WindowBlinds 5: Black title bars on cracked ver

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but if you want a quick fix to the problem, then simply set your date back a couple of weeks (I set mine to December 1st) and reboot your computer. WindowBlinds should (hopefully) work again now... mine does :D

Trial version is also messed up..will not even use this full sh#t .

The trial version works just fine. I have it on a pc next to me.

If you previously had the crack on the pc then it may be some files have not been removed correctly before you installed the trial. In which case delete the contents of the WindowBlinds directory (you may need to rename any files in use) before rebooting & then installing the trial.

Like said before, if a function is not ready, don't ship it or delay it!

Look at Microsoft. They take huge amounts of time to complete a product, but look at their activation system: Efficient, yet simple, and for example Office won't f*ck off your computer because it's not activated. Same for Windows. What happens when the time for activation is finished? Doesn't work, but your computer is not slow, is says what's the problem and it advertises itself many times before stopping. And for Norton AntiVirus? Does it only stop working, or does it add viruses manually to punish you? Same thing should be there for WB. It simply shouldn't f*ck off the computer like that. I just tested. Took me 10 minutes to get a FUNCTIONAL system, and that's with the tips I found, or it would have taken over 20 minutes. That's simply unacceptable

I think you are being somewhat unfair. WindowBlinds only partially stops working because of the actions of the crack. As I've said, it's not realistic for us to predict everything that may happen when someone posts a crack for WindowBlinds - when you modify someone else's binary code without fully understanding it, anything can happen.

As far as we're concerned, it was ready enough for shipping, considering that the only people affected by would be those who have installed the crack or modified WindowBlinds themselves. But suppose it were possible to do more to make it more "cracker-friendly", given time. Should we really be doing that, considering the only benefactors are people who weren't willing to buy our software in the first place? Surely our time would be better spent improving the product for those who have? Why should our customers have to pay for a better experience for those who cracked it?

I figured out a temporary solution for this bug. I've come to the conclusion that the new Microsoft patches install new files that remain on the system even after removal of the patches. These files have something to do with the anti-aliasing font system of Windows. When I turned off the 'font smoothing' option in the 'Display' properties, titlebars reappeared and everything was fine again, except for the jagged fonts. I hope this works for everyone else.

I figured out a temporary solution for this bug. I've come to the conclusion that the new Microsoft patches install new files that remain on the system even after removal of the patches. These files have something to do with the anti-aliasing font system of Windows. When I turned off the 'font smoothing' option in the 'Display' properties, titlebars reappeared and everything was fine again, except for the jagged fonts. I hope this works for everyone else.

I have noticed this also. Did anyone else notice that this only started after the new updates from WU? Granted yes the protections of WB5 have always been in place and everyone should have known about them. But it really has become an issue with these newest updates.

Maybe it is MS issue with not testing its updates correctly before releasing them.

But I must say I downloaded/installed the new updates and haven't had a problem. And yes I own a OD subscription so I do own WB5.

Look at Microsoft. They take huge amounts of time to complete a product, but look at their activation system: Efficient, yet simple, and for example Office won't f*ck off your computer because it's not activated. Same for Windows. What happens when the time for activation is finished? Doesn't work, but your computer is not slow, is says what's the problem and it advertises itself many times before stopping. And for Norton AntiVirus? Does it only stop working, or does it add viruses manually to punish you? Same thing should be there for WB. It simply shouldn't f*ck off the computer like that. I just tested. Took me 10 minutes to get a FUNCTIONAL system, and that's with the tips I found, or it would have taken over 20 minutes. That's simply unacceptable

Stardock should do the same than Microsoft and Symantec. It should go back to the drawing board for its activation system or it will alienate many customers, indirectly for the most part. And now with one of its many advantages gone (accurate Vista emulation (KoL's VistaXP was too much accurate, Microsoft made it get removed, same thing will happen if another gets too accurate)), WB will gain customers much more slowly.

Here's a better idea: don't pirate software. You do not have the right to complain about software that you obtained legally.

It's like stealing a television from an electronics store, and then going back to them saying "So I stole this TV from here and now its not working, this is unacceptable".

Also, Stardock won't gain any extra customers if cracked versions just kept on working. What would be the reason for any of you to buy it then? Yes, it the time-bomb could have been done more professionaly, however, they are under no obligation to cater to the needs of software pirating. They owe you nothing.

You do not have to have a cracked version to test whether or not you want to buy it. MANY trial software versions are limited in someway. The entire point is to get you to purchase the paid version which unlocks the other features. See if "I had to steal this software first before I knew whether or not I wanted to buy it" would hold up in court. Good luck with that.

Stardock should do the same than Microsoft and Symantec. It should go back to the drawing board for its activation system or it will alienate many customers, indirectly for the most part. And now with one of its many advantages gone (accurate Vista emulation (KoL's VistaXP was too much accurate, Microsoft made it get removed, same thing will happen if another gets too accurate)), WB will gain customers much more slowly.

So, because someone KNOWINGLY installed a crack to a program, and then the program stopped working becuase of a failsafe built into the program, it's Stardock's fault for not notifying the user of the legality of the situation? Stardock is the bad guy in all of this, is that what you are saying?

Stardock can do whatever the hell it pleases to it's programs. Who are you to say how they should handle things? I gladly pay for their products, because it's worth the money to me. Now, if this happened after I paid for the product, I might have a say in the process. However, if you aren't willing to pay for the program, you have zero right to complain about how they institute program security. Coming here and stating that you'll never buy a program from them, when you never paid for it in the first place, is simply asinine.

Also, this issue didn't f*ck anyone's computer up. It made it so that you could not use the program the way it was supposed to be used, because you went out of your way to circumvent the activation portion. Guess what? When you don't activate Windows XP, and the time period is up, you don't get to use it at all. Guess Microsoft is just a big meanie for protecting their interests, hmm? You don;t activate Office XP or 2003? Again, you don't get full access to the program. When you download the trial version of Windowblinds, Stardock states up front that you don't get full access to all features, only paying customers get that. Suck it up, stop eating fast food or buying xbox games or DVDs, and spend the $20 on the program you are trying to crack. Making excuses about why you can't afford it, or why you don't believe in paying for a program just makes you look cheap.

Damn, the audacity of some people to try and get out of paying for a program just astounds me. :angry:

so let me get this straight ?? people are complaining because they're STEALING software from a company and it stops working? give me a goddamned break, get a job you bums, when you buy the product and it messes something up THEN you can gripe. the audacity of some people is amazing sometimes.

so let me get this straight ?? people are complaining because they're STEALING software from a company and it stops working? give me a goddamned break, get a job you bums, when you buy the product and it messes something up THEN you can gripe. the audacity of some people is amazing sometimes.

Thank you....I have been saying that all day but no one seems to be listening.

saying get a job is generalizing a bit, don't you think? not that i am one of these people who pirates WB, but some people can't afford pay for it, even people who work 2 jobs sometimes don't have spare change to spend on a graphics program for thier computer, come on, give me a break. whats more important, your computer graphics or your gas to get to work and back? not that i condone them complaining about such events, but, you need to stop your generalizing.

secondly, honestly, how long do you think it'll be before someone figures out a way around this? fixes the timebomb? windowblinds isn't a huge program and it probably only took them an hour to crack it in the first place. i would imagine there will be a new crack out at least by the end of the week to fix this. i'm going to go back to enjoying my uxtheme hack and glitch now, you kids enjoy your pirated software.

My gripe isn't that since people cracked it, the time bomb kills the app and disables it. If I had cracked it and something like that happened, then I would just deal with it knowing full well that I did not pay for it. However, like I said before, and no one seems to be listening... it is not the end result that aggrivates me, but rather, the way in which it was done.

Think about it, how hard would it have been to display an error message that says "This is a pirated copy of Window Blinds. Please remove it and all files related to it from your system, and if you would like to continue using it please purchase it from our website." User clicks ok, then application exits and you are left staring at luna again. End of story, no one is angry.

However, the arrogant folks at Stardock have designed the application such that instead of giving that error message, it just stops working all together, gives no warning, makes your machine REALLY slow, and you have no idea what the cause of the problem is. Maybe it's justice, but maybe it's just wrong. Actions like this give software developers a bad name. It is like "Oh, you're not paying for my application. I'm going to hose your PC."

Neil claims there is nothing wrong with the PC after that and that the program can be removed and you won't lose anything and it will be fine. This tells me that they knew that they were putting malicious code into their application with the hopes that it would cause a great headache for those that pirated their software. Unfortunately, some of those that DID purchase it also got hit with this. This seems wrong to me for 2 reasons.

1. The average n00b pirate is going to think windows is corrupt, and just reinstall and lose most of their stuff.

2. Those that did purchase the software had used it when they pirated it and decided to pay the company who makes it, who in turn said "screw you, you still pirated it once. You are guilty! Unforgiven!! BAM! STAB YOU IN THE BACK!!!!"

And when I raise these issues, I get no one to acknowledge that they are in fact issues. People seem to be claiming that it was the crack that resulted in this, but that is not the case. It is the checks designed into the software by Stardock that cause this, after the crack was applied. That IS intentional, not some unexpected accident. Neil admits it's true, and Stardock refuses to admit they did anything wrong here. Maybe you don't agree that they did anything wrong, but surely everyone must agree that this sort of thing is extremely arrogant and not good for the public image of a company.

Correct me if I'm wrong here in any of this. I WILL openly admit it when I am wrong, faced with the facts, slammed with morality, punched with justice. You name it. Stealing software is wrong on all counts, even if it is just to test it out or whatever. As a developer, I advocate open source alternatives to everything possible. Wish there was one for WB.

Edited by JiveMasterT

saying get a job is generalizing a bit, don't you think? not that i am one of these people who pirates WB, but some people can't afford pay for it, even people who work 2 jobs sometimes don't have spare change to spend on a graphics program for thier computer, come on, give me a break. whats more important, your computer graphics or your gas to get to work and back? not that i condone them complaining about such events, but, you need to stop your generalizing.

secondly, honestly, how long do you think it'll be before someone figures out a way around this? fixes the timebomb? windowblinds isn't a huge program and it probably only took them an hour to crack it in the first place. i would imagine there will be a new crack out at least by the end of the week to fix this. i'm going to go back to enjoying my uxtheme hack and glitch now, you kids enjoy your pirated software.

i need to stop my generalizing ?? people need to stop thinking everything should be handed to them .. im sure if people can truely afford internet, and their computer they can spare 15 bucks for a license. also, you're saying in a nutshell "it's ok to steal the program if they can't afford gas"

but some people can't afford pay for it, even people who work 2 jobs sometimes don't have spare change to spend on a graphics program for thier computer, come on, give me a break. whats more important, your computer graphics or your gas to get to work and back?

I mean really, if they take the time to search for the crack, crack it and then COMPLAIN about it not working right for them ... it must be pretty fscking important to them. All i'm trying to say is if you REALLY can't afford it, don't bother with it. I can't afford a brand new Aston Martin, though i'd like one, but you sure as hell don't see me going around trying to steal it.

My gripe isn't that since people cracked it, the time bomb kills the app and disables it. If I had cracked it and something like that happened, then I would just deal with it knowing full well that I did not pay for it. However, like I said before, and no one seems to be listening... it is not the end result that aggrivates me, but rather, the way in which it was done.

Think about it, how hard would it have been to display an error message that says "This is a pirated copy of Window Blinds. Please remove it and all files related to it from your system, and if you would like to continue using it please purchase it from our website." User clicks ok, then application exits and you are left staring at luna again. End of story, no one is angry.

However, the arrogant folks at Stardock have designed the application such that instead of giving that error message, it just stops working all together, gives no warning, makes your machine REALLY slow, and you have no idea what the cause of the problem is. Maybe it's justice, but maybe it's just wrong. Actions like this give software developers a bad name. It is like "Oh, you're not paying for my application. I'm going to hose your PC."

Neil claims there is nothing wrong with the PC after that and that the program can be removed and you won't lose anything and it will be fine. This tells me that they knew that they were putting malicious code into their application with the hopes that it would cause a great headache for those that pirated their software. Unfortunately, some of those that DID purchase it also got hit with this. This seems wrong to me for 2 reasons.

1. The average n00b pirate is going to think windows is corrupt, and just reinstall and lose most of their stuff.

2. Those that did purchase the software had used it when they pirated it and decided to pay the company who makes it, who in turn said "screw you, you still pirated it once. You are guilty! Unforgiven!! BAM! STAB YOU IN THE BACK!!!!"

And when I raise these issues, I get no one to acknowledge that they are in fact issues. People seem to be claiming that it was the crack that resulted in this, but that is not the case. It is the checks designed into the software by Stardock that cause this, after the crack was applied. That IS intentional, not some unexpected accident. Neil admits it's true, and Stardock refuses to admit they did anything wrong here. Maybe you don't agree that they did anything wrong, but surely everyone must agree that this sort of thing is extremely arrogant and not good for the public image of a company.

They pirated it, who cares what happens to their computer. Hopefully the person who pirates the software will have to reformat their computer. I personally think its fair game.

OMFG, how DUMB can people really be? I swear this thread alone shows about -10 intelligence. It proves half the internet is stupid and greedy. Stardock shouldn't have to have these MESSAGES saying please don't steal our software, as stealing is wrong. People should just have the DECENCY to not steal peoples hard work. If you take the risk of STEALING, then you take a risk of something bad happening to you, it's karma people ... what goes around, comes around. Life's not always fair, deal with it and quit crying.

Going on the logic of the previous few posts. If you download anything illegal, say for example a song. That gives the record label the right to wreck your computer?

Sure it's illegal, but I'm sure that everyone has downloaded/used something illegal. They have a right to block users from using their program, but they went beyond that by affecting the entire machines.

They just dealt with things the wrong way...

Going on the logic of the previous few posts. If you download anything illegal, say for example a song. That gives the record label the right to wreck your computer?

Sure it's illegal, but I'm sure that everyone has downloaded/used something illegal. They have a right to block users from using their program, but they went beyond that by affecting the entire machines.

The program itself unaltered doesn't effect the computer. Only when you use it cracked or uninstalled the cracked version for the bought version does it cause trouble. And you know what. Too damn bad. You get what you deserve by using pirated software. You all are a bunch of self-serving idiots who believe that everything digital should be free. Well I have news for you....it's not. Companies make their entire livelyhood off software coding and should be able to protect it. And if that means adding security checks like this....so be it.

You take the chance of hosing your computer when you use pirated software.....that is your choice. Stop you damn whining here when you don't get your way. It is just plain annoying and wrong.

OMFG, how DUMB can people really be? I swear this thread alone shows about -10 intelligence. It proves half the internet is stupid and greedy. Stardock shouldn't have to have these MESSAGES saying please don't steal our software, as stealing is wrong. People should just have the DECENCY to not steal peoples hard work. If you take the risk of STEALING, then you take a risk of something bad happening to you, it's karma people ... what goes around, comes around. Life's not always fair, deal with it and quit crying.

OMFG, BRBLMFAOBBQ!!!!oneeone111. You're right, this whole thing does prove how stupid and greedy people can be. This is the exact reason why I pay for my software that I use, because support is important to me. Your reply to my post makes no sense though. I never said that people should steal or not have the decency, and in fact, I say that they should not steal or pirate software. So next time you want to fly off the handle and attack someone, please make sure you're not sticking your foot in your mouth. Heh, oh, and don't call me stupid cause.... I'm rubber, you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you. And in this situation that saying could not be further from the truth.

Thank you. Whatever happened to turning the other cheek? What ever happened to good customer relations? Just because someone steals your software, it does not give you the right to mess things up for them. It is arrogant and it is wrong. Anyone who says otherwise is just a fine example of why this world has gone down the tubes in terms of basic morality. Grow up people.

No, they dealt with it the wrong way, to people who used a cracked program. Please, won't someone think of the poor warezmonekies???

As for Stardock putting "malicious code" (as JiveMasterT puts it) into their program. The malicious code is not the program, but the crack that the poor warez user installed after the fact. Again, if you can't afford the program, user the trial or don't use it at all. You have no leg to stand on when you crack a program and then said program no longer works.

I kind of liken this to the police scam where they send out mail or make phone calls to people with warrents, and tell them they might have won some big ticket item, and that they need to come down to pick it up. The greedy bastards then show up, and get arrested. They probably whine about it too, just like the warezmonkies on here.

OMFG, BRBLMFAOBBQ!!!!oneeone111. You're right, this whole thing does prove how stupid and greedy people can be. This is the exact reason why I pay for my software that I use, because support is important to me. Your reply to my post makes no sense though. I never said that people should steal or not have the decency, and in fact, I say that they should not steal or pirate software. So next time you want to fly off the handle and attack someone, please make sure you're not sticking your foot in your mouth. Heh, oh, and don't call me stupid cause.... I'm rubber, you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you. And in this situation that saying could not be further from the truth.

Thank you. Whatever happened to turning the other cheek? What ever happened to good customer relations? Just because someone steals your software, it does not give you the right to mess things up for them. It is arrogant and it is wrong. Anyone who says otherwise is just a fine example of why this world has gone down the tubes in terms of basic morality. Grow up people.

Basically you are saying that if I went to Stardock's headquarters and stole their software....they shouldn't go after me because it is arrogant and wrong? What world do you live in? This is about protecting someone's livelyhood....not about some little program you might have made using qbasic.

There is a difference between customer relations and going after software pirates. And if that means that the honest end user has to deal with product activation then so be it. Everyone moaned/complained about with XP but it works.

OOOO thats why windowblinds went all freaky today.. had to uninstall it for now

I will... not say this at your place... :whistle:

Ok, so now you're saying my post doesn't make sense?? You're saying you didn't say

??

If you did indeed say that, then my response makes PERFECT sense, read it again ...

Stardock shouldn't have to have these MESSAGES saying please don't steal our software, as stealing is wrong. People should just have the DECENCY to not steal peoples hard work. If you take the risk of STEALING, then you take a risk of something bad happening to you, it's karma people ... what goes around, comes around. Life's not always fair, deal with it and quit crying.