[26"-32" LCD TV] and [50"+ Plasma w/ 1080p]

This is my situation:

I have a 42" projection in my gameroom that I use for playing video games, watching DVDs and HD content - mostly NCAA Football / NFL games and some HBO HD.

I need 2 more HDTVs. LCD (or maybe CRT) for my bedroom, and plasma for my living room.

I am not sure which one I will get first. The LCD for my bedroom will be in my living room for a few months (until I get the plasma) if I buy it first. If I get the plasma first, it will go straight on the wall.

I have enough skrilla™ to buy the LCD (I have not chosen one yet), but am tempted to wait a few months to get a large plasma first. However, the whole 1080p situation is making me lean towards buying the plasma later.

Since there are no 1080p broadcasts, is it worth getting 1080p now? Do 1080p capable TVs upconvert DVDs and/or HD broadcasts to 1080p? If I get a 1080p TV now will I be SOL when 1080p is standardized and uses a different input? To sum it up, is it a waste of money to get a TV with 1080p right now?

[this happened to me on my current TV which has a DVI input, I have never been able to use it because every time I hook up anything to it, the device tells me my TV does not support HDCP (which it does), that is another subject and there was a thread about it a while back.]

Now to CableCard slot vs Cable Box

If I get a TV with a CableCard slot, will I have any features besides changing the channel? As in, will the TV display names of shows, times, have a guide, or will it be like plugging regular cable into an old TV and just being able to channel surf?

Snipe™

Edited by Snipe

I'll have to answer the rest later, but cablecard is like plugging your analog cable directly into your old TV. No guide, no video on demand, no nothing. Some sets compensate for this by offering the TV Guide programming guide.

Thanks, that is what I thought (regarding CableCards).

I found this article while doing some research on 1080p ---> 1080i vs 1080p: Should you care? (CNET)

After reading the article it seems like it is a good idea to wait until devices that output to 1080p are more readily available.

Now, which LCD to get? LOL

I am thinking about getting the Samsung 32", it would be a perfect fit for an armoire my wife wants to buy...

Ok, as you read, it's definitely better to wait for official 1080p content before worrying about a 1080p set. By then, connections and HDCP specs could change rendering a current set useless anyway. Sets that show 1080p natively do convert all content up to 1080p.

As for an LCD, if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg on the Sony Bravias, the Samsung LNR line (the 32" you mention) and the Sony A10 lines are very very good sets. Both include their own version of image enhancement (Samsung DNIe, Sony Cinema Black), but the Sony allows you to turn it on and off, I believe. Both sets use the same S-LCD panel, but do differ otherwise. I find the Sony tends to show better reds while the Samsung had better blues. Either set would be a good choice and is probably going to come down to the aesthetics of the units and how they blend into your decor.

Thanks for the info bangbang. I have checked out the Samsung in person, but I don't remember ever seeing the Sony. I will have to check it out when I go shopping.