• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[CES '06] Denon Shows Off 1080p Upconvert DVD

bangbang023    31
It didn't take long for 1080p resolution to become the holy grail for videophiles, but that highest of high-definition has remained more a theoretical, future-proof goal than an everyday convenience. Why? Even if you own one of the handful of HDTVs available to date that can display 1080p and accept a 1080p signal, it's been nearly impossible to find a 1080p video source. Enter the Denon DVD-5910CI. It's an updated version of 2005's DVD-5910, the $3,500 player that, with the ability to play DVD-Audio and SACD discs and upscale DVD video to 720p and 1080i resolutions, was already top dog in the world of enthusiast video. The DVD-5910CI adds the latest video-processing technology from Silicon Optix and DVDO to enable DVD playback via its HDMI output at resolutions as high as 1080p. So, is having your DVDs upscaled to 1080p worth the DVD-5910CI's $3,800 asking price? It's certainly a hard sale with HD-DVD and Blu-ray players--which promise to offer content in native (not upconverted) high-definition--finally on the horizon, but for those who aren't willing to wait out the impending deathmatch between those two next-gen formats, the Denon DVD-5910CI may well be the ultimate DVD player. Happily, anyone who currently owns a DVD-5910 needn't experience a wicked case of buyer's remorse: Denon will upgrade 5910 owners to the 5910CI for a mere $300--the exact price difference between the two models.

Source and Pictures

jackwanders    0

At least Denon's being nice about letting users upgrade.

the real question is, is there any real visible difference between 1080i and 1080p?

slomo    0

I am still trying to understand this using still picture digital camera concepts. But, wouldn't the resolution depends on how the content was created? What I meant is, if the movie was produced by a 720 scan lines video camera, showing it at 1080 would not add more detail, would it? Compression when putting it in the DVD format also further reduces the resolution and adds aftifacts.

bangbang023    31

It doesn't add more detail as much as it makes the existing detail finer. It does make a difference, a noticeable one. I've seen it with my own eyes time and time again.

slomo    0

It doesn't add more detail as much as it makes the existing detail finer. It does make a difference, a noticeable one. I've seen it with my own eyes time and time again.

I take your word for it. :yes:

BroChaos    1

i still don't get how it can make that much of a difference when your source is still 480p. i guess i've never been that impressed by upconverting.

gunnerhkjp    0

It makes a difference because upscalers in TVs do such a poor job.

Also, it helps to do the upscaling inside the DVD player, since it can work with the raw digital data from the disc. The signal TVs get is analog (before the advent of HDMI) so it has to work with degraded data.

esco    1

would have *considered* getting this if it was last year. It's too close to the HD-DVD / Bluray players to blow $3800 on this now

bangbang023    31

would have *considered* getting this if it was last year. It's too close to the HD-DVD / Bluray players to blow $3800 on this now

Samsung has the DVD-HD1080 coming out soon that will offer similar features for about $250.

sin-ergy    2

A dvd player that costs more than my tv? no thanks :)

b@nned    10

dvds are 480p, right? What will HD-DVD and Blue-Ray movies be?

SonComet    0

i still don't get how it can make that much of a difference when your source is still 480p. i guess i've never been that impressed by upconverting.

The only reason it makes a difference is because good upconverting players are better than the tv at upconverting the signal. So when you have a fixed pixel display unless you are displaying content at native resolution its all about conversion. Hence the reason why a lot of people can't wait for 1080p TV's and 1080p movie players, or even 720p movies to play on 720p TVs. Then conversion won't play such a large role in a good dvd player ;).

Edit: whoops, I didn't notice that this was already answered.

kjordan2001    245

dvds are 480p, right? What will HD-DVD and Blue-Ray movies be?

1080i or 1080p most likely. Although there's the possibility that some content may be 720p as well.