how to pronounce "Newfoundland"?

Ive always said New-Fin-Land

But Dartmouth is a Canadian City, I was born there and lived there for many years. And being from there, we pronouce it Dart-myth.

Now lets goo douwn the road dere byes, and ave a few!

Yous fancy folks and them tharr fancy ways of sayings things :laugh: I can promise you Dartmouth was here in England looong before it was anywhere else ;) Anywhos, next round on me I think...

Yous fancy folks and them tharr fancy ways of sayings things :laugh: I can promise you Dartmouth was here in England looong before it was anywhere else ;) Anywhos, next round on me I think...

From wikipedia:

The Pilgrim Fathers put into Dartmouth's Bayard's Cove, en-route from Southampton to America. They rested a while before setting off on their journey in the Mayflower and the Speedwell on the 20th August 1620.

So Dartmouth, Devon was there before 1620.

Dartmouth Canada:

Dartmouth, founded in 1750, is a community and former city in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia.

So it looks like Dartmouth, Devon there before Dartmouth, Canada.

Maybe an actual resident of the province should clear the air for you all.

It's pronounced New-fun-land here (I guess the d is somewhat silent). Not New-fund-l'nd or New-fund-lind. They both sound ridiculous.

New-fin-land is also cool.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

People in Saskatchewan (where I am) pronounce it New-Found-Land. However newfies pronounce it New-Fund-L'nd. This is partially because its full of drunk irish/scottish inbreds (j/k). Seriously, its pronounced differently there because of their accents. You'll also notice everyone there pronounce their "r"'s really hard (k-air instead of car).

As a Newfie myself, I'm extremely offended by this. For one, it's more like Newf-in-land. Second, I have never heard ANYONE prounce car "k-air". I don't think you were in Newfoundland if they pronounced it like that.

I moved to Toronto for school this year. Everyone has this impression that we all have crazy accents. But I don't, and most people don't have the accent that we're stereotyped to have. Everyone I met said "You don't sound like you're from New-FOUND-land". I'd correct their pronunciation and then proceed to explain that only small outport communities have any accent at all. It's not the accent that causes us to pronounce it "wrong". It's the way it's pronounced. I don't know where you're getting your information.

why can't you just speak normal englsh like the rest of the world??!!

1) We do speak normal English. We just have our own slang terms, and some of us have a bit of an accent, just like ANY OTHER ENGLISH SPEAKING COMMUNITY. West Coast Americans, Southerners, and then East Coast Americans all have their own dialects and say things that are specific to their area.

2) The rest of the world doesn't speak English. There are a lot of other languages out there, if you hadn't noticed.

Cause then it'd be a boring world.....plus we'd have no one to make fun of

Hope you know we make fun of Mainlanders too. How's that for a "stupid Newf".

I thought "Newfoundland" only referred to the brilliant AMM album. What do you know, learn something new everyday. Good thread revive for me. Oh the link that I give actually states that it was recorded live there. Need to be more attentive then.

As far as I can tell Newfoundland is still there, still inhabited, and apparently still have folk that pronounce it different ways.

Resurrecting old forum posts is also not appreciated unless it serves a worthy cause to the forum. This determination is made by the forum Moderator or Administrator and is not up for discussion.

And if there's enough serious discussion, that's worthy cause enough for me.

I guess it depends where you're from yourself. I mean i go to Barcelona all the time but i never dare pronounce it 'Barthelona'.

Here's a good one, small town near where i live in Scotland called 'Milngavie", see if you can guess how that's pronounced... (tip: Even a lot of the locals don't know why!).

So it looks like Dartmouth, Devon there before Dartmouth, Canada.

The Uk's Dartmouth is mentioned in the Doomsday book, wasn't that 1080 AD or something near that? That's a bloody long time ago hahah :p