• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Are plasma screens worth it? Your opinion/exper.

Osiris    821

Im slightly bamboozled by the point of Plasma screens.

I mean is all this 'burn in' stuff hype, well not hype but over exxagerated? It seems whenever I look up a review or info on plasma screens all I get is burn in this burn in that. I know alot of them now have pixel rotation/shifting but is that enough? And what about consoles, can you even risk playing consoles on them?

Just anyone who has one, or who has been around one prolifically, fill me in here, because I was all keen on getting one early next year, but I dunno now.

Cheers.

Osiris.

6785077276    1

Don't believe the hype about burn in. I've had my plasma for nearly a year now and no burn in has occurred. Buy it and thank me later.

boddington    0

I've had one for nearly 3 years now and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

bangbang023    31

Ok, you have to realize that a lot of what you hear about plasmas nowadays is purely exaggerated. As a rule of thumb, the first thing I tell my customers is: Everything you've heard about plasma, forget.

Burnin is no where near the problem it used to be. Pixel shifting technologies help immensely and more and more tests show that most cases of burn in are actually cases of image retention ("burned in" image will fade after changign the channel for a few hours).

Gaming? Most of the better companies like Panasonic and Pioneer still recommend not going on marathon gaming sessions. If you plan on playing games for than 5 hours at a time, you may want to consider another technology, though avergae gaming is perfectly fine.

Osiris    821

Cheers for the info guys, yeah I dont do massive amounts of gaming, I cant imagine myself having the time to spend 5hrs straight playing games, I just like to know that the option is there.

Well its good to know the burn in stuff was a bit exaggerated, as I think I will go back to considering a purchase.

Civilian    0

whats the difference in playing 5 hours of gaming or watching 5 hours of tv ?

why do they advise not to game for 5 hours... isn't that the same as watching 5 hours of tv ?

CrimsonBlur    0

whats the difference in playing 5 hours of gaming or watching 5 hours of tv ?

why do they advise not to game for 5 hours... isn't that the same as watching 5 hours of tv ?

No, because a lot (most) of games have static UI's. Sure the health bar changes, etc., but it doesn't change position. So let's say you play Halo 2 4-5 hours a day, you'll have the Halo 2 HUD burned in your screen (potentially). Watching TV, unless you are watching cable news 5 hours a day (the tickers) it will never be a static image, except for the stupid station logos but thanks to commercials you only see those for like 10 min. at a time :rolleyes:

generalnewbie    0

ill second the what was said above. Burn in is not a factor. and if you keep reading that it is.. they are old school and thinking about old technology. Kinda like the idea that "American cars suck" it was pushed into our brains that only the germans and japs can build cars. This isnt true.

Plasma screens dont have burn in issues period. If you really want to find out just ask a store how many returns they get cause of burn ins. The problem will probably be more of dead pixels then anything else

Osiris    821

Well thats what I was thinking, I mean you try and read up on Plasmas, and they focus on the burn in issues, and the whole what is it? 50,000-60,000hrs of brightness or whatever etc. But im reading em thinking how are all these ppl buying them/using them if these issues are so prevelent? But yeah the answer appears to be that they arent necessarily issues at all.