FAQ / Common Problems & Solutions

i'm currently downloading the may update and april full for windows2000 and windows xp sp2. after i finish it, can i just slipstream it to my installation cd so i can have an updated windows cd?

no. you might be able to use the updates included along with a copy of nlite to do it however.

I am having a problem running Autopatcher on Xp Home SP2, I have Dec 05 Full release plus all updates including May. I have tried running the Dec 05 Full release on its own, but still the same problem. The problem below is happening. Could someone be a little more specific as to what I can do to fix it?

Common Problems and Solutions:

4) Installation wizzes by in about 10 seconds but nothing installs

Likely cause - you have non-alphanumeric characters in your Windows username!

PS: I have run the above releases on computers with XP Pro SP2 with no problems!

TIA, Cheers, Dave. :)

@davo572, if your windows username contains characters other than just letters and numbers, you need to change it.

to do so: start > click on your user name > home > click on your account > change my name

note, there are sometimes other causes, if that doesnt solve it, read the rest of the thread and search the forum, im sure youll find the cure

@davo572, if your windows username contains characters other than just letters and numbers, you need to change it.

to do so: start > click on your user name > home > click on your account > change my name

note, there are sometimes other causes, if that doesnt solve it, read the rest of the thread and search the forum, im sure youll find the cure

Thanks theblazingangel!!! I did try to change my "windows username" to MIKE 123 and it didn't work! I will have a search in the forum.

Cheers, Dave. :D

Autopatcher worked fine one one of my PCs, but on my other windows XP setup I had problem 8 in the FAQ. "No text is displayed when autopatcher opens." Knowing I had the correct files and language etc I clicked through the first screen and I got the runtime error 429, so I ran the setup files described in the faq. It worked fine, I'm running XP Pro SP2. Just thought I'd let you know in case someone comes across a similar problem.

Thanks theblazingangel!!! I did try to change my "windows username" to MIKE 123 and it didn't work! I will have a search in the forum.

Cheers, Dave. :D

Dave,

I'm having exactly the same problem and i changed my user name to something really simple. I have a fresh install of winXP SP2!!!

Autopatcher ppl - I've searched the forums and can't find any other information about this problem. Please HELP!!!

Luke

Someone found out that simply changing your name won't solve the problem, try creating a new user and running autopatcher under that username instead.

Someone found out that simply changing your name won't solve the problem, try creating a new user and running autopatcher under that username instead.

thanks, that worked fine.

I hope you can all find it in your hearts to handle this total newbie question....

I am looking for KB892050. I've run April 06 (full) May (update) June (update). Lots of great stuff there, you guys have put a ton of time into this. But for whatever reason I don't have 892050 (usb problems) installed? Any help here? I saw that it was listed as being included but it has not made to my end.

Thanks

@superjoe96, the only reference to kb892050 is a post in the hotfix thread from 3rd august 2005.

i havent found it mentioned in any of the changelogs i have (which start sept 2005), so i dont believe its been included. the update itself is a non public hotfix (i.e. you need to specially contact microsoft to get it) so therefore its not going to be included.

greetings good pals.

its there any future release of AutoPatcher in Spanish? I mean for the spanish Windows Xp operating system.

thanks for the help

:)

Hi Guys & Gals,

I have Win XP Pro with SP2 English.

I have downloaded Autopatcher full April 2006, (I installed it to the 3rd partition on my 2nd hard drive).

It is NOT a system partition!

The program ran from this location and I had it install all critical updates, etc.

When I downloaded and tried to run the May Update I get an error that it can not find a full installation!

1.) What do I need to do to get the May & June updates to work?

2.) Do the updates actually modify the Full installation files so that they can be copied over to a CD?

Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Cin

• 2 weeks later...

@cutie_pyie, update releases should be installed on top of full/lite releases.

I am sorry for being confused, but I do not understand what you mean that updates shud be installed "on top" of full/lite releases. :huh:

Please see my first post for what I have done with the April full release (English) and explain to me how to install "on top of".

Thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,

Cin :unsure:

update releases should be installed to the same folder you installed the full/lite release. update releases modify the full/lite files.

@Blaze

do you want to update link in FAQ to working solution?

General Usage ... Q: Can i use AutoPatcher from a network share?

A: With a mapped share yes! With a UNC path, no, but someone is working on a utility to solve that, see "here".

I'd recommend the "here" link to point to the work around that rtk created

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...422251&hl=pushd

:cry: I have read the entire FAQ thread and my question is not anywhere. I installed the April full edition for XP. All seemed to install properly and then when I rebooted I get the Win Xp screen but then just a black screen. No welcome, no sound, no nothing. When I put in my install disk and choose repair (have no clue what I am doing there.) I can see all of the files, but it will not load.

In little baby language, how do I solve this issue. I am a builder, not a code person.

^gaidion69

I recommend posting a new topic on the main page and not in the FAQ

Seems somehting gottcha... choices I can think of would be to:

1. Try to get to safe mode and doa system restore

2. Clean/Full reload of windows, especially since a repair did not work

Hi there,

I am new to Autopatcher, used it and like it a lot. However, after installation on my PC there was no help available for how to use Autopatcher the correct way, are there configuration-options, commandline, use of the 3 added separate tools (Hotfix Cleaner, Module Editor, Tweak Undo), what's are those files in the directory Program Files\AutoPatcher, can I safely delete them, can I undo Autopatcher changes, why are certain Microsoft-updates not default selected in Autopatcher (as a bad example, KB905474, Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications tool, for who want's this microsoft spy), what about this Full, Update and QMUP (Quick Monthly Update Packs) packs (in one small, not to be misunderstood story), how do I use the hash-codes to test if the packs are not corrupted, what is the correct timeline for Autopatcher (XP-installation, SP2 installation, AutoPatcher_XP_Apr2006_Full.exe, AutoPatcher_XP_May06_ENU_Update.exe, AutoPatcher_XP_Jun06_ENU_Update.exe), what about Bittorent-clients you can recommend to download the packs (I use BitComet which I can recomment), how to make a Full and following Update-pack compilation and maybe burn it on a CD for use on other to be updated windowspartitions or PC's, ea.

In short, why isn't there a helpfile included in the Autopatcher program, to be found on www.autopatcher.com or on the neowin forums. I read all the postings on the Official forum for AutoPatcher and yes, I got most of my questions answered but wouldn't it be much easier to have one central guide with most of these questions answered, especialy for newbies like me. Some of my questions (especialy those about how to use the packs) are asked repeatedly on this forum, it would save the good souls who answer them a lot of time, for instance to make Autopatcher even more better than it now is. Don't get me wrong, I like Autopatcher a lot.

P.S. Can someone tell me how to use the included tools Hotfix Cleaner, Module Editor, Tweak Undo?

best regards :)

• 2 weeks later...

"no help" - I know how you feel.... serch the forum... I did A LOT of reading when I joined in... it's all there, just really spread around. In short to get answers to all your queestions, your going to need to do your homework.

"Hotfix Cleaner" - not sure | Module Editor - create your own mods | Tweak Undo - uninstall a tweak

• 2 weeks later...