What was the biggest sports story of 2005?

What was the biggest sports story of 2005?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What was the biggest sports story of 2005?

• New England Patriots win 2nd straight superbowl, 3rd in 4 years.
    • USC destroys Oklahoma and wins 2nd straight National Title.
    • Chicago White Sox lead AL Central for the whole season and win the World Series.
    • UNC gives coach Roy Williams first NCAA championship
    • NHL returns after 310 day lockout.
    • San Antonio defeats Detroit in 7 games in NBA Finals.
    • Danica Patrick becomes first woman to lead a lap at Indianapolis 500
    • Lance Armstrong wins 7th straight Tour de France
    • Michelle Wie, golfing phenom, turns pro at 16
    • Other (please specify)

Lance Armstrong is on roids

How can you say that? There is absolutly no proof! He is by far the most tested professional athlete in the world, multiple tests per day during the tour (And any other time for that matter). The French newspaper tried to set him up with some bogus test from the 1999 tour (It was a "secondary" test sample), and guess what...he came out clean.

Just put this in perspective, the guy just about died from cancer. Why would he even consider injecting potential lethal drugs into his system?

^ lol....the french laboratory(that had the samples) proved, they announced to the midia and nobody pay attention. they even said what products were detected.

Maybe you dont know but laboratories keep samples from previous years to further analises, because the steroids users are always some years ahead the detection methodes.

And dont believe he is the only one.

Other day i saw a ciclism coach from the 80s on a TV show, the guy said ALL of them use drugs.

New England Patriots win 2nd straight superbowl, 3rd in 4 years - didn't watch it

USC destroys Oklahoma and wins 2nd straight National Title - didn't watch it.

Chicago White Sox lead AL Central for the whole season and win the World Series - didn't watch it

UNC gives coach Roy Williams first NCAA championship - what, is this college basketball?

NHL returns after 310 day lockout - watched every press conference

San Antonio defeats Detroit in 7 games in NBA Finals - didn't watch it

Danica Patrick becomes first woman to lead a lap at Indianapolis 500 - didn't even hear about it

Lance Armstrong wins 7th straight Tour de France - didn't need to watch it, been there done that

Michelle Wie, golfing phenom, turns pro at 16 - wasn't she already a pro?

Wasn't it Armstrong's 6th straight win?

Anyway, most of those stories remain as usual, annual events with no real significance, such as the championships won. For the rarest story, I would look at the NHL lockout. Sure, Armstrong did win excessively, but it was no surprise that he won, again.

However, the most important sports story, outside of the North American poll, would have to be the Liverpool win. That is the only soccer/football game that I have ever watched, and it was quite the match with a huge story. That would be the story most internationally identified.

I voted nhl coming out of a 310 day lockout but i will have to agree with liverpool winning the champions league. As any football (soccer) fan will tell you to come from 3-0 down after 45 mins to 3-3 at full time and then to win it in pentalties is near impossible. Let along against AC Milan*

*I think it was AC Milan i can't remember lol :D If it isnt then plz feel free to call me names and correct me.

I voted nhl coming out of a 310 day lockout but i will have to agree with liverpool winning the champions league. As any football (soccer) fan will tell you to come from 3-0 down after 45 mins to 3-3 at full time and then to win it in pentalties is near impossible. Let along against AC Milan*

*I think it was AC Milan i can't remember lol :D If it isnt then plz feel free to call me names and correct me.

It was indeed AC Milan, one of the best teams in the world. To have the passion and the mental ability to come back was amazing, and when we were 3-0 down at half time you could still hear the Liverpool fans singing You'll Never Walk Alone.