• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Rip DVD's to your iPod on Linux

Smitjel    0

Rip DVD's to your video iPod on Linux using Handbrake.

The Apple website has these specs for the iPod Video:

H.264 video: up to 768 kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

I've ripped a couple of episodes of Beavis and Butthead to .mp4 on a Fedora Core 3, Handbrake 0.7.0 setup. To get Handbrake to build, all I had to install was jam and nasm:

yum install jam
yum install nasm

For you Ubuntu guys, just make sure you have make, jam, gcc, dpkg-dev, and g++ installed.

Once you get Handbrake built, check out this guide on different encoding options you can use. This is what I ran to rip an episode of Beavis and Butthead to mp4 (that hopefully plays on the iPod). If somebody wants to test it on their iPod, shoot me a PM and I'll give you the download link. :)

./HBTest -i /media/cdrecorder/VIDEO_TS -o The_Great_Cornholio.mp4 -e x264 -b 600 -R 44100 -B 128 -2 -w 320 -c 10