Samsung LN-R238W - Best Settings for Xbox 360?

Hey i just got my brand new SAMSUNG LN-R238W. I was wondering what people thought was the best pictuer for this tv when it came to the xbox 360. If you have this Tv and xbox 360 i want to know what settings you found to be the best for it,including lighting and all that.

Edited by bangbang023

Use VGA instead of Component Cables if the TV allows it, gives you much better picture.

Yep, definitely get the vga cables for it.

what about just like tv, like brightness and contrast ?

GT my system menu looks completly diffrent are u using a theme on it?

I went in to console settings and into display but there is nothing to cahnge other then reselotion and screen format.

Unless i missed something i can't find it.

You definetly need to switch to VGA. I have the Samsung LN-R268W (Same tv, just 26" instead). The difference is night and day, though the picture will look a bit washed out at first (you need to tweak the contrast/brightness), however the colours are more accurate.

However with component.. Personally I'd use 50 for all settings except Contrast (set it to 75). And set colour to normal. See if you like it.

When i use the VGA calbles it does not let me change any setting only contrast and britness how to i make it so i can?

You can't. That's the way Samsung does it. Set your Contrast to 75, and leave brightness at 50 while using VGA. I find it looks the best at those settings. It's far too bright with VGA at 100 contrast/50 brightness.

thanks going to have to try that

Question.. Do you get perfect blacks on your set? I notice a slight blue tint to the background of the set (aka blacks as well). It's very very slight but coming from a CRT (a crappy crt though) you do tend to notice it lol.

Question.. Do you get perfect blacks on your set? I notice a slight blue tint to the background of the set (aka blacks as well). It's very very slight but coming from a CRT (a crappy crt though) you do tend to notice it lol.

I think LCDs are not capable of completely cutting the backlight, especially when the backlight is set to high brightness. Thus, the blacks become dark (very dark) blueish grey since some light seeps out. Its usually not that bad, and most people won't even notice it.

Also, as time passes, the backlight will dim out a little, so that problem should lessen.

On my LCD (I/O data FTV-320H with Sharp panel) I turn down the backlight setting to get better blacks.

And by dialing down the backlight, the set will also last you longer.

I think LCDs are not capable of completely cutting the backlight, especially when the backlight is set to high brightness. Thus, the blacks become dark (very dark) blueish grey since some light seeps out. Its usually not that bad, and most people won't even notice it.

Also, as time passes, the backlight will dim out a little, so that problem should lessen.

On my LCD (I/O data FTV-320H with Sharp panel) I turn down the backlight setting to get better blacks.

And by dialing down the backlight, the set will also last you longer.

Thanks for the helpful info ^_^.

Sadly the Samsung LCD HDTV's don't have any setting for backlight, so I can't really turn it down. I mean it's not really that bad at all. Its only when scenes are completely black (rather then just black's in a picture) that I find myself noticing it. But I'm a bit of a perfectionist (and so are my eyes lol), but I still love the set.

I mean LCD is the best technology for 23-32" tv's. You can't get DLP, or Plasma. The best CRT's are huge, heavy, and only support 1080i.

Guess it's just a matter of choosing the right set. Seems like Sharp and Samsung make the best LCD sets (Sony XBR is supposed to be nice too, but the price is so ridiculous I wouldn't even consider it). And granted, my set has no dead pixels, no apparant light leakage (aside from the normal leakage from the backlight), and is beautiful looking.

Now.. If only Xbox360 had HDMI, because component isn't true 720p and frankly it doesn't look all that good, VGA on the other hand is absolutely beautiful.. Problem though is the fact that their VGA input gives a washed out picture.. Ways to improve it of course but still..

because component isn't true 720p

huh? I don't believe that's correct. Maybe it's specific to the 360, but component cables are capable of carrying a 720p signal.

huh? I don't believe that's correct. Maybe it's specific to the 360, but component cables are capable of carrying a 720p signal.

Well I mean't that there's a loss of pixels when using component cable. You don't get quite 720p. I'm pretty sure it's something that effects all devices but, it's also the major reason why the Xbox360 looks far better on VGA then it does on Component at 720p.

I didn't mean to sound as if component can't handle 720p. I just mean't there's a loss of quality associated with component.