iPod Video Vs Creative Zen Vision:M

Chicane-UK

This would never beat the iPod. Creative needs to come up with a killer product which I personally feel they have yet to do... and for every amazing 'thing' they add to their products, it fails on something else.

Biggest hurdle I see is lack of industry acceptance.. at the end of the day Apple may be saddled with DRM and restricted TV shows but they have major networks interested because of that protection - stuff like XviD is just going to scare away content providers! And thats where the money and interest will always be.

Keep trying Creative.

Michael1406

iPods are smaller, but I like Creatives better. I compared my Zen Touch 20GB to my mates old 3rd gen iPod (20GB) and obviously his was smaller. Yes, the Zen Touch does cause a bit of a bulge in my pocket, but I'm nothing but happy with my mp3 player. And also, if one does, then they'd all no doubt show. There's things I like about iPods, but there's also a list similar in size of things I don't like. Creatives seem to be a better mp3 player brand to me, although I wouldn't say no to a free iPod. :p

Whilst I don't see the point in colour/video mp3 players, I really like the look of the Vision:M.

iPods are the most popular beccause for whatever reason they got the initial boost, and it threw them right out ahead of the rest of market. They've stayed there because the average Joe doesn't know about a Creative Zen. Hell, before I told my sister to get a Zen Micro, she thought mp3 players were all called iPods.

iPods are smaller, but I like Creatives better. I compared my Zen Touch 20GB to my mates old 3rd gen iPod (20GB) and obviously his was smaller. Yes, the Zen Touch does cause a bit of a bulge in my pocket, but I'm nothing but happy with my mp3 player. And also, if one does, then they'd all no doubt show. There's things I like about iPods, but there's also a list similar in size of things I don't like. Creatives seem to be a better mp3 player brand to me, although I wouldn't say no to a free iPod. :p

Whilst I don't see the point in colour/video mp3 players, I really like the look of the Vision:M.

iPods are the most popular beccause for whatever reason they got the initial boost, and it threw them right out ahead of the rest of market. They've stayed there because the average Joe doesn't know about a Creative Zen. Hell, before I told my sister to get a Zen Micro, she thought mp3 players were all called iPods.

For Creative to beat Apple, they have to come out with better marketing and enough features that it's better than the iPod in areas that people care about. Whilst I feel that having a FM tuner is a waste and don't have much use for line/mic recording, some people might want that. However, lots of players do that. In the case of the Vision:M, it's has a similar form factor to that of an iPod video, not really pushing the limits there, nor is it very original at all, but then again, lots of players have a similar form factor.

It basically matches the iPod on price, once you throw in Apple's overpriced AC charger. The interfaces are very similar, but the Apple still has the edge in integration, hardware UI and branding. Apple's marketing is top notch, it's not Apple's fault Creative can't market themselves. Like Palm is with PDA's, Apple has become synominous with MP3 players. Microsoft may have stolen a large share of the PDA market from Palm, but that had more to do with Palm not listening to the market than MS making a superior PDA. Going down the road of adding more features won't win anything except perhaps the geeks, normal users just give a crap as long as that product works for them. Marketing helps too.

Bamsebjørn

One thing I don't understand... in december 2004 Toshiba anounched that it had created 80GB harddisks for usage in an iPod. It's 2006 now... why on earth is Creative using 30GB harddisks, and Apple using maximum of 60GB's?

I remember 1 video player that has a 100GB harddisk, though I'm not sure if it uses a 1,8" drive.

Still... why only 60GB?

I've converted all of my Star Trek: TNG DVD's to iTunes, and my music collection is approaching 30GB at the moment. 60GB will only barely be enough... but not for long. I need at least 100GB!

I sure hope we'll get more Gigabytes soon... :yes:

Slimy

^ Because most people don't need the space, and they would rather pay less and get more space ;)

wetlegs6

My friend had a 40gb iPod (before the battery died) and he only ever used about 5 of it...

I won a free nano in a competition and so far im very satisfied with it - but 2 months before I was itchingly close to buying a zen micro.

I personally find creatives products to be much better built and designed then apples (not in terms of looks, in terms of upkeep and component replacement). EG: the zen has a removeable back plate so you can easily replace the battery when it died - and the batteries only cost about ?10.

For my mate to get a new battery in his iPod, he spent nearly ?80 (?!?!) sending it off to apple and getting it replaced.

Bamsebjørn

^ Because most people don't need the space, and they would rather pay less and get more space ;)

But I need more space... isn't that reason enough? :huh:

:shifty:

chrisgeleven

You are not understanding that when you have 7000 songs how long it takes to load itunes.

And how long it takes to scroll through about 1000-2000 different artists

And how you cant use your ipod on multiple computers and still sync it with your library\

And if you dont want to have all 100 gigs of your collection on your player

I have 7,000 songs in iTunes (both Windows and Mac) and it seems plenty fast thank you very much.

Myself and most users just use the shuffle function. Or if we want to narrow it down to artists, create playlists that do that.

Most users don't need to sync with multiple computers.

Name me how many iPod users have 100 GB of music?

Fact is, most people don't need all of those fancy features. Most users are at a computer once or twice a day, where they can quickly create a couple smart playlists for all songs by a few bands they wish listening to and have the iPod update automatically.

The iPod is fantastic because it is simple and does one job very well: play and organize music. You might like advanced features, but most people don't.

If you want advanced features, go to another player, be my guest. But I and 9 out of 10 users will stick with the iPod because it does exactly what I want, quickly, and efficently.

PaulCabby

For Creative to beat Apple, they have to come out with better marketing and enough features that it's better than the iPod in areas that people care about. Whilst I feel that having a FM tuner is a waste and don't have much use for line/mic recording, some people might want that. However, lots of players do that. In the case of the Vision:M, it's has a similar form factor to that of an iPod video, not really pushing the limits there, nor is it very original at all, but then again, lots of players have a similar form factor.

It basically matches the iPod on price, once you throw in Apple's overpriced AC charger. The interfaces are very similar, but the Apple still has the edge in integration, hardware UI and branding. Apple's marketing is top notch, it's not Apple's fault Creative can't market themselves. Like Palm is with PDA's, Apple has become synominous with MP3 players. Microsoft may have stolen a large share of the PDA market from Palm, but that had more to do with Palm not listening to the market than MS making a superior PDA. Going down the road of adding more features won't win anything except perhaps the geeks, normal users just give a crap as long as that product works for them. Marketing helps too.

To sum that up.

Marketing = Winnage!

Slimy

Most users don't need to sync with multiple computers.

Most users have the ipod and can't ;)

I think he means going to a buddy's house and copying over 100 of his songs to your ipod. Then going to another friend's house and doing the same.

chrisgeleven

I think he means going to a buddy's house and copying over 100 of his songs to your ipod. Then going to another friend's house and doing the same.

If he really wants to do that, burn the mp3s to a data CD and then import on his own computer.

I don't see the big deal. iPod's are designed around the iTunes (or other compatible media player) integration. It allows them to do a lot of cool stuff (smart playlists, quick podcast updates, quick syncing) that loading by Windows Explorer can't do.

iPod's also have a whole database thing going, which lets you do stuff like those playlists, ratings, etc. with ease.

Don't like it? Use another player. Apple designed there's to work with minimal fuss for almost all normal computer users, unlike other players.

After using iTunes to organize my music and sync with my iPod, I cannot see why anyone else would want to use Windows Explorer. So much faster, flexible (in terms of smart playlists), and superior with iTunes.

SomeAzn

I don't understand this arguement. There is a very good reason that Apple doesn't allow this: IT IS ILLEGAL. Yeah, it sucks that the iPod doesn't let you steal music.

Slimy

^ What are you talking about? If that's illegal then downloading music off the internet and putting it on your ipod is illegal. Ipod doesn't block that :rolleyes:

I have a computer at home where I have songs I purchased off itunes store and I have them on my ipod. I have a computer at work, where I have all my cds ripped, let's say 50 cds. I don't own a portable hardrive. I own an ipod though. But I can't transfer my songs from the work comptuer to the ipod? What the hell? I payed for the songs but I can't transfer them?

SomeAzn

^ What are you talking about? If that's illegal then downloading music off the internet and putting it on your ipod is illegal. Ipod doesn't block that :rolleyes:

I have a computer at home where I have songs I purchased off itunes store and I have them on my ipod. I have a computer at work, where I have all my cds ripped, let's say 50 cds. I don't own a portable hardrive. I own an ipod though. But I can't transfer my songs from the work comptuer to the ipod? What the hell? I payed for the songs but I can't transfer them?

First of all, two wrongs don't make a right. Just because you can pirate music online and listen to it on your iPod doesn't mean Apple should do everything in its power to allow you to pirate more. I believe Sony's first few DAP could only play DRM music and no one bought them.

Second, Enable disk mode. Drag and drop onto the iPod. When you get home, drag and drop onto home computer. Problem solved.

And if you REALLY want to listen to the music in those few minutes in between home and work, you can just install Ephpod, Xplay, Anapod, iPodRip, J. River Media Center, Musicmatch..etc and add the music to your iPod.

xxdesmus

I don't understand this arguement. There is a very good reason that Apple doesn't allow this: IT IS ILLEGAL. Yeah, it sucks that the iPod doesn't let you steal music.

oh darn...pets his Sharepod :yes: :shiftyninja: ...i am getting rid of my 3rd gen ipod the second my vision: m arrives ...i can't wait to be apple free again. :whistle:

Silverity

Err, what? No mac support... :blink: I don't have windows in this house :o :shifty:

adobopower

Wow, I might consider one in the future. I like Creative. I had a Zen Micro in the past and it worked well while I had it. Eventually, I bought an iPod nano because I love how small and compact it is. After seeing the pictures and how much better the video quality is, I would definitely choose this over the iPod. I also like the codecs it supports.

(Y) for Creative

everyonejoo

This would never beat the iPod. Creative needs to come up with a killer product which I personally feel they have yet to do... and for every amazing 'thing' they add to their products, it fails on something else.

Biggest hurdle I see is lack of industry acceptance.. at the end of the day Apple may be saddled with DRM and restricted TV shows but they have major networks interested because of that protection - stuff like XviD is just going to scare away content providers! And thats where the money and interest will always be.

Keep trying Creative.

Actually, Creative have partnered with 7 Digital who apparently has 'UK?s Largest Video and Audio Download Catalogue Now Available on Portable Devices'

http://www.7digital.com/creative.aspx

The Zen Vision:M is also compatible with the BBC's new IMP service, Offering 300 hours/7 days worth of TV and radio programs for FREE! (something the iPod wont be compatible with)

Bitey

Yes, as well as Napster and a group of other DRM-friendly services are coming out with video services. Creative also is setting up it's own audio/video podcast site- http://www.zencast.com/

hotdog666al

Err, what? No mac support... :blink: I don't have windows in this house :o :shifty:

Hah :D

Must be a really cool House then :p

Les Paul

the size of thte ipod definitely wins over the vision:M. but with regards to features, i'd have to go with creative. ability to throw almost any video file on the player without having to use quicktime pro to spend time converting it first. the tv-out makes a lot more sense on the creative since the video files will be original size instead of the smaller resolution the ipod uses. too bad the vision:M is nearly twice as thick as the ipod

Since when is smaller better? i prefer the larger Zen vision M because it feels better in my hands. Im not afraid that its going to break like i felt when I held the ipod video. Its so "cool and slim and fashionable"-gag me with a spoon. . All you guys should ask your lady friends about what they think about bigger being better or worse. :p haha, but seriously the fact that it is bigger should not be considered as a flaw without judgment about on else.

MonkeyClaw

Hmm thats weird because I used to use my iPod with both my PC and PowerBook, each with different iTunes Libraries. You have to set iTunes to manual instead of automatic refresh but it worked fine. But after about a month, I stopped using my PC and I reformatted my iPod to HFS+. Now it doesn't work on my PC because PC's do not read HFS. But before that, I used my iPod with both the PC and my PowerBook.

My PC had a massive collection of ripped CDs and my iTunes library on my PowerBook had quite a few as well. When I bought something new off iTunes on my PowerBook, I would sync it there and put those songs on the iPod and when I wanted ripped songs, I would get them off my PC, it was simple as plugging the thing into the dock and then dragging the files from the library to the iPod icon on the side panel.

I did it quite often. Hell even before I bought my PowerBook, I had an iMac G3 that I would use in conjunction with the windows box in the same manner and even for a day or two, I used all 3 in perfect seamless conjunction.

So either you do not know what you are talking about, or you had some problems. I've even hooked up my friends iPod to my PowerBook and transfered songs from that Library to his!

saxondale.

Yep, i can say that the Vision:M is just simply better than the iPod Video. After just having it for a day, i can safely and clearly say the iPod has nothing on the Vision:M. End of.

PaulCabby

Even Misticjeff (From the Misticriver forums. iRiver fan's btw) says the Vision:M is better.

He has access to both players btw.

Bluemonk

You guyz all have to agree with me that the Creative Zen Vision:M is just a rippoff of the Apple iPod G5, and because of that the Vision:M must be a whole lot better then the iPod. When looking at the features the, Creative obviously wins. But there are two things I absolutely hate about this Zen Vision.

1. working with file explorer :x

2. the thickness

I had an iRiver H340, it worked great........or so I thought...... :no: .It took many hours getting my intire music collection on the thing with file explorer. And most harddisk based mp3-players are really sensitive, and so was my H340. In less then a month the thing was broken.....harddisk error. And I think Creative has thesame problem. The iPod doens't have that problem because it loads the files from the harddisk to the flashmemory, instead of just playing it right away.

Oh, and btw, when you buy an iPod 5G or a Creative Zen Vision:M, you should never judge the player on its video features but on the audio features, the video is just an extra.