[review] Nikon D50 DSLR camera

The D70/D70s & the D50 are more or less the same camera specs (there are minor differances which would need to be looked at for your own particular needs).

There's also the price difference to consider, and the fact, that the D50 is noticably smaller then the D70/D70s

For ~?460 you can get the D50 kit from the UK (Jessops currently has the best price online)

For ~?725 you can get the D70s kit from the UK (Jessops currently has the best price online)

In comparison, the Canon EOS 350D/Rebel XT comes in at ~?580

Choice between Nikon & Canon?

I'd seriously go to a camera shop and feel the differance. Whilst (in my opinion) the Canon is a better camera in terms of max resolution, its feel is not as nice as the Nikon - almost a cheapish plastic which can easily be marked.

The Nikon too is a plastic type body, but does not seem to be prone to easy marks.

If you were trying to decide between the 2 Nikons, I would personally say the D50 as its an all round better camera for the amateur professional.

If you're more professional then you should in all honesty probably looking at something like a Canon EOS20d or the Nikon D200.

After all that - I need to go save up for my Nikon D50

I have to say though the colour palette of Nikons is a real good point of them, BUT i prefer the Canon camera's down right. Especially the 350D which i have and rocks!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking about getting this camera to replace my Canon PowerShot G5. The Apple Store UK currently have it on special offer until Jan 25. You get the camera kit and a free 1GB SD card for ?479 inc VAT and shipping. Seems like a good deal.

• 2 months later...

wrong. you cant use the LCD becuase the chip for the DSLR requires so much of a powerful chip to offload and live view on the LCD, it is just not worth it. the only reason little cameras can do it is because their chips for taking pictures are a fraction of the size, and need far less power of a CPU to get it in live preview.

silly to and fro'ing - but no, the reason is the original reason involving mirrors.

Also, a mechanical diaphragm is used to control the exposure. Therefore, even though a DSLR has a color display at the back of the camera body, it doesn't provide "live preview"

- Wikipedia

I bought this camera two weeks ago, I couldn't be more happy! it's a great camera!

I bought this camera two weeks ago, I couldn't be more happy! it's a great camera!