Changing Shutter speed on Fuji S9000

Okay, I know that S is shutter priority, and if I'm changing the shutter speed, I want to raise the aperture (or the F stop) right?

Every picture I shoot on S or M turn very dark, even with me not changing the shutter speed.

Okay, I know that S is shutter priority, and if I'm changing the shutter speed, I want to raise the aperture (or the F stop) right?

Every picture I shoot on S or M turn very dark, even with me not changing the shutter speed.

well you have to balance the shutter and the aperature (measured in f stops). Aperature is the size of opening which light can get into the camera. Shutter is how long that light gets into the camera.

The smaller the F number, the bigger the opening to allow more light. Such as F/3.5 allows more light then F/5.6. I personally always shoot in Aperature priority mode except when shooting sports.

Right, I've been shooting animals that really don't like to stay put. I wouldn't say the lighting conditions are optimal but its not dark either.

Any recommendations on shooting animals?

Right, I've been shooting animals that really don't like to stay put. I wouldn't say the lighting conditions are optimal but its not dark either.

Any recommendations on shooting animals?

Put it in S mode and try 1/160 to 1/200th. Also if they are still coming out to dark increase the ISO speed one stop