Plasma TV's..Zenith, Samsung, Toshiba

So my father is finally looking at upgrading a much over due theatre system; speakers, reciever, sub, tv, stand, installation, the works. We've managed to find almost everything except we are still a little uncertain on which 50" Plasma screen to get.

There is the Zenith 50" Plasma (z50px2d) which retails for around $2.900. I know Zenith isnt the best brand out there but is it still worth purchasing? [ http://www.zenith.com/index.asp?url=./sub_....asp%3Fcat%3D10 ]

Next we have the Toshiba 50" Plasma (50hp95) which retails for around $4,000. Im not quite sure how good toshiba is with Plasma screens but for the price I think it would be better to go with a Hitachi or other. [ http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisions/pr...p?model=50HPX95]

Lastly, theres the Samsung 50" Plasma (hbrpr5052) which retails for around $3,600. I know that Samsung is a great brand when it comes to LCD's but again not to sure about plasma's. [ http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/PlasmaTV/HPR5052XXAA.asp ]

As of right now he is planning on purchasing the Zenith becuase $1,000 off of an already $8,000 for this upgrade is going to be really appreciated. But what and how much are we loosing becuase of it?

All and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

uhg, I just realized i miss spelled Plasma in the title, oh well :blush:

Thank you for the information but I was wondering if I could get more of a detailed explanation out of you as to why the Zenith sucks and the Panasonic is better. My father needs more facts to pursade his decision as to why he should'nt go with the Zenith and I would really like him to trust your opinion on this matter. Thank you for all your time.

Thank you for the information but I was wondering if I could get more of a detailed explanation out of you as to why the Zenith sucks and the Panasonic is better. My father needs more facts to pursade his decision as to why he should'nt go with the Zenith and I would really like him to trust your opinion on this matter. Thank you for all your time.

You just have to look at them to see. While the Panasonic may have a lower contrast ratio according to the spec sheets, the image is much more vibrant and defined. The Zenith has a blurry washed out quality to it that drives me nuts.

Unfortunatly you cant get an idea of a TV's quality at places like BestBuy or Circut City becuase they are splitting the same HD connection through 20-30 TV's and they all look washed out.

Unfortunatly you cant get an idea of a TV's quality at places like BestBuy or Circut City becuase they are splitting the same HD connection through 20-30 TV's and they all look washed out.

While the quality of the signal may not be the best, that statement is also not true. The signal amplification system does a pretty good job. Even if the signal were terrible, all sets would look equally bad then. Sets like the Pioneers blow everything out of the water while sets like the Zeniths (LG's low end models) and Maxents look like complete trash.

It seems you're already set on buying that Zenith because the price tag enticed you. Just know what you're getting.

forget Plasma...rip off get a projection or crt based one...

That's just an assinine statement right there.

Acutally I just got done discussing it with my dad and he agrees you pay budget and you will get a budget TV. We are going to go with the Panasonic if they carry it (Circut City), if not were looking at the Samsung.

Acutally I just got done discussing it with my dad and he agrees you pay budget and you will get a budget TV. We are going to go with the Panasonic if they carry it (Circut City), if not were looking at the Samsung.

CC should carry that Pansonic for sure. The Samsungs are very good also and I do advise you compare the two. I find the Pansonic's to have a sharper image while the Sammy's usually have better black levels.

Thanks again for all the information, I called CC and they didnt have any Panasonics in stock, only the Samsungs. However BB does have that Panasonic in stock so were going to talk with the salesmen tommorow and see if they will drop the price on the Samsung, or if they can order the Panasonic.

I ALMOST FORGOT!! It slipped my mind but i needed to ask about burn ins on those plasmas. From what the sales person at CC told me he said they are much better at not having burn ins from lets say a PS2/ Xbox / Xbox360 but what is your guys opinion on that matter?

I ALMOST FORGOT!! It slipped my mind but i needed to ask about burn ins on those plasmas. From what the sales person at CC told me he said they are much better at not having burn ins from lets say a PS2/ Xbox / Xbox360 but what is your guys opinion on that matter?

They have significiantly improved at preventing burn in. Most companies say it's fine as long as you don't game more than 5 hours a day.

CHk this one out http://www.pioneer.com.au/home_entertainme...36hd/index.html

Its a Pioneer. I just got it last few months. Excellent picture quality with the High Definition Movies and also A media center box which consists of all the possible needed slots.

I would always recommend a Pioneer over anything else, but they are simply not in his price range.