NOW CLOSED -Lights Synched To Trans-Siberian Orch.

POSTED: 10:20 am EST December 8, 2005

UPDATED: 11:53 am EST December 8, 2005

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Ohio man who made national television with his computerized Christmas light show has pulled the plug.

Carson Williams said his display has gotten so much attention since being featured on the "Today" show this week, the traffic has become a safety concern in his neighborhood.

The lights on the house were on a timer that is set to go off once every hour and are synchronized to the music "Wizards in Winter" by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Source: NBC4i.com

So I remember seeing the video and stuff and I was wondering: did the guy actually have speakers set up out in front of his house or what? It seemed to me like that would be a real hassle, but it would be a little weird just to have those lights doing that randomly (without music).

The story was on "Today" ... my guess is he did have some form of speaker (probably an outdoor concert type) and a dedicated computer just for that ... imaging playing Quake or somthing and that going of ... "Aww damn, there goes my game!" *LOL*

i think the biggest problem was the lights going off every hour, you see.. people would have parked in front of his house.. and sit there for 1 hour + (then the demand of all the people that want to see it). people would drive in, and because theres nowhere to park they would just stay in front of the house, clog up traffic behind, it would be a nightmare to be driving near his house, its really sad but i see where this guy is coming from, I wouldn't mind having a christmas display like that.. I love christmas and I love lighting up the neiborhood. we always do, and we are already there again, the brightest house on the block always.

that being said, i would go to his house if i lived in the same city as it to watch it in person.

So you're saying if the cops told you to stop doing something, you would tell them where to shove it? :rolleyes:

lol, it reminds me of some guy in my city who had like 80,000 lights on his house, and he blacked out the whole neiborhood. has a mighty fine house though :) i'm sure the power company had a talking with him :p

The story was on "Today" ... my guess is he did have some form of speaker (probably an outdoor concert type) and a dedicated computer just for that ... imaging playing Quake or somthing and that going of ... "Aww damn, there goes my game!" *LOL*

no, with stage lighting and stuff like that computers dont control the lights... a nice thing called DMX's control them... you can have up to 512 channels of independent light sources... and then program them in chase mode or program your own patterns and sync them with beats or map your own sequences... its what they use for concerts to control stage lighting with music

Now that I see the video... Cool. I'd love to see the tech specs behind that...those are just as interesting to me as the actual show.

There are plenty of sites dedicated to computerized christmas lighting displays. Just google it and check them out!

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Ohio man who made national television with his computerized Christmas light show has pulled the plug.

Computerized Christmas Light Show hmmm looks like it was computerized to me.

That was what I was saying episode. "nuefuse" tried to say there was no computers used at all. I knwo it wasn't faked, I never ever said it was. Thanks for showing up.

I think we have a few error ID 10 T's here today ...

That was what I was saying episode. "nuefuse" tried to say there was no computers used at all. I knwo it wasn't faked, I never ever said it was. Thanks for showing up.

I think we have a few error ID 10 T's here today ...

Next time quote the person you are directing the comment to. :no:

This is truly amazing. Sucks that it's shut down, but wow... just... wow! :blink:

DEERFIELD TWP. ? Sheriff's deputies asked the owner who lit up his house with 25,000 Christmas lights synched to music to turn off the display after a traffic accident Tuesday night.

Deerfield Twp. resident Carson Williams agreed to shut down his holiday decorations indefinitely.

Williams told a Cincinnati television station that sheriff's deputies could not reach the traffic accident because of the traffic lined up in his neighborhood.

The display caught attention across the nation on network TV and on the Internet because the lights on the Williams house and filling their yard are synchronized by computer with music broadcast to car radios. There are three songs in the 12-minute display: Frosty the Snowman by the Jackson 5; God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood and Wizards of Winter by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Williams turned his display on the week of Thanksgiving and motorists have lined up between 6 and 10 p.m. ever since.

For the time being, the only place to view the Williams' display will be online.

"He told us if we start having traffic problems that he would shut the display down for a while," Warren County sheriff's Lt. Ed Petrey said Wednesday morning.

Two cars collided in a minor accident at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday on Simpson Creek Drive, which leads to Winding Creek Court, where the Williams live near Mason in southern Warren County. No one was injured.

Williams is an electrical engineer who said his family spent about $10,000 on the display. He had promised his neighbors they would shut it down if there were problems.

"If I get a single complaint I'll shut it down," Carson had said Monday night.

He could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Article: http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/conten...dlightsweb.html

Light Show Song 1 (also in article): http://www.break.com/articles/houselights.html

Light Show Song 2: http://www.break.com/articles/houselights2.html

Supposedly there's another song, but I don't have the link for that, if anyone finds it, please post!:whistle:e:

Happy Holidays!

WHOA! Damm, I have got to get me some of those skills. :woot: :woot: :woot:

Major props to him.

Ok, so who has any idea what kind of programing this would take to set up other than lots of relays?

Edited by Cvrt7.62Ghst