Home Theatre Choice..

You will have a very strong music and HT system right there. The Klipsch speakers will get loud without distortion and can play quiet without hiding parts of your music or movies.

I personally am not familiar with Sony receivers. I would stay from them and look to either Yamaha, Denon or Pioneer as Sony is notorius for not rating thier receivers conservativley. Sony and Kenwood are horrible culprits for this. If you can put up a hundred more dollars for a receiver, I suggest you look at the Pioneer VSX-1015TX. For about 500 your getting automatic room calibration, 840 conservativley rated watts and multiple listening modes.

GK

He seems set on Sony because of the convenience of the remotes. I, too, would rather go with the Pioneer 815 model. The Yamaha's, this year, are having over heating issues and I've stopped recommending them.

The Klipsch SUB-10 is a VERY good sub. Such a crisp bass sound.

Ya... I know I'm biased towards the receiver as I own the same one at school... Just a convenience thing, and it will match perfectly with all our other Sony electronics... But thanks a lot for all your help as I'm going to the store now to buy them all!

I'll let you all know how it sounds!

Bought it exactly as I configured.. My quick thoughts:

The 10" Sub.... WOW... wayyy too much. I might just have to buy this one and get my mom a smaller sub, she doesn't need it all.

The speakers are alright and fit in well. Can't really tell much about them but I think they're limited by my Sony Receiver.

All in all amazing sound in my room and a great 2.1 System... Ended up costing me $1400 with cables... eek.

The Klipschs are strong though you can contain them with the controls on the back.

The receiver is definitely holding the speakers back. That, and they do need time to be burned in. I believe about 100 hours is expected before you get the best sound from them.

Well the Klipsch I got don't have any controls on the back and are the ones I listed above... But they peak at 100 Watts... I should just hook them up to the A outputs on my receiver right? It has Front A and B. I mean they sound good, don't get me wrong

Well the Klipsch I got don't have any controls on the back and are the ones I listed above... But they peak at 100 Watts... I should just hook them up to the A outputs on my receiver right? It has Front A and B. I mean they sound good, don't get me wrong

I mean on the sub lol. You can control it's power.

The speakers are going to take time and you're either going to love them or hate them. That's always the case with Klispch since they use horns and some people are picky about that. Just make sure you burn them in before judging them completely. Hooking them up to front a is fine.

Watching DVD right now and sound a lot better... listening to one up close didn't impress me but working together with the sub on a DVD is pretty amazing.. well worth the $1400. (now I just gotta convince the mom of the $400 extra... oops)

That's always the case with Klispch since they use horns and some people are picky about that. Just make sure you burn them in before judging them completely. Hooking them up to front a is fine.

It isnt the speaker itself that needs burn in time but your amp. Leave it on over night playing music or a movie to allows the amp to warm up especially if its a new.

Enjoy the goods.

GK

It isnt the speaker itself that needs burn in time but your amp. Leave it on over night playing music or a movie to allows the amp to warm up especially if its a new.

Enjoy the goods.

GK

No, it's the speaker.

Correction, no component in a sound or audio system needs a burn in time.

The correct term would be warm up. Speakers do require time to allow the motor that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy to warm up. However this is nothing in in comparison that amps require, especially high end amps.

GK

Correction, no component in a sound or audio system needs a burn in time.

The correct term would be warm up. Speakers do require time to allow the motor that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy to warm up. However this is nothing in in comparison that amps require, especially high end amps.

GK

A decent pair of speakers require at least 100 hours of use before reaching their designed sound stage. That's on decent speakers. Good ones require even more useage. He's going to notice a difference in sound when the speakers get broken in.

So I got one issue... the sub is too much... I'm going to return it and get something with less bump.. Klipsch doesn't make a Synergy 8" :(

Any suggestions (Klipsh preferred as I love this sub)

So I got one issue... the sub is too much... I'm going to return it and get something with less bump.. Klipsch doesn't make a Synergy 8" :(

Any suggestions (Klipsh preferred as I love this sub)

You turned down the gain and low pass on the back and tweaked the tone controls on the receiver? The sub is VERY easy to subdue.

A decent pair of speakers require at least 100 hours of use before reaching their designed sound stage. That's on decent speakers. Good ones require even more useage. He's going to notice a difference in sound when the speakers get broken in.

This would be the amp that requires 100 hours or so, not speakers. High end amp such as Parasound Halo, Krell, Carver etc would require upwards to 100 hours for a warm up period to appreciate the absolute soundstage they are capable of.

The only speakers that I could see that would require a "100 hours of use" would be ribbon speakers (which IMO are completely unreliable unless there application is purely for music and never for HT) or B&W grade speakers on up which tend to be inefficient speakers. Ribboned speakers and B&W are expensive Hi-Fi gear which in this case would not apply as he is operating Lo-Fi equipment.

Gk

This would be the amp that requires 100 hours or so, not speakers. High end amp such as Parasound Halo, Krell, Carver etc would require upwards to 100 hours for a warm up period to appreciate the absolute soundstage they are capable of.

The only speakers that I could see that would require a "100 hours of use" would be ribbon speakers (which IMO are completely unreliable unless there application is purely for music and never for HT) or B&W grade speakers on up which tend to be inefficient speakers. Ribboned speakers and B&W are expensive Hi-Fi gear which in this case would not apply as he is operating Lo-Fi equipment.

Gk

Dude, burning in/warming up refers to any and all speakers, hell, even headphones.

For the record:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/127865.html

With even simple home theater systems now needing universal remotes [Hack #84] and calibration to perform well, a lot of well-meaning folks have passed around some home theater myths, or at best, misunderstandings. One of these is that you need to burn-in your equipment. Burn-in is a term used to refer to running your gear for some arbitrary length of time, usually several hours, to help it perform properly. You'll most commonly hear about burnin when talking about speakers, which often can benefit from this sort of treatment.

his speakers are considered low fi?

and did you have to buy from best buy?

Why shouldn't he buy from them? If he doesn't ge tthe sub set up like he wants, he has a full month to return it. Not many places allow that, especially in the home theater world where they fear peopel "renting" items.

Dude, burning in/warming up refers to any and all speakers, hell, even headphones.

For the record:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/127865.html

By that article now you should realize that burn in is a wrong term.

Reading it a bit more yes, it does talk about myths in the HT world which you quoted.

According to that review he believes it can help, "can" being completely arbitrary and not definitive.

As stated, yes speakers do require time to allow the motor that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy to warm up. I cannot deny it; its physics.

You still don?t acknowledge amps which do require a warm up time. You cannot deny this. It may not be as evident with receivers as in running separates. Grant it the electrical bill will be phenomenal but the quality of sound you will achieve from a well matched speaker system to a amp/pre amp combo will be spectacular.

Speaker warm up is not going to be that great of an impact and it wont be that evident, especially for his mom who sent him shopping for it anyways as most women don?t care much about HT as it is.

his speakers are considered low fi?

and did you have to buy from best buy?

Without a doubt they are Lo-Fi. Best Buy does not sell Hi-Fi equipment. They are in the Mid-Fi market with the buy out of Magnolia stores which can be compared to Tweeters, the old Good Guy stores and Ultimate Electronics. And as BB said, they offer great flexibility and financing options most high end stores will never offer unless you have credit good as gold.

GK

And you're still using the wrong terminology. Warm up means exactly that, the process by which you power on a device and it reaches full capacity. Seakers can be burned in and it's widely accepted by everyone from consumer to manufacturer that burn in is a neccessity. Don't tell me there won't be any difference. I work with speakers, I own speakers. I've gone through the process a dozen times over. You'll be surprised how different speakers sound after a good amount of use. The bass loosens up, tweeters reach those higher frequencies and the overall sound stage is much wider than when first taken out of the box.

Yes, you have to warm up your components meaning you turn them on and within 5 minutes, they will be at full quality. Burn in (or break in), however, only applies to speakers and DOES make a difference. Why? Because the outer material on the speaker, the piece that flexes thus giving you the sound, often comes out of the factory very tightly fit. The process of burning it in flexes the material, loosening it and thus increasing it's sensitivity and the ranges it can reach.

The "burn in" process on components is more similar to that of burning in a PC. You use it excessively out of the box to test for system failure, not to make it sound better.

I'm done debating this with you. I know I'm right and you're not going to admit it.

ya I have the sub turned down and it sounds great... just my concern is the size of it. I'm assuming I can buy a sub (8" or so) that takes up considerably less space and can give me the same sound as the Klipsch 10" I bought set to low settings. The only reason I would make the switch, just for sheer size trade.

ya I have the sub turned down and it sounds great... just my concern is the size of it. I'm assuming I can buy a sub (8" or so) that takes up considerably less space and can give me the same sound as the Klipsch 10" I bought set to low settings. The only reason I would make the switch, just for sheer size trade.

You found the sub 10 to be too big? Ouch. Um, there's a Yamaha 8" and a Athena sub out there. I don't recall their model numbers currently.

I saw the Yamaha in the stores.. 120 Watts... dunno if thats gonna be too small but I guess I'll go check it out. And the Athena Subs only go to 10" as far as I can see. Oh well, maybe she'll like the system.. she gets home tomorrow so we'll see then.

I saw the Yamaha in the stores.. 120 Watts... dunno if thats gonna be too small but I guess I'll go check it out. And the Athena Subs only go to 10" as far as I can see. Oh well, maybe she'll like the system.. she gets home tomorrow so we'll see then.

The Athena 10" is compact, though.

I think she's going to keep it... and I'll be going this week to purchase myself the 12" :-D

Thanks to everyone for all your help... Now to pick out some speakers for myself!

Just let her know it will tone down a bit after a few weeks of use, but I think it's a wise choice to keep it. I was my mom was that cool lol.