Windows Live Mail Or Gmail

Gmail just about edge WLMail.

Live Mail has a vastly superior e-mail compose interface with real time spell-check, and also has drag-and-drop. And also professional branding with Custom Domain (of which I think will never be offered by both GMail or Yahoo! - and I think @hotmail.com addresses is lame) and also faster loading.

But no signature (how the heck they still doesn't have this), and no full Firefox support (very important).

Firstly, I don't see what that big deal is about the whole 'lack of calender' in gmail. It's mail, not a calender, nor does mail even really associate with a calender, i can use my phone as a calender, i can use the calender on my pc as a calender, why do i need another on my mail? besides, google gave me pop access so i can use thunderbird or outlook or any other good desktop mail program's calender, saves having all my stuff in 2 places ;).

Then of course there's the fact that WLM is built with AJAX and gmail with more or less only javascript. Sure you can go and read into that all you like, but the day google decides to change to AJAX (if ever) they'll have all this 'drag & drop' and 'right click' features up, not a problem.

Oh and the best point is that all of gmail's features work on all good browsers! (i noticed an opera user saying that gmail didn't work properly for their browser, but they did develop a 'html only' version of it so in a sence it still has full capability on all browsers). And again, linking to the fact that IF google used AJAX instead of just javascript, you can still bet your bottom dollar that all their features will work on both IE and FF straight away, with no delay.

Of course no big ad's and quicker load times...etc are nice. Go Gmail...Go Gmail on my phone! WLM can't do that ;)

I prefer Gmail by far. The interface is just more appealing to me and easier to use. The live mail interface seems more confusing than hotmail. Maybe because i'm not used to it. The only gripe i have with gmail is FOLDERS PEOPLE FOLDERS!

@the_mole001: GMail is ALREADY AJAX. What you see is what you get. Also, there's Windows Live Mail Mobile. =) GMail's AJAX app is just simpler, that's all.

@mzhao: Obviously firefox's interpreter doesn't have the features needed to draw such a complex functionality set.

WLMail is the more complex web application. GMail is the simpler web application.

This time though, on merit, WLMail wins, simply because now users are more used to the Outlook-style interface.

Gmail - Lighter and cleaner.

The trouble with Hotmail/Live Mail is it takes too long to sign in and has ads and generally seems slower.

Exactly.

Gmail in my opinion is a lot better than Live Mail, but competition is good!

Gmail - Lighter and cleaner.

The trouble with Hotmail/Live Mail is it takes too long to sign in and has ads and generally seems slower.

Yeah second that

They way you can import/export contacts in gmail is really good too. Thought out etc

Gmail, POPed to Outlook 2003.

WLMail is just a web interface of Outlook, eh ? And if you want all the features you COULD use outlook, so not really a difference. I like Gmail's space.

I prefer Gmail by far. The interface is just more appealing to me and easier to use. The live mail interface seems more confusing than hotmail. Maybe because i'm not used to it. The only gripe i have with gmail is FOLDERS PEOPLE FOLDERS!

Labels are just like folders. In fact, if Google originally had the name as folders, no one would have any issues with it.

Labels are just like folders. In fact, if Google originally had the name as folders, no one would have any issues with it.

Too true - just as much functionality there, people are just scared to use something slightly innovative and different.

I don't see how you can compare is live mail is still in beta.

For Firefox users who want to use live mail, get an extension called "IE tab" and set it up so that the hotmail domain always opens in IE. Works flawlessly.

I think Windows Live Mail is good but I have only used it for a short while, becuase I do not have an OFFICAL Invite. I do not like the BETA news tab, I find that annoying. Gmail is simplistic and has hardly any adverts, I would have to say, G-Mail!

Live Mail is better. Gmail delays messages.

:blink: Delay's messages? If you are talking about milliseconds sure.. but I have NEVER seen a delay in Gmail. I send mail from my servers here at work and before I even log into gmail it is there..... The internet isn't an instant world.. gotta give data a few ms to travel.. :p