• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

myBB 1.0 released!

Question

Neil    3

MyBB 1.0 Released

Today, the MyBB Group presents you with MyBB 1.0. MyBB is a powerful, efficient and free forum package developed in PHP and MySQL. Developed with the end users in mind, you and your subscribers will feel right at home with full control over their accounts as well as your control over your forums.

MyBB 1.0 marks the end in along and painful process of various beta releases in our attempt to create a stable working copy of MyBB safe for use in production environments.

This release also fixes two sets of important security vulnerabilities discovered in MyBB. imei reported one set of vulnerabilities, which will not be made public under any advisory. The second set, discovered by tk fixes potential SQL injection problems with uncleaned variables. Coinciding with this release as an advisory outlining that these vulnerabilities exist, however no specific information will be released at this stage [details on affected arguments and files].

For this reason, we recommend all users update to 1.0 as soon as possible.

You may discuss this announcement here: http://community.mybboard.net/showthread.php?tid=5185

Thank you for your continued support,

Chris Boulton & MyBB Group.

New Features / Changes

We tried to keep the number of changes from PR2 to 1.0 at a bare minimum to ensure that new bugs weren?t created. Noticible changes include:

* A "Find Updated" link in the templates section which allows you to identify any custom templates that you currently have which have been updated since your last upgrade.

* A new default theme, based on ideas off Chris, Darren and Kilroy. The new theme includes an updated image set and logo.

Where to from here?

Several things are underway here at the MyBB Group. You?ll be hearing more about this soon, such as where we?re headed with MyBB now, as well as developments with documentation (the wiki), and team structural changes and new positions.

Upgrade Notes

Upgrading your board follows the same simple process that RC4 -> PR2 did.

You will not lose any changed templates if you?re running PR2. Earlier versions require a full revert to the standard MyBB templates.

Assuming you?re already running PR2:

* Upload all of the MyBB files with the exception of inc/config.php, and inc/settings.php.

* Run the upgrade script in your web browser at /install/upgrade.php.

* After the upgrade is complete, login to your Admin CP and use the ?Find Updated? tool in the templates section to search for any custom templates you have which may need to be updated. You?ll need to update your custom templates to contain the new code, or revert them to the default.

ehlo    0

Mybb is alright but I still think SMF beats it in performance, features and security hands down

chopyaedoff    0

it's looks like a cross between IPB and phpBB

interesting.

Computer Guru    3

its a nice software :yes:

wasn't 1.0 supposed to have AJAX?

Neil    3

its a nice software :yes:

wasn't 1.0 supposed to have AJAX?

no but 1.2 will.

Stokkolm    336

That's really cool. I look forward to what you have in the future.

Computer Guru    3

no but 1.2 will.

Am I confusing this with IceBB? (that seems to have gone off the map..)

gigapixels    99

Woot, been waiting for this. Great forum package.

Lighthalzen    62

Mybb is alright but I still think SMF beats it in performance, features and security hands down

I just took a look and I agree! :D

James B    0

Typical... I upgraded my forum to Preview Release 2 the day before "Gold" was released. :p

I'm really pleased with it. If they had a script that went from vB to MyBB I'd convert in a flash on one forum.

Neil    3

Typical... I upgraded my forum to Preview Release 2 the day before "Gold" was released. :p

I'm really pleased with it. If they had a script that went from vB to MyBB I'd convert in a flash on one forum.

Convertors is there next job now they have hit 1.0

Dotdot    322

Great News, been waiting for this for a wee while now. myBB is my def free bb of choice these days :)

Computer Guru    3

But SMF is ugly :(

Stokkolm    336

Great News, been waiting for this for a wee while now. myBB is my def free bb of choice these days :)

Yeah me too, I used to like phpBB but they kinda went flat now. It shouldn't take 5 years to get a new version out.

Computer Guru    3

plus phpBB is featureless, ugly, bulky, and insecure

Clinteger    2

yes, phpBB is horrible. myBB doesn't look to great, though. not a very nice design. where's all the graphic designers?!!

iceBB and myBB both seem like they will have a good future...

teh clii

qEdit: 2nd page :-)

Quillz    1,011
yes, phpBB is horrible. myBB doesn't look to great, though. not a very nice design. where's all the graphic designers?!!

iceBB and myBB both seem like they will have a good future...

teh clii

qEdit: 2nd page :-)

MyBB operates much like vB... So it's quite easy to change the look of the board.

James B    0

With the forum I really use MyBB on I changed everything except the buttons and rearranged the templates. It fits in much better with the content and topic, but could still do with some improvement (wanted to finish it quickly towards the end).

Thanks for pointing that out about the converters - will have a look at their forums now. I had seen you can go vB -> phpBB -> MyBB which is what some posters there said to do, but with 15,000 posts and loads of attachments I was a bit worried.

Some bits about MyBB don't jump out at me like they do with vB, and I'd be quite happy without AJAX on the MyBB one I have.

nvez    0

How did you really compare the performence? Care to list WHICH features does SMF has and MyBB doesn't? Oh, and security, you exploited it?

Don't make up stuff without any proof.

.Brien    0

SMF is one of the ugliest forums I've ever used.

Neil    3

SMF is one of the ugliest forums I've ever used.

That's what I hate about it and each forum is just as secure as each other if you stay up to date, VB and IPB both had vulnerabilities.

Computer Guru    3
With the forum I really use MyBB on I changed everything except the buttons and rearranged the templates. It fits in much better with the content and topic, but could still do with some improvement (wanted to finish it quickly towards the end).

Can you give us a link? I'd like to see a balls-out skinned myBB forum very badly :yes:

Thanks for pointing that out about the converters - will have a look at their forums now. I had seen you can go vB -> phpBB -> MyBB which is what some posters there said to do, but with 15,000 posts and loads of attachments I was a bit worried.

Make a SQL backup and give it a shot :rolleyes:

Some bits about MyBB don't jump out at me like they do with vB, and I'd be quite happy without AJAX on the MyBB one I have.

The only bits of Ajax I like are voting without leaving the page (which is NOT implemented in any forums yet?! WTF!!!) and inline topic title/subtitle moderation.

Michael_C    0

When are they gonna get rid of those ****ing ugly buttons? >_<

gigapixels    99

How did you really compare the performence? Care to list WHICH features does SMF has and MyBB doesn't? Oh, and security, you exploited it?

Don't make up stuff without any proof.

Just what I was thinking...

Smitjel    0

Well this looks like the best free board I've seen. PunBB is cool but not as many features (I think that's the point though). phpBB has been left in the dust and the developers over there are waaaay too anal. They're even fighting with each other. And don't even think about asking how the progress is going on version 3. :rolleyes:

Computer Guru    3
Well this looks like the best free board I've seen. PunBB is cool but not as many features (I think that's the point though). phpBB has been left in the dust and the developers over there are waaaay too anal. They're even fighting with each other. And don't even think about asking how the progress is going on version 3. :rolleyes:

No, the best free board is http://forums.asp.net/