iPod Video Vs Creative Zen Vision:M

saxondale.

Ordered it yesterday, so hopefully mid-late next week

PaulCabby

I want one...

Also go Bitey!!!

xxdesmus

oh man I am so pumped to get mine...i'll post pictures as soon as it arrives :woot:

Bitey

I am tempted to buy one from Austrilla. But I am still holding on to the hope that Frys or Best Buy get there act together.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CREATIVE-ZEN-VISIO...1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway, I will look foward to seeing some user reviews. So far users with the zen vision m on misticriver and the creative forums seem quite happy.:)

saxondale.

oh man I am so pumped to get mine...i'll post pictures as soon as it arrives :woot:

What colour did you go for?

xxdesmus

definitely black :yes:

saxondale.

Good man :)

Slimy

I plan to get black too; however it sux that it's not ALL black :(

xxdesmus

^^ yeah I know, I am just glad we can change the theme color ...I was worried for a minute when I saw the purple theme. That will be changed the second I power this baby up :laugh: :yes:

PaulCabby

Hmm I definately want one now.

3284lmm

Its pathetic, go to your local Best Buy or Fry's and ask if they have the Vision:m in stock, just be prepared to get one of those "what the hell is that" faces. I think... "hey don't you specialize in this department"... :blink:

.Ryan

Yep, thats wat always happens. Any supportive Best Buy ppl here?

Bitey

New Review:

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=1341

Zen Vision M

WHAT IS IT?:

MP3 player with video and image playback

THE GOOD:

Screen, ease of use, FM radio, voice recorder, charger included

THE BAD:

Thicker than its competitor, not Apple Mac friendly

WE SAY:

Dare we say it, this is the new iPod killer

SCORE:

9/10, Editor's Choice

xxdesmus

I just hope to god *knock on wood* the software that comes with it doesn't suck. I'd rather not use WMP, but if it's better than Creative's software than so be it.

Bitey

I believe you can use creative's software, WMP, and other software. I have heard you can use MusicMatch or Real with some creative players. Open source software like Notmad Explorer(http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/) also work.

This isn't the ipod, you aren't stuck in one piece of software.;)

Quillz

Since the battery isn't user-replaceable, does that mean Creative will be offering a battery replacement program similar to Apple's? I still think this unit would have been that much better with a user-replaceable battery, like on the Zen Touch.

3284lmm

The Zen touch didn't have a user replaceable battery :blush:

SomeAzn

I believe you can use creative's software, WMP, and other software. I have heard you can use MusicMatch or Real with some creative players. Open source software like Notmad Explorer(http://www.redchairsoftware.com/notmad/) also work.

This isn't the ipod, you aren't stuck in one piece of software.;)

1. Notmad is not open source. You have to pay for it.

2. I have no idea why people keep saying the iPod is stuck with one piece of software. In fact, the iPod probably has more choices any other player. Musicmatch, Foobar, Winamp, Anapod, Ephpod, Xplay, Xport, RipPod, iTunes...etc. That is just what I can think off the top of my head. All these programs can send music to the iPod, rip music off the iPod and pretty much do whatever you need.

Not only that, these software choices arn't even new. If I remember correctly, Ephpod was the first piece of popular software that allowed you to use the 1G iPod with Windows and I remember when I bought my first iPod (before iTunes came out for windows), the iPods shipped with Musicmatch to transfer music. AKA, this is around early 2003.

I think another big thing that no one has mentioned was that you can install Linux onto your iPod and have it do all kinds of amazing things. For example, you can play Doom 1 on your iPod, GBA games...etc.

Bitey

Yes, but there are tons of other software that works with creative and dell players. Much of it is open source like http://sourceforge.net/projects/libnjb/. Anyway, thanks for dispelling the myth that ipod somehow is using special and wonderful software.

My bet is that you have been trying to jump in to flame the creative all day, but these good reviews and specs/facts are making it diffcult.(from the fact you are arguing about petty things)

spIdeZ

Bitey, you're the one that is a fanboy, if anyone even suggests that there may be a flaw with the Creative player then you jump down their throat :rolleyes: You're just like all the other people who hate stuff just because it's popular and make fun of other people like they are dumb little sheep following the crowd. The truth is, the Ipod is an excellent Mp3 player, but if you don't like it, that doesn't mean you have to get angry at people who do like it.

BoozeMan

You can install different OS on all mp3 players(iaudio comes to mind), that is not only for the ipod. All the mp3 players are built rather similar.

Under 1 percent even know about the games. Those that do know they are gimmicky and a waste of time. I will buy a PSP if I want to game on the go, not gimmicky crap that takes forever with the ipod. People that buy the ipod are generally tech-wise horrible. They buy it for looks and social needs.

Stop Spreading Lies.....

Bitey, you're the one that is a fanboy, if anyone even suggests that there may be a flaw with the Creative player then you jump down their throat :rolleyes: You're just like all the other people who hate stuff just because it's popular and make fun of other people like they are dumb little sheep following the crowd. The truth is, the Ipod is an excellent Mp3 player, but if you don't like it, that doesn't mean you have to get angry at people who do like it.

It isn't an "Excellent" mp3 player. It is bought because of marketing and social needs. Go try the Iaudio or a good iriver and come back to me. Very few even research other mp3 players.

Then again, like Bitey said, the people against him don't post facts or specs, just subjective opinions.

spIdeZ

Are you telling me that my opinion is wrong? I have tried Iriver players and the Zen touch and micro (although not the Zen Vision). I don't need an FM tuner or voice recorder and I don't care if there is a slight difference in the sound quality. I don't even have good enough headphones to hear any difference. To me it looks like the Zen Vision has the same weaknesses as all the other previous Creative players - crappy interface, bad looks, little third party support, and now it is actually more expensive than the Ipod!

Bitey

lmao....I guess Screen Colors/Quality, Battery life(Twice as much for video), TV out resolution, Customizable Screen/Theme/Background features, Cheaper(AC Adapter, among other "accessories" for the ipod are included), codec support(WMV9/DivX/VidX/MPEG4) , no advanced conversions, Video playback time, picture viewing - zoom and pan, custom equalizer , Superior sound quality(97db)- all don't matter as well.

None of the reviews seem to have a problem with the interface. Most say that it is in fact, VERY nice.( Ignoring the fact the ipod ripped off creative's hierarchy interface). Uses the effective Zen Vision interface, not the Sleek interface. Nice random opinion about the looks, I think it looks nice.

Links

Register UK

95 percent out of 100

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=1341

(Editor's Choice)

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/portable_av/0...9097200p,00.htm

(Editor's Choice)

http://www.clubic.com/article-30174-1-le-d...on-m.html(kills the ipod, Editor's Choice)

http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comme...ews.2707(Review said "better then ipod")

People that have it(MisticRiver Admins) say:

Using another form of spelling for iPxd is appreciated since google bots do crawl the sites and having ads for iPxd on an iriver site just doesn't make sense.

I think everyone knows my stance on the iPxd. Nice build, good ergonomics but like a belly button "everyone has one"

I prefer to be different although i borrowed a 5G iPxd for a week to try it out. Gastly video support and the picture quality was "ok" Easily scratched, comes with nothing and you must use Axxle proprietary everything to make it work good.

The Vision:M is a nice unit and definitely not a knock off. As was stated above companies like Creative and Axxle take a long time from dream to conception to design to build to launch. And as was stated above, there are only so many ways to design a usable product. Having owned a Micro I can tell you that the navigation on this unit is superior, the touch pad is not as "crazy" as that on the micro. The button pad is very solid and some will call the buttons too stiff but i like the response. The screen quality is the biggest bit of argument for most and I can assure you that the screen on the Vision:M just looks better than that of the 5G iPxd. I'll attach some photos later if i can. i'm at my parents house taking care of some family stuff.

edit: ok, a couple of pics... showing video playback, album art and the main menu with custom background

No sync issues and all the videos I have on there are high bitrate (1000kbps +) Xvid or DivX and of course this player supports 30fps so video is wonderful.

Try converting video into the "proprietary" axxle format and see how much fun you have with it

I worked on the ipod for hours for a buddy with negative results. If you're looking to just throw video onto the thing and go as most people are, then the Vision:M is a much better unit. Just received mine yesterday and it's a very nice little player. As I stated over at PMP Maniac, I bet I can put the Vision:M anywhere that a 5G iPxd can go, the whole thickness issue is a load of sh*t in this day and age of mere millimeters.

Regarding the design being a ripoff. One thing to remember is that these players are not imagined, designed and manufactured in a mere couple of months, it takes a year or longer. The Vision:M was on the drawing boards and being designed long before the release of the 5G iPxd and as was mentioned above, there are only so many ways to design a player.

http://www.misticriver.net/showthread.php?t=33127&page=3

Conclusion:

I would called your opinion "unfounded" and "unresearched".

Edited by Bitey

SomeAzn

You can install different OS on all mp3 players(iaudio comes to mind), that is not only for the ipod. All the mp3 players are built rather similar.

Under 1 percent even know about the games. Those that do know they are gimmicky and a waste of time. I will buy a PSP if I want to game on the go, not gimmicky crap that takes forever with the ipod. People that buy the ipod are generally tech-wise horrible. They buy it for looks and social needs.

Stop Spreading Lies.....

You agree with me that you can install games and apps onto the iPod and yet you also claim that I am spreading lies...?

You might need to re-read what you posted.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, the Creative Vision doesn't have any new OS's that you can download or any new games. In reference to the iAudio, to the best of my knowledge, the only "hacks" are simple things like replace a graphic or animation here and there. Nothing profound or even slightly close to the stuff you can do on an iPod. There is no need to insult the intelligence of basically everyone that owns an iPod. Perhaps, just maybe, people actually LIKE the iPod for what it is.

I mean, when I bought my iPod back in 2003, no one had any clue what it was. But then again, I'm pretty horrible tech-wise. I guess I was just filling my social needs huh?

Edited by SomeAzn