Home Theatre Choice..

So my mom wants to get a home theatre system for <$1000. Because of the difficulty of our house, we've decided to only get a 2.1 system. She's set on Bose but just wondering if you guys have any last minute recommendations. It's gonna be hooked up to our new 40" Sony LCD.

Let me know what you suggest!

A quality receiver with two good bookshelf or floorstanding speakers. Stay away from Bose...

Stay away from bose? I hope you mean purely price-wise, because bose makes some of the best sound equipment around.

If you're looking at 2.1, I'd say go with Bose. I don't usually recommend them, but the offerings from companies such as Sony and Denon suck. The Sony has the usual "sounds like you're in a tunnel" sony sound and the Denons have **** poor mids and lows.

I would also recommend getting seperate components as well if you are only going for a 2.1 setup. You can get a good Merantz stereo receiver from Accessories4less.com. They have great low prices on refurbished Marantz equipment, which is suposed to be a very good brand, with an included warranty. You get this warranty because accessories4less is certified by Marantz to sell their refurbished products. They also have very good prices on speakers and various other things.

Here is the receiver, Click Here.

As for speakers, you can get some JBL floorstanding or bookshelf speakers.

I don't own any of this equipment, so I can't tell you how good any of it is first hand. I am just going by what people have told me and what I have read. I do know that Marantz, and JBL are very good companies though. Remember to make you decision by listening to the products in the stores. I'm sure someone who has experience with these products can better help you. I presonally wouldn't go with Bose though, especially if you are willing to spend around $1000. Get yourself some quality speakers, a receiver, and a DVD/CD player and you are good to go.

Ya I'm definitely thinking of buying them seperate... I'm going to Tweeter right now to check out some floor standings/bookshelfs... I'm going to worry about the receiver last...

Quick questions... if I get some nice floor standings, will I need to get a sub as well? Or is this usually the case for bookshelves?

I'm getting a Sony because Our TV and DVD are Sony so it will make compatibility between the 4 a lot easier (one sony remote for all) So that's why I'm not really worry about it. Probably an STR-DE897 or something like it.

Well we didn't buy it yet... so still hearing advice.

I wanna buy 2 tweeters, a sub, and a Sony Amp for 1kish... 300 for the amp, which I picked out...

So $700 on two tweeters and a sub... Suggestions?

no highs, no lows....bose... Trust me, its crap when it comes down to it. Those who say it is wonderful just havn't compared it to other quality sound equip that is cheaper and sounds better.

no highs, no lows....bose... Trust me, its crap when it comes down to it. Those who say it is wonderful just havn't compared it to other quality sound equip that is cheaper and sounds better.

I have listened to tons of speakers. While I'm not thrilled about them, systems like the Bose 3-2-1 and Lifestyle 38 (or acoustimass 10 series II) do sound very good. People bitch because it's Bose. If you listened to it blindly, I guarantee you it would be a different story.

Ya the 321 is really iffy to me... Like I can't really tell of the quality... but I'm trying to trust the opinions of others who have had time to listen and compare all of the models..

So I ask again.. if not Bose, what 2 tweeters + sub combo should I get??

And another question, can you buy just the tweeters (I know the majority of them are bookshelf with tweeter plus small ****ty sub). Shouldn't I be searching for a speaker setup with two sole tweeters plus sub, or will two booksehlves with both tweeter and sub, + the additional sub?

I would also recommend looking at Athena speakers. The AS-F2.2 should fit your needs. As for a subwoofer. It really depens if you want more oumgh. Floorstanding speakers usually hit lower noted because they have larger drivers.

Ah, HT setups.

You have quite a few options especially in the 1000 or less ballpark range.

I?m guessing that since your mom wants a HT your main goal is for movies. How much sound does she crave? Is it a system big enough to get by or something very impressive?

How big of a system is she wanting for 2.1?

Not to stir the mud, but if your looking for something that will please you for years to come, please stay away from Bose and Sony. Sony is not an audio company; they produce the PS2 and very nice TV?s. For movies or audio any Sony HTIB will may leave your craving for more.

As for Bose it is most definitely not a touchy subject. The true Bose debate can be summed of by one word: Compromise. Bose by far does not produce the best audio equipment around whatsoever. What they are great at however is Marketing. No matter where you turn there are ads for Bose on air or in print proclaiming the greatness of the product. Tack on a high price and walla, the consumer then has the allusion that the item must be good and anything else out there is inferior since previous knowledge of audio is non existent. Bose wins hands down in Marketing, period!

In many discussions with A/V dealers they will flat out admit that Bose is a horribly priced item which you do not get what you pay for. Are Bose speakers bad? No, not at all. However are they worth the price being asked? Absolutely not. Bose sells well due to WAF or Wife Acceptance Factor. Most wives do not want their house "cluttered" by towers, amps, and cords all over the place. Bose is small cubes, and an easy setup and use interface. Bose wins again!

However when it comes to performance, dynamics and soundstage in then end you will want something else that can offer you more.

If you want something small, you can go bookshelf or "cube" style speakers. Choose a setup that will work for you.

Suggestions:

Orb Audio This is a product I highly suggest you look into if you want something small for half the cost of Bose.

Omnipolar

They create small ?orb? speakers with great dynamic ranges for its size.

Klipsch Known for there horn loaded speakers which equal louder and larger sound stages then non horn loaded speakers.

Other brands to look for are Paradigm, Infinity, Definitive, and Ill post more as I rememb;) them ;)

Any of those aforementioned brands will allow you to purchase either:

a. 2 speakers and a sub

b. 5.1

Either option will allow you retain funds to purchase a good receiver with enough wattage and features to quite possibly please your mom.

GK

I'm planning on going to buy these speakers today as my mom is going away for the weekend and it will be a whole lot easier to do it myself.

I want this system before New Years, as I'll be throwing a party... I know Best Buy has Athena, Definitive, and Klipsch... are these viable choices if I go and get this system today? And should I just get a subwoofer to match whatever speakers I buy?

Thank you all for your help so far.

And right now looking at the most expensive speakers at best buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1091101346254

with a $300 Sony amp... *should be fine.

and that leaves $300 for a sub...

Does that seem fine for a setup?

Here's my choices before going to the store:

Sony 700W 7.1 Channel STR-DE898 $380

Klipsch Synergy III S-2 $384

Klipsch 10" 420W SUB-10 $384

should I go buy it? (already at door)

Edited by zackiv31