Big difference in LCD and CRT quality

Wow.

Ok, this is going to come off as a really stupid comment but I really wanted to express this here. I have been running Ubuntu (GNOME) on my laptop for quite a while and like the paltform a lot. The only issue I have is that the font rendering on my screen is a bit fuzzy and jagged at certain font sizes. I always just figure it was the old Fonts Look Crappy on Linux problem. Well, I have some workers at my house to day and has forced my out of my living room, where I usually use my laptop, back to my bedroom where my desktop is. So I figured I'd plug in the lappy to my CRT monitor to see what it would look like.

Wow.

It is every bit as crisp and clear as my Windows fonts and I have to say quite nice. How is the LCD rendering for most of you guys? Do any of you use a LCD screen (not a laptop screen) and how does it look? I am thinking it is maybe just my screen as it is a fairly cheap Dell Inspiron and fairly old.

I don't have a LCD on my Linux box, but it may have to do with sub-pixel rendering, perhaps?

Nah, don't think so. I have tweaked and altered every single possible option. Personally, I think it is just cheap hardware.

I use a TFT (Silicon Graphics 1600SW, with Silicon Graphics Multilink). The rendering is excellent, but it took a while to tweak Fontconfig/ Freetype to achieve this quality. My current settings are: Subpixel hinting = off, Autohint = on, Hinting = Full, Antialiasing = on, no sizes excluded. I use Freetype 2.1.10 with bytecode interpreter, X running at 106x113 DPI (the TFT's native resolution). Plus, I use the Windows Vista fonts (Corbel and Consolas), but used Bitstream Vera and later AGFA/ Monotype Arial (not Microsoft Arial) in the past, same outstanding quality.

the new lcd screens availalbe are getting better than CRt in my view. have got a 15" on laptop, 21.3" on pc and 32"hdtv and they all surpass my older 17" crt.

the hdtv definatly destroys any pc/crt due to the added brightness and sharper contrast available.

but then again im only refering to windows,mac osx and tv viewing.

Does the LCD look ok in Windows, though? Same hardware. Or is this a Linux-specific thing?

the new lcd screens availalbe are getting better than CRt in my view. have got a 15" on laptop, 21.3" on pc and 32"hdtv and they all surpass my older 17" crt.

the hdtv definatly destroys any pc/crt due to the added brightness and sharper contrast available.

It looks fine in Windows, so maybe I need to tweak some more. It could be also that it is 1) a cheap laptop 2) fairly old at about 3 years.

I saw your post in the desktops thread, and I can see that you do have some subpixel rendering going on. It may need some tuning and adjusting to get right, but here is how your text is rendering:

post-36818-1134160250.png

I have a Viewsonic LCD for my desktop and run Mandriva and SuSE on different laptops. Everything is clear and crisp! Control Center should allow you to change the subpixels so that they are crisper (on whatever monitor you use).

Barney

Is your LCD set at its native resolution? LCDs look the best if you use their native resolution. Using lower resolutions will make things look a bit blurry. CRTs dont have this problem, so maybe you're not using the default resolution.

But if you're using it, you may need to change some things to your Xorg configuration file.

After uplugging the laptop from the CRT and toying around with the settings, etc. I have conluded that the screen itsef is simply just not that crisp. All aspects of the display, not jsut the fonts are not as nice as the CRT, so I don't feel it is either a) a settings issue 2) a Linux issue.

Well, maybe one day I'll get a new laptop. My paypal account is... ;)

Ubuntu often sets the refresh to 75hz . This is normally outside the native refresh . Check your handbook for your laptop you will probably

fined that the native is 60hz . Check also the resolution, most LCD are usually 1280x1024.

On LCD set outside the natives font rendering will be horrible.