• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

???Mount CD as HDD???

jessejlt    0

I have a bunch of programs that I would like to install on my future iBook. Currently, the programs are on my HDD as *.dmg files. Windows doesn't recognise .dmg as anything, and since I won't be buying the cdrw model of the iBook, I was wondering how to burn the software over to cd so that I can install it on my mac?

Now I was told that I could burn the .dmg file as a .dmg file onto a cdrom, and then simply mount the burnt cd as a drive on my iBook, then install the software from there. Only problem is I have no idea of how to do this. So how would I go about mounting a cd as a HDD in my iBook?

Or perhaps you know of a better solution to my problem. If so, what is it?

Thanx

jesse ;-)

benthebear    314

I don't know if this helps, but I just burnt the .dmg files to a CDROM from my Windows PC and then I popped the cd into my iBook. Then I dragged the files from the CD onto my desktop (or folder) and I clicked on the file and it installed from there.

Timan    554

do this

use diskcopy to convert the dmg into a cd/dvd master. it then should give it the .cdr extension, then load up nero on ur pc and it burns PERFECT bootable and all that fancy crap. when it ask you the way u want to burn it pick hvf and it should work perfect :)

need help msg me up on msn at unsanity@cox.net

or Aim/iChatt at Timan25@mac.com

cerbero    0
Originally posted by Tim

do this

use diskcopy to convert the dmg into a cd/dvd master. it then should give it the .cdr extension, then load up nero on ur pc and it burns PERFECT bootable and all that fancy crap. when it ask you the way u want to burn it pick hvf and it should work perfect :)

need help msg me up on msn at unsanity@cox.net

or Aim/iChatt at Timan25@mac.com

But then he would have to transfer them to his iBook first anyway right? And then back to the PC for burning. So really no point in it..? :)

Dazzla    5

I take it you have a load of .dmg's on your windows machine. This is what I done before I bought my iMac.

All you have to do it burn them simply as files on an ISO 9660 (? Standard CD in Nero), when you get your Mac just double click them on the CD and they will appear on the desktop as drives.

Simple.