Best 50 inch Plasma?

Dude, I'm looking at them with my own eyes on the same exact feed. Hell, shut the sets off. The Pioneer has a blacker screen which adds to the effect of black levels. I had a customer, a few days ago, who knew almost nothoing even comment how the Panasonic black looked a little grayer than other sets.

Then you don't have them set up right. The panasonics still have slightly slightly deeper blacks than the pioneers.

Heres what a person on another forum found to be the optimal user settings:

Pioneer 5060:

AV Selection: User

Contrast: +40

Brightness: +4

Color: -12

Tint: 0

Sharpness: -1

Pioneer 5060 ADV Settings:

Pure Cinema: Standard

Color Temp: Mid

DNR: Low

Mpeg NR: Low

CTI: Off

Panasonic 50PX50u:

Picture Mode: Standard

Picture: +25

Brightness: +3

Color: -4

Tint: -2

Sharpness: 0

Color Temp: Normal

Color Management: Off

Video NR: Off

Mpeg NR: Off

Black level: Light

Here's what another person got for optimal settings on the Alien DVD...

Panasonic:

Pic Mode: Standard

Temp: Normal

Color Management: Off

Video NR : Off

MPEG DNR: Off

Black Level: I started with "Light" for a while, and ended up switching to "Black"

Pioneer

Pic Mode Pure Cinema: Standard

Color Temp: Mid

DNR: Low (also checked "off" and "mid")

CTI: Off

Picture Adjustment Settings:

Panasonic

Contrast: + 20

Brightness: I didn't write down my brightness for the "light" mode, but in "dark" mode I ended up around +8 on Alien.

Tint: 0

Color: - 3 to 0

Pioneer

Contrast: 38

Brightness: - 3

Color: - 5

Then you don't have them set up right. The panasonics still have slightly slightly deeper blacks than the pioneers.

SonComet, you're missing my point. Even with the sets turned off, the physical panel is a darker black on the Pioneer. That plys a role in presenting truer blacks.

:no:

Plasma don't offer REAL HDTV (1920x1080). They maxout at 720p

I was thinking more of the Sony SXRD ACL, it cost more, but the picture IS SO MUCH BETTER!

Real HDTV? Real HDTV is defined as anything 720p or higher (average). That Sony SXRD? It doesn't accept incoming 1080p signals even though it has the resolution to support it.

I think you're missing the point. The panny displays the darker blacks of the two with the lights off. Its a fact, it's not my fault if the settings you had the tvs on was making you see differently.

Ofcourse turning the lights out plays a role, but you can't actually compare any tv to another under any lighting condition unless they are properly set up. I can make any tv display black poorly if I wanted to. You kind of have to work a little sometimes to get the best out of a tv. That's all I was saying. Also, your opinion of the panasonic's blacks goes against every major review and personal review I have ever seen, and is opposite to what I see myself. At worst the 8th gen panasonic and 6th gen pioneer would appear to have equal blacks. The fact that one is much worse than the other makes me think something is wrong with the way the panels are set up.

So I guess that we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You are missing my point. I'm not talking about turning the lights out, I'm talking about turning the TV's off and looking at them. The Pioneer's panel is a darker shade of black than the Panasonic which helps give it better blacks when the set is turned on.

You are missing my point. I'm not talking about turning the lights out, I'm talking about turning the TV's off and looking at them. The Pioneer's panel is a darker shade of black than the Panasonic which helps give it better blacks when the set is turned on.

But when turned on the panasonics are still capable of slightly better blacks than the pioneers. They very close now, and personally I would choose a pioneer over a panasonic for there more vibrant colors, but when on the pioneer doesn't have better blacks, its a fact. I'll listen to my eyes and every other review out there before I listen to your opinion.