Photography Career Question

Hey fellow Neowinians!

I have some questions about photography as a career:

(These questions are more keyed toward proffesional photographers)

1. Roughly, what is the average pay for photographers in this industry (in the UK)?

2. Obviously with all jobs they aren't solid (in the sense they will always be there, as you could be sacked). How solid a job is photography? Is it touch and go that you'll be getting a steady income from it, or is it a pretty level income?

Thanks, and also, sorry if this is the wrong forum, please accept my appologies if it is!

Id have to guess on what kind of pictures you were taking. If its sports for a magazine, you have to get a lot more and better quality shots then lets say free lancing for a local paper. Weddings are a wonderfull thing, but you have to have a series of lenses in order to get the perfect shot depending on the lighting and how far away everyone is.

Some jobs will pay a salary, others based on a per-picture basis. Depends what you want to do.

Also, investing in a good DSLR (if the company doesnt provide you) and lenses is a must. Sure I might go out and buy a $200 telephoto lens and it might be great for what I do, but when your gettting paied big money for it you want and need the best, sharpest pic out there

what is the average pay for photographers in this industry (in the UK)?

Depends entirely on what you are shooting. Those at the top of their photography fields, whether it be landscape, portrait, weddings, sports etc. usually do quite well for themselves and there are always those who can almost name their price.

As for steadiness: Depends on your determination. If you have a strong portfolio and decent contacts you can probably expect a steady flow of work.