HDTV + DVD player. How?

my family just bought a Samsung 51" DPL HDTV and i got a few questions

1. (newb question) with HDTV cna i only get HDTV quality with HDTV channels ? can i get HDTV with DVDs?

2. if so what do i need (or do i already have it) ?

i got a...

DVD player

HDTV

Monster cable http://www.monstercable.com/thx/productPag...20Interconnects

and cable company box for HDTV channels

also, if i connect my comp or xbox to the tv is there a big chance of images being burned in

Edited by sigma220

You will need an upconverting DVD player to get full HD. The setup you have now will only give you 480p. With a HD DVD player, you can get a 720p/1080i image from regular DVD's.

well you won't get true HDTV quality from a DVD until both:

a)The new higher capacity formats like Blu-Ray and HD-DVD come out

and

b)Movies are released on those formats with a 720p or 1080i resolution

Keep in mind that even when these new DVD formats are released that you will never be able to overcome the quality of the original print, there will be absolutely no need to buy Ben-Hur again or Army of Darkness as even the original prints are far below HD quality and no amount of technical wizardry will change that. However films that are recent like Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and the like that were actually filmed at high resolutions in digital could be released in much higher quality than thier current DVD editions. Just don't fall for the double dips.

That said there's things you can do to improve your current DVD's marginally. You could get a progressive scan dvd player that outputs at 480p instead of the normal 480i, that would look better than what it would on a standard tv, or even better you can get a DVD player that upscales to 1080i which would make the DVD's look even better, but again these tricks won't be able to actually improve the source and won't get you the same level of quality as you'll see on your true HD channels.

Good choice on the Samsung DLP. They make the best ones out there. I have one, and I love it.

To be honest, this year, I prefer the Toshiba's a little more.

That said there's things you can do to improve your current DVD's marginally. You could get a progressive scan dvd player that outputs at 480p instead of the normal 480i, that would look better than what it would on a standard tv, or even better you can get a DVD player that upscales to 1080i which would make the DVD's look even better, but again these tricks won't be able to actually improve the source and won't get you the same level of quality as you'll see on your true HD channels.

is there a big difference between the 1080i and the 480p.

what is a good upscaling 1080i dvd player that has a reasonable price?

what is a good progresive scan dvd player that has a reasonable price?

what is a good upscaling 1080i dvd player that has a reasonable price?

what is a good progresive scan dvd player that has a reasonable price?

yes, there is a big difference, to me at least.

Almost every single player on the market now is progressive scan.

Samsung DVD-HD950 is a good model for an upconverting player.

To be honest, this year, I prefer the Toshiba's a little more.

Personal taste, I guess.

480p isn't even HD. There is even a big difference between 480p and 720p, at least to me. However I think the difference between 1080i and 720p is much less dramatic. I actually prefer 720p, because of the fact that it's progressive.

Glad bangbang023 is here because my eyes truly suck. Time to get some new contacts to replace these 7 year old abominations, I couldn't tell you what looks better. 5 years ago i remember how much better S-video looked over composite on my dreamcast and last month I got a PS2 and component cables and couldn't see the difference between them and the stock composite, so I'm a terrible judge for what looks better now.

Glad bangbang023 is here because my eyes truly suck. Time to get some new contacts to replace these 7 year old abominations, I couldn't tell you what looks better. 5 years ago i remember how much better S-video looked over composite on my dreamcast and last month I got a PS2 and component cables and couldn't see the difference between them and the stock composite, so I'm a terrible judge for what looks better now.

You have to realize that unless you have a good enough TV, there won't be THAT much of a difference between composite and component for something like the PS2. 480i is 480i. Component shows you a whole new world when you start getting progressive scan from it, though.

Remember one more thing. The DVD Players like the Samsung that upconvert do NOT upconvert using that Monster Component Cable you have.

I have an older model and it came with a DVI cable. The newer ones probably come with a HDMI cable. Use that to hook it up if you want it to upconvert and read the directions on how to enable the upconvert. When you go to buy one make sure it includes the cable cause those type cable are pricy normally.

You have to realize that unless you have a good enough TV, there won't be THAT much of a difference between composite and component for something like the PS2. 480i is 480i. Component shows you a whole new world when you start getting progressive scan from it, though.

In 480i Will I notice a difference Between Svidio and RCA and compenent on a dvd player

And Is there a difference between using real component cables and rca cables as long as its still on component?

In 480i Will I notice a difference Between Svidio and RCA and compenent on a dvd player

And Is there a difference between using real component cables and rca cables as long as its still on component?

It's really comes down to your eyes and the quality of your set.

As for using composite cables in the component connectors, I know it works, but true component cables will almost definitely give you a better picture. The impedance of the wires is properly tuned on component cables. On composites, two of the cables (sound) don't have the perferable impedance.

I'm glad the salesman did his job and explained things to them, sheesh.

To use those cables, you need to get an HD cable/satellite box. You would then use them to get HD content o nthe channels that broadcast it. You could also use them on your DVD player to get progressive scan. In addition to them, however, you also need to get some stereo audio cables to cover the sound.

Apparently the salesperson said not to use the yellow prong (out of the red and white) when using the cables. is this true? cuz when i try attaching the cables to my dvd player without the yellow prong no video is displayed.

i connected my xbox to the tv and there is a delay. when i press a button or move a stick it takes a second for the action to happen on the screen. is there anyway to fix this or do i have to deal with it?

• 7 months later...

BUMP!

If i got a converter that could convert RCA to S-Video and connected the S-Video to my TV would it alleviate the problem of Delay? or would it not make a difference?