iPod Video Vs Creative Zen Vision:M

DeadOnArrival

I downloaded a TV show off of Itunes. Its in M4V format. Is there a way I can capture this to my Vison M?

Im not really sure, because i think they have protection on the content. IF you wanted to be tricky though, you could hook your ipod via av cable and record it with a tv tuner / set top box and then take that and encode it. I'm not really sure, maybe some one here knows.

bgmagic

Ok. I got the Vision:M but I looked at the picture of the video cable on creatives website and it looks just like the cable for my DV cam. 3 RCA plugs and a 3 part 3.5mm jack. Problem is I tried to use that but it didn't work. I tried switching around the RCA plugs on the tv thinking mabye the colors aren't the same as a standard cable but that didn't work either. Does anyone know of a cable that will work with this. No one seems to be talking about the video out capability and I really want to see what this thing looks like on a TV. Can't seem to get the "official" cable anywhere either.

Thanks

3284lmm

Yes but its not available in Stores yet, just through their online store :(

eavere

i just bought the vision:m 2 days ago and i must say its the best portable device i've ever had .

the screen is brilliant for a device like this , and the clarity is superb. video out is also excellent , the output looks better than connecting my laptop to the tv.

sound quality is also brilliant for an mp3 player. the included earphones are just good nothing more "still better than most of the other offerings, but when connected to my HD 595 or klipsch 2.1 speakers the vision"m shows a great potential.

transfering files to the zen is very easy , just right click on any file or folder and choose send to vision:m , or you can use windows media player 10.

menu navigation needs getting used to , but nothing hard here "no need for those ipod schools :no: "

all in all this is a job well done creative, i'm eagerly awaiting their new devices to be build on the x-fi line.

p.s. people who say this device look ugly are just blind, the black one looks really cool, and with the screen turned on this thing is marvelous.

.Ryan

i just bought the vision:m 2 days ago and i must say its the best portable device i've ever had .

the screen is brilliant for a device like this , and the clarity is superb. video out is also excellent , the output looks better than connecting my laptop to the tv.

sound quality is also brilliant for an mp3 player. the included earphones are just good nothing more "still better than most of the other offerings, but when connected to my HD 595 or klipsch 2.1 speakers the vision"m shows a great potential.

transfering files to the zen is very easy , just right click on any file or folder and choose send to vision:m , or you can use windows media player 10.

menu navigation needs getting used to , but nothing hard here "no need for those ipod schools :no: "

all in all this is a job well done creative, i'm eagerly awaiting their new devices to be build on the x-fi line.

p.s. people who say this device look ugly are just blind, the black one looks really cool, and with the screen turned on this thing is marvelous.

LoL, i have to write a paper for school and it can be on anything and i am writing about this :laugh:

My question though, is to eavere, where did you get it and where do u live ?

eavere

i bought it from a local shop in dubai for $320 , actually you can find it in every electronic shop here.

i'm going to send one for my brother in scotland tomorrow along with the AV cable, dock and leather case , so if you're anywhere near that i can send you one "free shipping" ;)

.Ryan

Where is dubai ? Im in the U.S

3284lmm

let see here :rolleyes: ... the AV700 is $500-600USD, the Vision:m is half that. The AV700 is a PMP, the Vision:m is semi pvp/DAP let be realistic here. :blink:

Bitey

It's also about 5 times as big. I would love to see that in a pocket.

thethiefyouhail

Aahahahhah, yeah i still want the vision m...

screw them both.

I would get a Archos 700 over ipod or the zen vision.

http://www.archos.com/products/tv_centric/av_700/

that + Nano for mp3's and urset!

The Cowon A2 looks better in terms of price/features; it's about the size of the PSP, 480x272, 32-bit color, 4 inch screen, includes a FM tuner, supports more audio formats than the the Creative or Apple, and can record audio/video as well. Only $360, $30 more than the Vision:M and $60 more than the 30 GB video ipod. Too bad it's only 20 GB and I've read Cowon's support isn't the best, though they make the X5 and that's highly rated.

http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/cowon/a2/index.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16855603834

If I wasn't happy with my ipod, and if it had a bigger HD, I'd probably get that.

TheStairway1971

Well, i've been reading this thread for a while. extremely helpful in every way, hah.

i'm getting one as soon as it comes out. and like that one dude (i forgot who : ) ) i'm from michigan. and yes, circuit city has it. i'll be goin' there soon.

i used to have an iPod. i traded it in 'cause they're made like junk. Break so easily. My best friend has an iPod and he refuses to say that anything but iPods are any good. Yet he's ahd to send his in three times for breaking. And he's on his fourth one right now. And just yesterday, he turned it on and up popped an unhappy face. A died. A freakin' unhappy face! i'm not even joking. that's funny, there.

he still claims iPods are the best...

and just for some info. buy all your electronics taht you possibly can at costco. I'm not even joking. I love that place. It's about forty dollars cheaper than the factory, a free lifetime warranty. I bought my old iPod thirty gig photo there. I didn't like it, so i gave it back. They didn't even ask any questions, just handed me back my 350 dollars. Then i got the toshiba gigabeat, which was alright, and then i took that back for the iRiver PMP 120. i like my PMP a lot, actually. Despite it's size. But now I see this Creative Vision: M. i hope costco get's 'em soon. if not, i can't wait. I'll just go to ciruit city : ).

And thanks again, This thread has been extremely helpful.

:shiftyninja:

hahaha, ninja : )

kin

I just read a review on the Creative Zen Vision:M

http://www.everythingusb.com/creative_zen_vision:m_30gb.html

It doesnt exactly go head to head with the iPod, but when it talks about the display, video quality etc it does, and my god it makes the iPod Video look bad compared to it.

Its definitely made me more confident in buying the Creative.

good boy go with the creative.

wkkschb

i didn't read any of the post...so this might have been posted before but...

people who complain about the conversion required for the ipod, please try using the ATI video converter which is free and the fastest of all the converters...it takes around 5 mins to convert xvid encoded lost episode - 340mb - and the file size comes out to 156mb.

so this is my 2cents.... although ipod cannot play various codecs it supports the best compression codec - h.264 - and the fact using programs such as ATI video converter...it takes no time in converting and the fact the file size decreases from divx it is more efficient in size to quality ratio.

enjoy...

Bitey

people who complain about the conversion required for the ipod, please try using the ATI video converter which is free and the fastest of all the converters...it takes around 5 mins to convert xvid encoded lost episode - 340mb - and the file size comes out to 156mb.

so this is my 2cents.... although ipod cannot play various codecs it supports the best compression codec - h.264 - and the fact using programs such as ATI video converter...it takes no time in converting and the fact the file size decreases from divx it is more efficient in size to quality ratio.

enjoy...

Lets see, I can can convert videos or I can drag and drop. The Zen auto-sizes videos, so I don't have to even convert videos to special bitrate or size requirements. With the ipod, even when you have a H.264 file, you have to convert to certain sizes. :whistle:

The far majority of videos are in mpeg, avi(DivX and Vxid) and WMV. Check torrents, p2p, DRM crap and homevideos. The loss you would take from going to a common format to h264 would also negate any quality gain. Hopeful you reliaze that halving the file size and going from codec to codec lowers the quality. It is very debatable whether H.264 is the best codec. Even if it was, the fact is, the screen and TV-out (640x320 compared to 320x240) is superior on the ZVM.

It also seems that H.264 is slow to recode and hard to put on:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...417932&hl=H.264

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...415663&hl=H.264

TheStairway1971

so, i agree with bitey on everything.

but dude, you don't seem to compromise at all. don't get me wrong, i've agreed with everything you've said. but these are people's opinions most of the time. he was just giving advice to those who have iPods and are confused as to how to convert them. He wasn't saying it's better than the creative.

just something to keep in mind, bro. : )

and so, i'm thirty dollars short of getting one now. oh boy oh boy, i can't wait : ).

what's the cheapest anybody's found them for so far? 330 is the cheapest i've found.

TheStairway1971

so i was reading somewhere in this thread that the Zen is only 0.3" deeper than the iPod G4.

Well, i just compared the sizes from the official iPod/Zen sites, and here are the specs:

iPod- 4.1 X 2.4 X 0.4

Zen-- 4.1 X 2.4 x 0.7

That's the 5G iPod, not fourth.

So it's even smaller than we wree saying previously.

Maybe i just read wrong before, in which case i'm probably sounding like a dumb****.

who knows.

mittybrah

what's the cheapest anybody's found them for so far? 330 is the cheapest i've found.

I bought my at buydig.com for $314 plus shipping

SKU Description Qty Price (per unit)

CLZENVISM30GIGB Creative Labs Zen Vision M 30GB - Black 1 $314.95

Subtotal: $314.95

Tax: $0.00

Shipping: $10.95

Grand Total: $325.90

It was shipped out of New Jersey and I am in New York so I had this player the next day.

UPDATE: buydig.com no longer sells it for $314 but I found a site that sells it for $313.95, however, it is on blackorder.

http://www.digitallyunique.com/viewproduct...oductId=4109925

TheStairway1971

just checked that site. they're out of stock right now.

i'll probably just end up at circuit city for 329

thanks though.

anybody else find a cheaper place?

MonkeyClaw

enjoy...

Hope you guys do know that iTunes will now convert videos to iPod format with no problem and unlike QuickTime Pro (which is awesome, lol) is free.

gnuman

How come no one looks at Archaos for their video viewing? IPods sell like hot cakes cuz they barely last a year. The reason they don't because of crap batteries and hard drives. Then I will see flaming posts but oh well. If you take an IPOD don't forget to get AppleCare because your investment will be worthless after 18 months.

Bitey

To add more to why ATI video converter is bad: Only works with ATI X1800 cards and ATI driver. That cuts it out for about 1% of the PC population. Unless of course, you can find the cracked version on the net.

But the fact remains, and you have two choices: Convertion fun or Drag and Drop. No size requirements, low codec requirements.