• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

A departure from OS X

RYFX    0

I use both mac, windows, and linux. I recommend Ubuntu linux. Highly customizable, stable, user friendly, and free :D

Yvo    0

so far the only response to going back to Windows is that OS X is boring? Boring as in... you don't have to spend 10 hours a week anymore maintaining your computer and you finally realized that before OS X all the time you were on the PC you were just fixing the darn thing and not getting any work done.

Yes OS X is boring, thank god it is. I can get all my work done.

Yusuf M.    1,362

I agree. Mac OS computers are quite boring. The first computer I ever used was made by Apple. But ever since I used Windows 95/98, I never really used a Mac computer. Except at school. I am currently using Windows XP and I must admit, there were some stability issues and the only issue I ever encountered on a Mac OS computer was a shut down problem. I'd use Mac OS for stability/functionality, and a PC for performance.

d4t4b0mb    0

You keep your cute little stories and I will keep the knowledge that study after study shows people are more productive on the Apple platform. Next time, try setting up a render farm instead of just buying new PC workstations, that is what VT did when they needed real speed.. and not for render jobs.

Doing what?

pickleman    0

anyone ever think that macs just...well....suck?

I think the majority of macnuts have never truly used a Windows based system. Sure, they may have used them at school but that's about it.

They are just as clueless about WindowsXP as they say Xp users are about OSX.

Edited by pickleman

d4t4b0mb    0

so far the only response to going back to Windows is that OS X is boring? Boring as in... you don't have to spend 10 hours a week anymore maintaining your computer and you finally realized that before OS X all the time you were on the PC you were just fixing the darn thing and not getting any work done.

Yes OS X is boring, thank god it is. I can get all my work done.

If it took you ten hours to maintain a PC per week...I don't think the problem was with the PC. :sleep:

applemoto    0

I dont think macs suck, its just is boring, you cant zap viruses, or fix major problems because os x is soo stable.

Mac-It-Up    0

I dont think macs suck, its just is boring, you cant zap viruses, or fix major problems because os x is soo stable.

so you want to have problems?

don't you have anything better to do with your time like... i don't know.. but anything you want?

dragon2611    13

well i think osx is great u played with fink yet lots of unix/linux apps ported :yes:

d4t4b0mb    0

Okaaaay...so you personally sit around doing "computational fluid dynamics, molecular modeling, nanoelectronics, quantum chemistry, computational biology and large-scale network emulation" all day? I'm pretty sure a supercomputer cluster would make anyone doing any task more efficient. But that really doesn't elaborate on my question. How does owning an Apple iMac or mini make someone more efficient?

applemoto    0

so you want to have problems?

don't you have anything better to do with your time like... i don't know.. but anything you want?

yeah i do but having os x you dont have to do much, having some problems i dont mind. i could do homework, watch tv, play games go for a walk etc :p

sebaz    0

I guess having a reliable dependable work tool means nothing to you. The again, you are looking back to going to windows merely because of games, and because zapping bugs, keeping your virus def. up to date, updating your spyware program and getting windows update every 2nd tuesday of the month, is more "fun"?

To each his own I guess. ..

Mac-It-Up    0

yeah i do but having os x you dont have to do much, having some problems i dont mind. i could do homework, watch tv, play games go for a walk etc :p

isn't that the point tho??

like instead of fixing your computer you can... say go snowboarding? play bball or hockey?

i don't know i kinda of like having my time freed up even if i do nothing with it, atleast i'm not getting annoyed by having to remove spyware or what not.

haha but i guess if you have fun removing that stuff its ok... i guess everyone has their own idea of fun

d4t4b0mb    0

Uh-oh, the flock has been stirred. Might be losing a switcher....sound the alarms! :rolleyes:

applemoto    0

I guess having a reliable dependable work tool means nothing to you. The again, you are looking back to going to windows merely because of games, and because zapping bugs, keeping your virus def. up to date, updating your spyware program and getting windows update every 2nd tuesday of the month, is more "fun"?

To each his own I guess. ..

at my age i dont have to do proper work yet, but i do think people who need to get their jobs done quicky like video editing etc. would rather have a stable OS than a unstableish one because you could have more productivity, and not having to worry about fixing stuff

betasp    56
Okaaaay...so you personally sit around doing "computational fluid dynamics, molecular modeling, nanoelectronics, quantum chemistry, computational biology and large-scale network emulation" all day? I'm pretty sure a supercomputer cluster would make anyone doing any task more efficient. But that really doesn't elaborate on my question. How does owning an Apple iMac or mini make someone more efficient?

No, that question was not in your post. Owning an Apple makes you more efficient because it is easier to use and requires less maintainence than a PC. Its interface is more intuitive for the novice and follows logical design patterns... that is why Windows tries to emulate it. It does not require anti-virus or anti-spyware.

xp1ode    5

No, that question was not in your post. Owning an Apple makes you more efficient because it is easier to use and requires less maintainence than a PC. Its interface is more intuitive for the novice and follows logical design patterns... that is why Windows tries to emulate it. It does not require anti-virus or anti-spyware.

I hate to break it to ya, but i run 2 pcs with windows Xp on them, and i myself dont use antispyware nor an antivirus, and i have 2 years and running with one and 5 months with the other, and i have yet to find either spyware or viruses on my pcs. How is OS X easier to use, and how is it more intuitive, are you just throwing words out there just for fun or because you actually have a point to prove?

Vice    1,593

I think the majority of macnuts have never truly used a Windows based system. Sure, they may have used them at school but that's about it.

They are just as clueless about WindowsXP as they say Xp users are about OSX.

:laugh: You should go into Comedy.

RadishTM    312

I hate to break it to ya, but i run 2 pcs with windows Xp on them, and i myself dont use antispyware nor an antivirus, and i have 2 years and running with one and 5 months with the other, and i have yet to find either spyware or viruses on my pcs. How is OS X easier to use, and how is it more intuitive, are you just throwing words out there just for fun or because you actually have a point to prove?

See the pros and cons - http://www.xvsxp.com/

Radish?

betasp    56

You are by far the exception and not the rule. Those tools are recommended by all pc makers and stores. The fact that you do not run them does not negate the need to run them.

d4t4b0mb    0

No...you stated that people are "more productive" on the Mac platform, and stated there are numerous studies showing this. I asked "doing what" meaning what are those people doing that they are more productive at, and you give me a link to an apple.com page about a supercomputer cluster. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't know many people that sit in their den working on fluid dynamics or nanotechnology.

As for the interface being more intuitive, that is very *very* debatable.

laz45    31

I can say im another guy that doesnt use any anti-spyware or anything like that I just use Firefox to browse and I don't spend 10 hours maintaing it :p. I have an iBook and I love it cause i run apache on it and I can run all the linux apps on it :). So I have everything of both worlds, but i hate that in mac os x you can't right click and create a notepad file like in Windows XP.

Stunna    0

So, do you have any questions about windows XP?

You should buy an AMD X2 processor, if you are planing to sell the quad core.

d4t4b0mb    0

I can say im another guy that doesnt use any anti-spyware or anything like that I just use Firefox to browse and I don't spend 10 hours maintaing it :p. I have an iBook and I love it cause i run apache on it and I can run all the linux apps on it :). So I have everything of both worlds.

No kidding. I could do a format/clean install/complete system resetup with all applications in less than *half* that time.