Unlocking Original Xbox Hard Drive

I tried searhing through xbox-scene.com but their search engine is down.

I have a modded Xbox with 80G harddrive.

I also have an original xbox seagate 9G harddrive from another modded Xbox which I modded for someone a long time ago. I don't have access to that xbox anymore, but I still have the xbox 9G harddrive. Now I want to make use of it, but it is still locked. How do I unlock it? Can I do it with my modded Xbox or maybe with some sort of PC app?

You can't. Unless you were to have the Xbox's EEPROM or unlocking key on you, or if the drive is currently unlocked, there's no way you can use it.

You can't. Unless you were to have the Xbox's EEPROM or unlocking key on you, or if the drive is currently unlocked, there's no way you can use it.

I posted the same question on xbox-scene.com and one person said it was possible:

If your modded xbox is hard modded, then yes, you can use it. Download AVALAUNCH dashboard to your big HDD. Then load it and hotswap to your 9GB HDD. Then go to the HDD menu in the AVALAUNCH Dashboard and it will allow you to unlock it.

Now what does he meaning by hotswapping? Yank out the power and IDE cable while the system is running? If so, isn't this a bit dangerous as it can corrupt the data on my big harddrive?

Now what does he meaning by hotswapping? Yank out the power and IDE cable while the system is running? If so, isn't this a bit dangerous as it can corrupt the data on my big harddrive?

yeah, thats what hotswapping is

it could damage your hdd if you're not careful

i've done it myself and and as long as you're careful, you shouldn't do any damage

ide drives are NOT made for hotswapping and will most likely kill it.

Sata drives ARE made for hotswapping. To be honest i just think the guy lied and is trrying to get people to kill their drives

Hot swapping still won't work though. What the person at XS was describing was based on the assumption that you know the key. With the key, you could load up avalaunch on your box, then while avalaunch is in memory, you could swap in the old HD and use its unlocking tool with the key you were presumed to know.

Here's an article clarifying hot swapping.

ide drives are NOT made for hotswapping and will most likely kill it.

Sata drives ARE made for hotswapping. To be honest i just think the guy lied and is trrying to get people to kill their drives

Hotswapping CAN kill it but probly most of the time not, I can not tell you how mean time's I have hotswaped my Xbox HDD with my Computer (before I got my mod chip I was using expolits) my harddrive is still going fine and I must have hot swaped well over 100 times.

It's not like your losing power to the drive or anything, power allway's stays on it's just the IDE cable that comes out.

To be honest i just think the guy lied and is trrying to get people to kill their drives

He's not really lying, but his method doesn't work for my situation, because you still need the unlock password with that method.

Anyway, I stumbled on this thread at xbox-scene.com, it shows that it is indeed possible to unlock the xbox drive: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=451129&st=0

unfortunately, the firmware posted only works on certain drives shipped with the xbox. The drive I have (ST310014ACE) is not supported by that firmware, so I'm still screwed. :(