felt the need to sell that 20GB HD for $100 seperately. Maybe a 60GB HD for $100 would have been reasonable...

Edit: Originally thought it wasn't too bad a price given what I thought 2.5 inch SATA drives cost, but it is expensive ;) The 360's HD is ?70 here whereas you can get a 60GB 2.5 inch drive for ?60. Nice.

In short, yes, I agree.

I just want to know why MS felt the need to sell that 20GB HD for $100 seperately. Maybe a 60GB HD for $100 would have been reasonable...

Most likely to encourage people to buy the Premium system. If you can buy the Core, and then spend 40 - 60 bucks more for the HD, then the Premium would seem less needed.

I guess this way, buying the Core system and the HD will cost about the same as a Premium, and that way, you should just get the Premium. Get more stuff with it too anyway.

Most likely to encourage people to buy the Premium system. If you can buy the Core, and then spend 40 - 60 bucks more for the HD, then the Premium would seem less needed.

I guess this way, buying the Core system and the HD will cost about the same as a Premium, and that way, you should just get the Premium. Get more stuff with it too anyway.

Can you mod the 360 to support a larger HD? If not, I don't know people will be happy buying multiple 20GBs. I know I wouldn't.

You can. The hard drive is actually in enclosed in the casing. Just take the casing apart to reveil a laptop hard drive.

Actually, 360 demos take up to a gig in some instances, so that would be come an issue of space available real quick...

Yeah but they didn't say you will be able to download 30 demos now did they. That's what i'm getting at. 20GB does imply there's plenty of storage space but not knowing exactly how much everything really is for the demos then i there's noway you can say you should be able to fit 15 or so demos. For all we know the demos at 1GB are zipped and then extracted later on.

Next thing you know the processors are only going to be running at 2Ghz instead of 3.2. Then some fanboys are gonna say, "but they ARE 3.2 Ghz processors, they only run at 2Ghz, who cares not like your gonna need all that processing power." They are advertising one thing and delivering another.

Losers bitch about everything

watch what you say man..

reported.

you guys need to remember.. 13 gigs is a LOT of game space.. how much of your xbox 1 did you use up? not a whole lot right..

it's 13 GB.. thats like.. 5000 game saves :p probably a lot more.

but then again, there are trailers...

gluttons. Be happy you have 4+ GB to save anything in the first place, and does anyone realize how many game save you can fit onto 10+ gb?! seriously...

Next thing you know the processors are only going to be running at 2Ghz instead of 3.2. Then some fanboys are gonna say, "but they ARE 3.2 Ghz processors, they only run at 2Ghz, who cares not like your gonna need all that processing power." They are advertising one thing and delivering another.

they DID deliver. it IS 20 GB HARD DRIVE. they didnt say 20 GB HARD DRIVE THAT YOU CAN USE 100% OF. it just said, 20 GB HDD. wheres the mismarketing there?

and another thing. don't you people figure GAME CACHE is just as important? I'd much rather wait less time in loading than save 20 GB of crap.

gluttons. Be happy you have 4+ GB to save anything in the first place, and does anyone realize how many game save you can fit onto 10+ gb?! seriously...

they DID deliver. it IS 20 GB HARD DRIVE. they didnt say 20 GB HARD DRIVE THAT YOU CAN USE 100% OF. it just said, 20 GB HDD. wheres the mismarketing there?

In my example they would still be 3.2ghz processors, they did not say that they don't actually get to use them at that frequency though. Where is the mismarketing there???

In my example they would still be 3.2ghz processors, they did not say that they don't actually get to use them at that frequency though. Where is the mismarketing there???

I just resisted temptation to report you for trolling, then realized its not worth anybody's time

I just resisted temptation to report you for trolling, then realized its not worth anybody's time

wouldn't matter anyways. Trolling isnt viewed as trolling here. move along.