See the New Vista Features Demonstrated by Mac OS

This reminds me of those old Apple ads that were out when Windows 95 was released.

Talk about kick ass ads.

http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/gra...ovies/crowd.mov

http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/gra...ingiteasier.mov

Oh and this classic.

Even Bill thought the Mac was good: http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/gra...e-Macintosh.mov

As a convert, when living in a M$ world Mac is the devil.

Being restricted to Apple's platform is quite limiting when the Pc platform gives the user a lot of power and hardware options for a lower cost.

That doesn't deny the fact that Vista's revolutionary features aren't ripoffs of Tiger!!

Personally, I don't care that Vista has features that are almost replicas of OS X - the thing that ****es me off the most is how Microsoft talk about them as if they're brand new innovations; things that Microsoft originally thought of, which is complete bull****. I have yet to hear of a feature in Vista which is something that nobody else has done before. When you look at Vista, it's a huge leap ahead for Windows users, but compare it to what else is out there, and it's simply Microsoft's way of finally catching up.

One, neither of the OS's are "revolutionary". They are each "evolutionary". Each company simply listened to their respective customers and implemented the features that were most needed.

Did Apple do it first? Yes. No doubt about it. So what? They are simply features in the OS. When Apple finally got the 2 button mouse (as a standard, yes I knew there were 3rd party ones a long time ago), did anyone scream "ripoff"? It is simply another company implementing a feature that was needed, or called for.

When the first car included a CD player and the others followed suit, did they scream ripoff? No. It is just as added feature. Live with it, and be happy both OS's improve and listen to their customers.

MS and windows bugs the hell outta me sometimes, but not nearly as much as the Mac. Other people have opposing experiences... ok. At least (generally) windows users don't come off as religious zeolots.

One, neither of the OS's are "revolutionary". They are each "evolutionary". Each company simply listened to their respective customers and implemented the features that were most needed.

Did Apple do it first? Yes. No doubt about it. So what? They are simply features in the OS. When Apple finally got the 2 button mouse (as a standard, yes I knew there were 3rd party ones a long time ago), did anyone scream "ripoff"? It is simply another company implementing a feature that was needed, or called for.

When the first car included a CD player and the others followed suit, did they scream ripoff? No. It is just as added feature. Live with it, and be happy both OS's improve and listen to their customers.

MS and windows bugs the hell outta me sometimes, but not nearly as much as the Mac. Other people have opposing experiences... ok. At least (generally) windows users don't come off as religious zeolots.

true, they come off as pretentious nerds. ;)

...it's a huge leap ahead for Windows users, but compare it to what else is out there, and it's simply Microsoft's way of finally catching up.

I sadly would agree with you, at this point at least. Maybe the final will have some new stuff...

trance: The point of the videos is that you can have all these features today.

Mac rarely "bugs the hell out of me," at least not NEARLY as much as Windows does. It took me about 9 months of learning the Mac inside and out that I realized how far Windows has fallen behind. Sure, if you only come across a Mac every once and awhile, and never really learn how to use it, it is really going to bug the hell out of you because you are use to completely different computer conventions that you are getting from using Windows all the damn time. You need to learn the system to see how painfully simple things are and how the system retains a lot of productive features and at the same time has a real working security model. :astounded:

I would definitely recommend a Mac to anyone, especially people I know who are not very competent with computers or technology. With Windows in their lap, they are holding a ticking time bomb. Mac I will have some peace of mind and not expect a friend wanting me to play support guy for them. I hope Windows security improves in Vista.

Beyond all the sparkles and glitter that they are playing catch up to, Windows needs real security that people don't have to think about for it to be effective. Right now it is their overwhelming support to their 3rd party software vendors that is really holding them back. They really need to draw a line in the sand and make the people who make software on Windows cross the line, or else their software won't work.

Very entertaining videos. Thanks for the post.

trance: The point of the videos is that you can have all these features today.

Mac rarely "bugs the hell out of me," at least not NEARLY as much as Windows does. It took me about 9 months of learning the Mac inside and out that I realized how far Windows has fallen behind. Sure, if you only come across a Mac every once and awhile, and never really learn how to use it, it is really going to bug the hell out of you because you are use to completely different computer conventions that you are getting from using Windows all the damn time. Once you learn the system you see how painfully simple things are yet still retain a lot of productive features and a real working security model.

I would definitely recommend a Mac to anyone, especially people I know who are not very competent with computers or technology. With Windows in their lap, they are holding a ticking time bomb. Mac I will have some peace of mind and not expect a friend wanting me to play support guy for them. I hope Windows security improves in Vista.

Beyond all the sparkles and glitter that they are playing catch up to, Windows needs real security that people don't have to think about for it to be effective. Right now it is their overwhelming support to their 3rd party software vendors that is really holding them back. They really need to draw a line in the sand and make the people who make software on Windows cross the line, or else their software won't work.

Very entertaining videos. Thanks for the post.

Having used Macs in school (against my will I might add) I do know them inside and out... That is both pre-and-post-OSX.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that Windows needs an entirely different security structure, and again agree with you that it is the 3rd party suppost that is holding them back. Unfortunately they have to answer to the industry, and it is those 3rd party software sales that helps boosts windows sales. It is a symbiotic relationship. MS can't change overnight, it would be financial suicide.

Windows is changing, and yes it is going slower than most people would like, but there just isn't much that can be done about it. And if anyone does some real scrutiny at the "new vista security scheme" they would see it is nothing more than a bandaid solution. The biggest mistake MS ever did was allowing everyone to be an admin by default in 2k and XP. Had they stuck with the NT4 model and made sure from the get-go that 3rd party vendors wrote their software right, we would all be in a much better position today.

But again, after all this, my only point is that (it seems) in the Mac world, Steve and Apple can do no wrong, according to the near fanatical users, and I do take exception to that.

At least (generally) windows users don't come off as religious zeolots.

Personally, as a user of both Tiger and XP on a regular basis I believe this is because Mac users are generally happier with their OS/computing experience and therefore more likely to praise and defend it. Windows users are less happy overall with XP/their computing experience and therefore don't feel like fighting to stand up for it. For example while I use both (I'm typing this on XP and in a minute I'll switch to my iBook) I have never defended XP in an argument where someone was talking about how crap XP is, but I have, on numerous occasions (such as this one?) defended Tiger.

As for Vista...well it's hard to be a zealot about a product which isn't in final but I believe come the launch of Vista you'll see far more Windows zealots, and the same when Leopard is released, especially if they are on a par with each other.

Personally, as a user of both Tiger and XP on a regular basis I believe this is because Mac users are generally happier with their OS/computing experience and therefore more likely to praise and defend it. Windows users are less happy overall with XP/their computing experience and therefore don't feel like fighting to stand up for it. For example while I use both (I'm typing this on XP and in a minute I'll switch to my iBook) I have never defended XP in an argument where someone was talking about how crap XP is, but I have, on numerous occasions (such as this one?) defended Tiger.

As for Vista...well it's hard to be a zealot about a product which isn't in final but I believe come the launch of Vista you'll see far more Windows zealots, and the same when Leopard is released, especially if they are on a par with each other.

agreed.

To noobs who always have their xp installation crashing, yes it may be crap. But as someone who can install it for anyone I know, and set things up and then leave it for MONTHS at a time without it crashing or giving "poor computing experiences," I completely disagree with ya...

The point of the video is to show that a lot of the features from Vista, as it stands now, are taken from Mac OS X. Or at least, Apple already has all these features in Mac OS X.

Very nice and diplomatic way of putting it, lol. But yes thats basically it.

Wow, these have been posted at least 3 times that I've seen so far.

Apple ###### are on the same level as browser trolls, IMO. They turn everything into a bash fest, turn every thread about Vista into a Windows vs OSX competition. Sickening. :rolleyes:

I've seen just as many MS trolls turn threads into the same sort of thing so can it. :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't care that Vista has features that are almost replicas of OS X - the thing that ****es me off the most is how Microsoft talk about them as if they're brand new innovations; things that Microsoft originally thought of, which is complete bull****. I have yet to hear of a feature in Vista which is something that nobody else has done before. When you look at Vista, it's a huge leap ahead for Windows users, but compare it to what else is out there, and it's simply Microsoft's way of finally catching up.

Hit the nail on the head. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Bingo, people preach about OS X because it really does provide a much more user friendly environment and a much more efficient way of getting things done. If MS would produce a product that really excels at being good, then there will be much more MS zealots.

To noobs who always have their xp installation crashing, yes it may be crap. But as someone who can install it for anyone I know, and set things up and then leave it for MONTHS at a time without it crashing or giving "poor computing experiences," I completely disagree with ya...

That is a very cliche and dated argument. I used windows for 16 years, thats from 3.1 till XP and in every version there were bugs. You find that once you put up with the little things for a long time, you don't notice it as much but even to the advanced user, there are still things. Even if you do keep windows constantly scanned, updated, de-fragmented, and reformat every couple months like they suggest, you still have to go through all of that to get a good user experience!

Not to bring up a comparison because this is not the venue and really its getting quite stupid, but in OS X, non of that is required to have a nice user experience. Its more productive and efficient in getting things done and thats one of the main reasons people rave and go on about it.

But you are right, for more experienced users, windows will provide a better user experience than if you have no idea what you are doing, but in the end, the hassle it sometimes takes just doesn't compare with what the other side has to offer.

the speech was from microsoft about Windows Vista, what you saw Was Mac OS X Tiger, Apple's OS. What the video means is that all what Microsoft calls new feature are actually stolen from other developers and most of them are from Apple. Windows is just a buch of stolen software put together with el cheapo gluw. Microsoft didnt even make DOS , they just bought it.

Thats why OS X is the better OS as OS X 10.5 will be released when Vista is lounched so Microsoft has a example what to steal in the next OS:P

lame pointless comments like that could only come from a mac user :whistle: .

That was a really mature post thagame, good job, you get a gold star and a big hug! :rolleyes:

The quoted post was a bit harsh but that was the point of the video. I wouldn't say that windows is stolen ideas (some are original, hehe j/k) but a lot had been already implemented in other systems a long time ago. It isn't a bad thing to implement these ideas in your OS since they are good, but to claim that they are innovative and revolutionary, well thats called lying, lol.

stolen eh? if it was stolen theres legal issues that could be brought up. you mac kids always think something is stolen just cause osx has it. oh no sue microsoft they have icons and OMFG not wallpapers. those thieves.

Umm, I didn't say stolen, every industry "steals" ideas from one another. What ****es Mac users off is the fact that the features that are being added into Vista are no where near revolutionary or innovative because others have implemented them into other systems. Its not stealing, its lying ;)

what does it matter. you dont like it dont buy it. im sure microsoft will stay the richest most used company in the world without a few mac users not buying it lol