• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Questions from a Mac newbie

DJLunacy    14

Hey all I have an extra PC that I am going to be swapping with my boss he has 2 little kids that don't use the iMac he bought them so I am going to take it off his hands so I can cross develop some software I am working on.

I have some questions for all you Mac-heads :)

I have a network with 2 PC's and a hub... 1 runs XP 1 runs 98SE, The cable modem is plugged into the PC and it shares the internet via ICS.

1. Will it be possible to plug the mac into my hub and have it networked with the 2 PC's??

2. Is it possible to share the cable modem with the iMac?

3. Is there any way to do it without purchasing a router?

Airw0lf    0

well...i think if u change the settings right u can..

set the gateway of the pc which has the cable modem in the nic.

nameserver of your isp

new ip address.

then u should be able to use the internet.

i'm not sure but i think u can have a home network, so u can share files between win and osx.

some apple ppl can answer this better!

Keldyn    1

I have the same dilemma. My powerbook just arrived and i am having some trouble networking this thing with my Intel PC's. Is this even possible? Excuse my ignorance. I'm venturing into unknown territory for me ...;)

Wickedkitten    12
Originally posted by DJLunacy

Hey all I have an extra PC that I am going to be swapping with my boss he has 2 little kids that don't use the iMac he bought them so I am going to take it off his hands so I can cross develop some software I am working on.

I have a network with 2 PC's and a hub... 1 runs XP 1 runs 98SE, The cable modem is plugged into the PC and it shares the internet via ICS.

1. Will it be possible to plug the mac into my hub and have it networked with the 2 PC's??

If it's running OS X just put the ip of the pc that is connected to the cable modem under the router bit in osx and put that ip under domain name server as well. subnet mask as 255.255.255.0

unspec    0

If you are using MS Windows ICS it can also set up a DCHP server (I think it does this by default) in the class C network IP range.

So, all you would need to do is set the Mac to automatically assign an IP via DCHP and set the DNS and default gateway to the IP of the NIC (on the PC) that is sharing the internet connection.

ICS will probably set the sharing NIC to be 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 so if you don't know the IP, this would be a good guess.

I've not tried it on the 10.x.x.x series of IP's but it should be the same deal - just make sure the other computers have non-conflicting IPs and use the IP of the NIC sharing the connection as the DNS and gateway.

As for windows (SMB) shares - you would probably be best getting 10.2 asap. The SMB browsing in 10.1 is ok but it is a lot more polished in 10.2. I know Wickedkitten is using Dave with 10.1, you could try that if you didn't want to wait for Jaguar.

--

unspec

unspec    0
Originally posted by DJLunacy

cable modem -> PC(ICS) -> hub -> whatever Mac/PC etc

The PC with ICS on it is already acting as a router, you don't need to purchase one. Just plug the Mac into the same hub the non-ICS PC is plugged into.

--

unspec