Best 34-40" Widescreen TV?

For the best image quality you would want the Sony 34XBR960. It is certainly way more bulky than a 32" LCD, but the image quality would be substantially better. It might be a bit over 1500 though.

For the best image quality you would want the Sony 34XBR960. It is certainly way more bulky than a 32" LCD, but the image quality would be substantially better. It might be a bit over 1500 though.

The thing is HUGE and is almost always over $1500. It literally takes 3 average people to lift that set.

i would stay with LCD...but thats just me. i'd suggest a samsung or viewsonic. check fatwallet for hot deals. don't forget CES is right around the corner, so there should be a lot of new stuff coming out.

The thing is HUGE and is almost always over $1500. It literally takes 3 average people to lift that set.

Perhaps, but it has the best picture quality on the planet.

• 2 weeks later...

That's debateable.

I dont really see how it is. It has the best color values and dark levels of any set out there. Contrast is never an issue on a CRT of that quality, and the only argument that anyone can pull against it is that it doesn't natively display 720p. Of course that doesn't really matter because half of the people out there cant tell the difference, and the other half think its a small difference.

I dont really see how it is. It has the best color values and dark levels of any set out there. Contrast is never an issue on a CRT of that quality, and the only argument that anyone can pull against it is that it doesn't natively display 720p. Of course that doesn't really matter because half of the people out there cant tell the difference, and the other half think its a small difference.

It is debateable. First of all, you can't use numbers to judge a set. I don't care about anything other than what the person buying sees. My eyes are different from yours and different from the thread starters. As someone who cares a lot about quality, the set is NOT worth the size of the unit itself.

I have one of these XBR's.

If you want picture quality over anything else, this your set.

If you want ease of movement within your place then look elsewhere.

Anyone who knows anything about TV's will tell you CRT is by far the best picture, but the smallest size.

So weigh your options based on whats more important to you

Larger picture with less quality

or

Smaller picture and best quality.

Choice is ultimately yours!

CRT isn't always the best picture. I'm really tired of purists who refuse to accept that there are other technologies that do a VERY good job, such as the plasmas from Pioneer and Panasonic.

It is debateable. First of all, you can't use numbers to judge a set. I don't care about anything other than what the person buying sees. My eyes are different from yours and different from the thread starters. As someone who cares a lot about quality, the set is NOT worth the size of the unit itself.

I agree. my parents made me get the 30" of that and its so frickin heavy. I wanted to get the 30" samsung CRT which was about 50lbs lighter and cheaper, but my parents are sony freaks

Sighhhh

Plasma is bottom of the list for quality.

The LCOS technology and DLP are the front runners to take out CRT's as the best picture.

But Plasma?

Hardly.

Are you kidding? Plasma is a natural successor to CRT's since they both use the same basic idea in getting the image of the screen through exciting phosphors. Plasma's also, naturally, give the best blacks, next to a CRT. Anyone who think's Plasma is the worst in quality needs to rethink and restudy.