December CTP is 5270.9 - Out in ~ 19 hours!

Why must someone always bring up bit torrent, or some other non-sanctioned DL prog ... as if it's so cool or something

Bit torent is a perfectly legal download programe, you can get some amazing things such as downloading some lovely linux distros.

will this thing go up today on MSDN as well?? or only connect??

Probably just on "Connect". It's just a midterm release anyway:

The Windows beta team is pleased to announce the availability of Windows Vista and Longhorn Server build 5270. This release is the December Customer Technology Preview (CTP). This build is not beta quality but is offered as a preview or our progress towards Beta 2. It will allow you to confirm bugs that have been fixed and begin testing features that have been added since build 5231.

I can confirm its out! Grab it now on Connect... "While Supplies last.." lol build number 5270.32chked 2136.7MB and about 2032.0MB Plain it even has the server bits...

Probably just on "Connect". It's just a midterm release anyway:

The Windows beta team is pleased to announce the availability of Windows Vista and Longhorn Server build 5270. This release is the December Customer Technology Preview (CTP). This build is not beta quality but is offered as a preview or our progress towards Beta 2. It will allow you to confirm bugs that have been fixed and begin testing features that have been added since build 5231.

as far as I know... MSDN will get it eventually. we got 5231 and 5219. just wondering if we will get it today or at some later date.

Bit torent is a perfectly legal download programe, you can get some amazing things such as downloading some lovely linux distros.

Ahem, that was "non-sanctioned" as in Microsoft says that beta testers cannot distribute Vista. The fact that you can download a linux distro legally over BT has nothing to do with it.

From the Vista build 5270 DL page on Connect: "Reminder: You may not distribute any downloads."

Its on Connect now.

Just Received The email.

Greetings Windows Beta Testers!

Please obtain a new product key for build 5270 from the Microsoft Connect website (http://connect.microsoft.com) and download this release as soon as possible. No media will be sent; this release is available as a download only. You will need a new version of the Microsoft Beta Client to report issues.

Release notes are available which call attention to some of the issues we are already aware of. Please take a moment to read them then join us in the newsgroups to discuss your experience with Windows Vista.

Important notes:

Please use the link above to obtain a new product key

This build must be clean installed. Upgrades are not supported but will be enabled in later builds.

Download images are DVD only. No CD images will be made available for this build.

Both Vista and Longhorn Server are available in the same image you only need a separate image if you wish to test Longhorn Server Core.

The initial release is English only, German and Japanese are planned to follow within 2 weeks

The following are available with this release:

Windows Vista (x86 and x64)

Windows Longhorn Server (x86 and x64)

Windows Longhorn Server Core (x86 and x64)

Windows Platform SDK (Available Shortly)

Windows Driver Development Kit

We look forward to your feedback on this new build!

The Windows Beta Team

If you do not wish to receive e-mail messages from Microsoft Connect in the future, please send e-mail to mchelp@microsoft.com with the subject line: "Remove From List." Information on how to contact Microsoft Connect support is found on the Contact Us page within the Microsoft Connect Web site.This is an unmonitored e-mail address, so please do not reply to this message.

so i havent checked old documentation, and new docs arent up yet....

whats the difference between the 'Check' build for developers and the normal build?

so i havent checked old documentation, and new docs arent up yet....

whats the difference between the 'Check' build for developers and the normal build?

checked builds are slower because they contain debugging code for developers to work with

Heh, I'm already done downloading it, I just don't have a DVD burner with me right now to burn it so I can't use it.

afaik, you can mount the ISO with DaemonTools and install it from Windows itself (for dual booting) :)