iPod Video Vs Creative Zen Vision:M

I just read a review on the Creative Zen Vision:M

http://www.everythingusb.com/creative_zen_vision:m_30gb.html

It doesnt exactly go head to head with the iPod, but when it talks about the display, video quality etc it does, and my god it makes the iPod Video look bad compared to it.

Its definitely made me more confident in buying the Creative.

Good review. I don't think I'll be getting either quite yet though, if I buy something to watch video on I'd rather the screensize be a little bigger. Good list of format support with the Zen all the same.

the vision:M has alright features and for once creative is easier 2 use than iPod because u can just stick almost any video through windows media encoder and put it on low quality - but aesthetically its a disaster. it looks (at least in pictures) like the thickness of the huge 20gb touch which is rubbish compared to the iPod videos even more streamlined than previous, thin design.

For me its all about the quality and not the looks of a player, since i think it would be stupid to go by looks, but then again, thats why the iPod is the no1 mp3 player out

"Oddly, the LCD lost half of its clarity when viewing straight at 45-degree angles." - I didn't like this one bit. I read another review with pictures of the iPod and Creative at an angle and the iPod looked a great deal better when a slight angle. Often I sit at my desk with the iPod laying flat on the desk when I don't have a dock.

The major reason why I chose iPod video is because of the integration with iTunes and how sweet the two interface.

If we look past the colour/video side of things, the audio once again wins it for me. Creative have been number 1 at producing MP3 players with fantastic audio quality. Also having a built in mic and a radio all in an MP3 player is great

Edited by saxondale.

the size of thte ipod definitely wins over the vision:M. but with regards to features, i'd have to go with creative. ability to throw almost any video file on the player without having to use quicktime pro to spend time converting it first. the tv-out makes a lot more sense on the creative since the video files will be original size instead of the smaller resolution the ipod uses. too bad the vision:M is nearly twice as thick as the ipod

The Creative Zen Vision: m rocks end of story. I just picked one up at best buy last night! I plugged it in, took 4 of my divx movies and dragged em directly to my player via wmp 11 on vista. There was no coversion of video at all, and the video's look amazing. I got my friend over with his ipod 5g and his video compared to mine looks liks crap. The menu is amazing, for the first time i gotta give it to creative, there menu just works! Also there new touch pad compared to the zen touch, sleek, and micro, the zen vision: m is just 100 times easier to use, its bigger, has better sensitivity (meaning if i drag my thumb on it, it responds like it should), and the 4 way system on it rocks, if i tap the bottom its rapid scroll up or down. If i tap left or right it takes me to different parts of the menus easy and quick. If you tap once in the middle, it will bring up a menu. The shortcut is really amazing, I have it set to go to my fm station once im out of now playing, it just instantly goes there. Also the fm radio compared to a lot of the other players has better reception. The size of this player is 4th gen size, so you people that complain about the vision: m, why didn't you complain about the 4th gen ipod when it was hip? My friends got the 60g 5th gen ipod and its not all that much bigger than that thing.

Downfall on the creative is, while it has a fm tuner, kinda wish they would integrate a transmitter into it. That would enable me to just broadcast my music playback over fm.

Well, I'm an iPod fan, lol. Not a blind Fanboy, but a fan non the less. The Vision has nice specs and nice extras which is something I do like about Creative's, but I much prefer the design of the iPod. Again, the specs do not concern me as much as the interface and usability. I like the click wheel, I like the GUI and I like the form factor. I'm not an audiophile or well not one that has been able to tell the difference between an iPod and a Creative player's sound quality. When my U2 dies out on me, I will most likely get another iPod. I've not had any problems what so ever with mine, Apple support has been spectacular and I have no reason to switch over. The iPod fits my bill, lol.

This review was good though, I did enjoy reading it, made a lot of very good points. But in the end like I tell everyone that asks me what to get, I always say that they should go try out the different options on their own. In the end that is the best indicator as to what you will like. Also, I use a Mac so the Creative player wouldn't work with it according to this review.

I would've considered the M if it had come out before x-mas, that and not having to deal with WMP 10. Most everyhing else about just looks like a souped up copy of an ipod video, plus an FM tuner and mic, which I have no use for. The included AC adapter is something Apple should've done, but there are 3rd party alternatives to spending $30 on Apple's, mine was $15.

I would like to see a direct sound comparison of the video ipod and M; same mp3, same headphones, same relative power output - SNR doesn't mean much without stating a given power output along with it. The video ipod's SNR I have no idea what it is, but the Shuffle got some of the best marks in sound quality, I wonder if the video is similar.

I had a 60GB iPod Video and promptly returned it when I saw this coming out. I already have my preorder in, I can't wait...no more hassle with converting my divx and xvid videos :yes: :woot:

The Creative Zen Vision: m rocks end of story. I just picked one up at best buy last night!

Where are you that they already have them? They aren't even being sold to the US through the Creative website :huh: :cry:

Looks like a great player. What an awesome screen. But this part just ended it for me :(

creativevisionsize.jpg

:( Just wish the Video iPod had a bigger battery. While playing videos the battery drains at an incredible rate as opposed to just listening to music. :(

Being small is not it is all cut out to be.

i did hear once that the k750i's sound quality can surpass the ipod nano's sound a quality... well, heard it from somewhere. not sure though.

back to topic. well, i guess people still pick the ipod video because...

1. popularity

2. looks cool

3. thin

i got no offence to that. okay, it's pretty obvious that M is twice as fat as the video. But that, i gotta admit that i'd buy an M over and iPod because of its features. perhaps people are contented with having an ipod that has less features than a creative is because they're willing to adapt to the weakness(or rather less features of the ipod) of the ipod than with the width of the creative M.

thats just my vote.

edit: a zen m review for you folks. http://www.everythingusb.com/creative_zen_vision:m_30gb.html

I had a 60GB iPod Video and promptly returned it when I saw this coming out. I already have my preorder in, I can't wait...no more hassle with converting my divx and xvid videos :yes: :woot:

Where are you that they already have them? They aren't even being sold to the US through the Creative website :huh: :cry:

I'm in portland, oregon area, but also frys electronics is getting there first store shipments in the 29th (tomorrow) :D

Also to add here there's 2 locations in portland that has them in stock, just not advertised yet.. I go up to the guy in charge of the mp3, pdas, cellphones, etc and im like so do you guys got the zen vision m in. He responded by saying no sir I dont, then standing behind me the creative rep. The creative rep was like they do have them in stock, and the clerk and him got into it. So in the mean time the creative dude pulled his zen vision m out to let me check it out. Then about 10minutes later I walked out with my brand new black vision: m.

outpost.com link or frys hehe ---> http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4708139?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Edited by DeadOnArrival

Here is the link to Zen Vision M Reviews:

Register-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/12/08/pr...w_zen_vision-m/

Mp3Gen(Translated French)-

http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.2707

Clubic.com(Translated French) Head on IPOD v. Zen Vision-

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=...n-vision-m.html

impress.com(Translated to English,Japan)-

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

Cnet Asia(English)-

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/portable_av/0...9097200p,00.htm

Some Battery life tests:

Battery.jpg

On MP3

870 min= 14 1/2 hours for the Zen

780 min= 13 hours for the ipod

the Shuffle got some of the best marks in sound quality, I wonder if the video is similar.

The shuffle isn't the same chip internally as the video iPod, however comparing my 4th Gen to 5th Gen, there has been a major improvement in the sound quality with the 5th gen to me.

I'm in portland, oregon area, but also frys electronics is getting there first store shipments in the 29th (tomorrow) :D

Also to add here there's 2 locations in portland that has them in stock, just not advertised yet.. I go up to the guy in charge of the mp3, pdas, cellphones, etc and im like so do you guys got the zen vision m in. He responded by saying no sir I dont, then standing behind me the creative rep. The creative rep was like they do have them in stock, and the clerk and him got into it. So in the mean time the creative dude pulled his zen vision m out to let me check it out. Then about 10minutes later I walked out with my brand new black vision: m.

outpost.com link or frys hehe ---> http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4708139?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Very cool. Dapreview is also saying the Zen Vision M is in stock at some stores. I am trying to figure out what stores to call, would that be Frys and Best Buy? Any more electorinic stores that I should call?

Very cool. Dapreview is also saying the Zen Vision M is in stock at some stores. I am trying to figure out what stores to call, would that be Frys and Best Buy? Any more electorinic stores that I should call?

confirmed

yep outpost = frys

best buy

Not-confirmed

Compusa

Circuit City

Staples

Typically though, best buy is the first to get creative players, circuit city is right behind best buy usually by 2-3 weeks. Its the wait and see game :whistle: