• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Yahoo! Messenger

michael.b    0

How much longer do we have to wait for a hint of an update on Yahoo! messenger?

I mean, I thought MSN would have remained the most out-dated of all the messengers, yet it's the most up-to-date in the Windows/Mac messengers.

AIM is gravely outdated, as well, but at least for AIM, I have my alternatives such as iChat and Adium, so it's not much a set back.

Even the interface just doesn't match the OS any longer. I would have thought that with the growing market, even though it's still a small portion of the total market, would have received a little more attention.

I wish they catered to some of our wishes. I mean, as far as Yahoo! goes, I'd even pay for a client, if given the opportunity, to at least have a somewhat equivalent product.

Thank you for hearing my rant. :)

Southern Patriot    933

That article has absolutely nothing to do with the Mac version of Yahoo Messenger though, which is what this thread is refering to. Did you bother to notice which section you were in, or the references to Mac in varekai2's post?

am_fek    0

Don't mean to be a pain, but in case you weren't aware, Adium (adiumx.com) can handle Yahoo accounts. It's not the real thing and I always get slightly annoyed at the "BUT ADIUM!" people, but hey, it's a pretty cool app :)

Morgan    1

Yeah, just because the official client isn't updated often doesn't mean things liek AdiumX and Fire and a couple others don't get updated and in some instances are even cooler then the official client.

Walk into the Sea    0
That article has absolutely nothing to do with the Mac version of Yahoo Messenger though, which is what this thread is refering to. Did you bother to notice which section you were in, or the references to Mac in varekai2's post?
Calm down lady, it was an easy mistake to make.

couture    0

Don't mean to be a pain, but in case you weren't aware, Adium (adiumx.com) can handle Yahoo accounts. It's not the real thing and I always get slightly annoyed at the "BUT ADIUM!" people, but hey, it's a pretty cool app :)

It's a good app but there is no support for webcam, and file/picture transfer never works, at least for me. But I still prefer it over the current mac yahoo.

am_fek    0

Yeah, video chat is just one of those areas where the Mac just lags behind, it sucks. Having pretty H.264 video chat in iChat is lovely, but a bit useless when your Windows friends point and laugh at you for suggesting they start using AIM.

Buy everyone you know an iMac G5 with iSight and you'll be all set :)

ponytail    5

This is the response I received when sending them an email.

Yahoo! Messenger for Macintosh does not include the voice chat feature.

We are aware there is strong interest among our Macintosh users, but

there is currently no schedule for releasing this feature.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Zolk    0

I like the work Yahoo! has done with the Windows version of Messenger. It's one of my favorite clients on that platform. However, the Mac version is a joke. Luckily, most of the contacts I know on Yahoo also use either AIM or Google Talk, both of which I connect through using the simple, yet elegant, iChat.