web designer vs. web developer

Question

i think a web designer concertrates on the design and looks of a site while a develper likes to use the next bit of fancy code to make the website tick. thats wot i think

Web Designer - A job that anyone can pick up fairly quicky and easily.

Web Developer - A job that requires aptitude in math/logic and years of training.

Cant agree with that last one.... designing takes skill... people dont realize that. In order to make something look good you have to make it look right as well... one can get a copy of photoshop press a few buttons and call themselves a designer but they'd be full of sh*t. Designing takes time. You have to learn how things flow together. For example colors and spacing. Its just as hard as any job.

I also disagree with John Doe. I'm not good at designing pages... like choosing colors and making images, but I can program some cool stuff with PHP and HTML. It didn't take "years of training" to learn that. I'm sure it does for some more advanced stuff though.

I'm not saying that designing web pages isn't time consuming, just it is in no way as mentally taxing as programming.

For example, during the internet boom, people from all different industries changed careers and became web designers. Not that many switched over into programming.

BTW WDZ, HTML isn't programming.

Well in my opionion, designing a site is harder than actually doing the php/asp/jsp/ whatever coding (developing)... Code visitors don't see, plus this day and age everything depends on looks...

On a large scale the developer has the much harder job. Generally the front end isn't to hard to come up with, but making it function, and then work over a large group of people in the right way can be very difficult. But that's more a Business type application of designer/developer, for smaller stuff, the job is probably about equal, possibly even more on the designers hands, since small web sites have to have some hook to bring in people that well known ones don't need (look at Yahoo! for example...plain as can be).

both are on the same level of importance in creating a website... ur site can be totally fancy with code and it can do everything but the look is just nasty....and vice versa...they are on the same level these days.

ill probably become a gfx/web designer or sumptin like that in college...its what i like to do ;)

both sides are hard, both sides suck ass on their own. they have to work together to make a useful site. all the code or all the graffics in the world does not make up for not having the other

Originally posted by twist

both sides are hard, both sides suck ass on their own. they have to work together to make a useful site. all the code or all the graffics in the world does not make up for not having the other

This is exactly right.

Originally posted by Lomex

Now my question is, which to put on a resume.. Web Designer/Developer or what?

The two titles are completely different! One makes everything work and the other makes it look nice. Obviously if you are capable of database programming then you would put Developer, otherwise you would put Designer.

Web Designers/Script Kiddies are a dime a dozen. If you want to set yourself apart from everybody else I would suggest learning how to program. You will be in much higher demand and make more money.

designers are a dime a dozen.

like A+ for the internet. everyone is a designer cause they can open up photoshop make some crappy buttons and throw em into dreamweaver.

i'd say maybe 15% of the so called designers are even any good. alot of developers are the same way. know a little html fro some crap ass class and they get the label. its pretty stupid.

Well.. My current job position is a Web Designer, yet I do both, design and develop, also some multimedia with it (movies). That's why I'm asking so they change the name of my position.

Well.. My current job position is a Web Designer, yet I do both, design and develop, also some multimedia with it (movies). That's why I'm asking so they change the name of my position.

So you know how to design a database and write stored procedures? The title of Web Developer is a lot more prestigious than Web Designer. Plus it implies a lot more money since it is harder and not that many people know how to program.

I agree with the last comment, in either job only about 15% are any good.

Yes I can develop databases, create stored procedures etc.. Which databases you ask? SQL mostly. I finished computer systems so that's what I learned. Coding: ASP, JSP, some PHP.

So I would be considered a developer...

Yes I can develop databases, create stored procedures etc.. Which databases you ask? SQL mostly. I finished computer systems so that's what I learned. Coding: ASP, JSP, some PHP.

So I would be considered a developer...

simply put, yes.

it just depends on what you want to focus on.

hell, if you want to do both, use a slash in the title (Web Developer/Designer) and you'll be fine :D

I don't know if you should put both down. If you put "Web Developer" people won't take you seriously. And don't put ASP, JSP, PHP, etc. either. Those are scripting languages and not real programming languages.

I don't know. Maybe those languages are what people mean by Web Developer. I personally take the title to mean fluency in C++, Java, COM+, and SQL.